Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

Roland - you could have got this thread to 11 pages all on your own if you posted once each time you changed avatars!

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is "goodbye old man" from a sketch published in a newspaper after ww1. i was so saddened by it when i saw it hanging in TOC house in flanders last year. there have been several drawings of it over the years, but this one is the most poignant i have seen. says it all.

I read somewhere about a CO who had been summoned to drag a young boy away from his horse after they had been shelled and the horse lay dying. the young chap would not or could not bring himself to leave his horse and was endangering the rest of his co. by not moving.

the story went that instead of being court marshalled the CO said to him "if there were more people like you on this earth with feelings for animals, there would not be the dreadful wars we have seen". I have probably got the words wrong (as per) but that was the gist of the story (read in one of the many factual war books I have had my head stuck in)........ no comments you rude lot!!

susan

Guest gumbirsingpun

my ane is known as the lion rampant, which was adopted in 1165 by William the Lyon to replace the previous symbol o scots sovereignty.

tuna

Mine is "goodbye old man" from a sketch published in a newspaper after ww1.

susan

Susan - it was painted, circa 1915, by Fortunio Matania, to raise funds for The Blue Cross Fund, run by Our Dumb Friends League for the relief of suffering of horses caught up in the war. The Blue Cross (as the charity is now known) still owns the original. Trust me - I work for them :D Steven

Mine is 30864 Private Edwin Tidey 7th (Service) Battalion (The Shiney 7th) Bedfordshire Regt.

Killed in action 10th August 1917 at Glencorse Wood, Near Ypres, Belgium. A member of Kitcheners 2nd Army.

My Great Uncle.

Terry W.

Roland - you could have got this thread to 11 pages all on your own if you posted once each time you changed avatars!

Adrian

forum fillys section perhaps ? :lol:

Mine's pretty self-explanatory. Family regiment going back generations and the cap badge I currently proudly wear!

Susan - it was painted, circa 1915, by Fortunio Matania, to raise funds for The Blue Cross Fund, run by Our Dumb Friends League for the relief of suffering of horses caught up in the war. The Blue Cross (as the charity is now known) still owns the original. Trust me - I work for them :D Steven

Steven, yes I remember now. I sent a donation to the Blue Cross Fund following one of your many amusing replies to some statement or another (think it was something to do with the Christmas santa on the chimney stack that was eventually withdrawn - shussshhhh).

Susan. :o

Steven, yes I remember now. I sent a donation to the Blue Cross Fund following one of your many amusing replies to some statement or another (think it was something to do with the Christmas santa on the chimney stack that was eventually withdrawn - shussshhhh).

Susan. :o

Thanks - keeps me in a job for a bit longer..... :D

to the three Gleed brothers who never returned, they leave a mark in stone, one still missing and one (my grandfather) no grateful record , the price for returning alive!!

Mine is a Short Stirling RAF bomber of the Second World War.

Jon

Thanks - keeps me in a job for a bit longer..... :D

Couldn't let the side down and have you at home all day now could I? Us women have to stick together (no rude comments??!!)

ps; have changed my Avatar to my beloved spike who sadly died last week.

Mine is a Short Stirling RAF bomber of the Second World War.

Jon

Have you seen Michale J F Bowyer's book on the Stirling? Really good

ps; have changed my Avatar to my beloved spike who sadly died last week.

Nice looking chap - you must miss him.

mine is now my cat just for a change!

Dedication/Unveiling Blairgowrie & Rattray War Memorial Sunday 21st June 1921, address by the Duke of Atholl;

"Sometimes when you feel that things are becoming very ‘dreich’, and life is hardly worth living, look at this monument, remember what these men endured and the sacrifices they so willingly made, and you will see that your troubles in proportion are small.

Those that died that we might live have left us a very precious heritage - not only the great legacy of liberty but our own country.

The glory is to those who fell, the honour surely is to us and we owe it not only to them but to those who are yet unborn".

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have to say that I have been most flattered by the amount of interest my latest change has brought about. A true hero to all of us over ** years.....a great star with Eric & Hattie (and Corky the copper).

The great, the one and only, the quintessential Englishman....Richard Wattis.

The fuse for an 18Pdr Shrapnal shell needs little introduction on this forum. My grandad probably fired thousands of them.

Gunner Bailey

For one week only - tank C6 (Cordon Rouge) returning from her objective at Courcellette Sugar Factory, on 15th September 1916, in support of an attack by 2 Cdn Div. Her crew were

• 2Lt John Allan. Initially a Pte soldier (1427) in King Edwards Horse, date of commission unknown but transferred to Hy Sect MGC. Awarded the MC for conspicuous gallantry in action on 15th Septmeber 1916. "He manoeuvred his Tank with great skill under heavy shell fire over difficult and unknown ground, and brought it into a good position for enfilading the enemy trenches, which he succeeded in doing with good effect. A/Capt 12 Apr 1917, employed as an instructor, then served in F Bn and commanded a section of Whippet tanks, in support of the US forces, during the advances in Autumn 1918. Injured whilst serving with B Coy on 8 Oct 1918. No CWGC record. Assumed to have survived

• 2749 Cpl FG Vyvyan later fought with C Bn at Arras, April 1917 anwarded DCM. "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. During the opening of the offensive on April 9 1917, when the officer had been killed, he took charge of his tank and continued to fight it with the greatest boldness and skill. When he could not reach the enemy with his Lewis gun inside the tank, although under heavy fire, he fixed up a Lewis gun on top of the tank, and fired it from there. He thereby greatly assisted the infantry to advance." 2 x MIC but no CWGC record - assumed to have survived

• 2668 Gnr HJ Bedford

• 2633 Gnr EA Hunt

• 2772 Gnr Arthur F Jakins; later 205450 A/Cpl Tank Corps?

• 2640 Gnr William Jones; then 201270 Pte Jones Tank Corps then 2Lt Tank Corps (MIC card confirms)

• 2751 Gnr C Kilminster, probably 206136 Pte Clarence Kilminster KIA/Dow aged 24 on 3 May 1917. Son of George Kilminster 10 Hardinge Ave, Allerton Liverpool. Buried in IVB11 at Duisens Mil Cemetery (location of 8th CCS) near Arras.

• 2636 Gnr VC Newby

• T4/141180 Pte Joseph Barton ASC who rebadged to MGC and Tank Corps. (77478) survived

The Wyvern will reappear

Hello,

At the moment it is me, in my Full No.1 Dress as a piper in the Blairgowrie Pipe band, standing next to the Blairgowrie War memorial in the Wellmeadow, Blairgowrie.

Regards,

Stewart