Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

Yes, but his brother was an utter cad and a bounder to boot!

Too true; too true.

Newish one for me after the headstone of Johnnie Gough for a few years. Picture of 3, 8th Rifle Brigade officers in the trenches at Arras.

To the rear 2nd Lieut. D.A. Ashforth

to the right Capt. A.R. Backus (MC)

to the front Major A.C. Sheepshanks (DSO)

Andy

As an expat living in New Zealand since 1950, I still look back on my national service with RAF 66 Sqdn during 1947/49, so have chosen the Sqdn crest.

From the name Uncle Joe, I expected something more Stalinist.

I dumped Jim Laker for the badge of the Yorkshire Regiment, tart that I am!

Nigel

Spike, our beloved little cat who fell asleep last week...

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

The Union Flag because I'm proud to be British!

My grandfather John Matthews (No242131), orginally of the 2nd/6th Bn Sherwood Foresters - probably transferred to 11 Bn Sherwood Foresters after a period of illness. Killed 17th October 1917.

Reuben Ayres

• 3 weeks later...

My new avatar is a picture of Private Joseph Croft, 2nd Bn Gordon Highlanders, who was KIA on 6 September 1916 aged 17.

Carole

• 3 weeks later...

This thread hasn't been added to for a while, so here's mine.

My avatar is pretty self exlanatory, courtesy of the Diggers web-site.

My paternal grandfather joined this battalion only 3 years after coming to Canada from Scotland

The battalion was virtually disbanded by 1917, and never fought as a unit on the Western Front.

The 74th supplied drafts to other Canadian units. See my signature.

George

My avatar is a photo of Dorothy Parker as she looked during her pre-flapper, war years.

Best,

Jennifer

Mine is of an unknown soldier taken from a group photograph. I was surprised to see that he was wearing sun glasses in 1915. He clearly is a character and looks a bit like the chap who used to play the drums in the Grateful Dead.

Mine is the regimental crest of the 69th Infantry Regiment (New York National Guard), which during the World Wars was federalized as the 165th Infantry Regiment. During WWI it was assigned to the 42nd "Rainbow" Division, and saw action at such places as Rouge Bouqet and the Ourcq River (dubbed the "O'Rourke" by the men of the mostly-Irish regiment). During, WWII it was assigned to the 27th Infantry Division, and fought on Makin Atoll, Saipan, and Okinawa.

My great uncle, Technical Sergeant George Christel, was a Platoon Sergeant with Company I throughout WWII. He received a Bronze Star for Meritorious Achievement on Makin Atoll in 1943, and another for Valor on Okinawa in 1945. Sadly, on 30 April 1945, only nine days after turning 27, he was killed in action.

My avatar and screen name are my way of remembering his service and sacrifice.

My great uncle Daniel Martin TAYLOR killed along with so many others going over the top for the first and final time on 28th June 1915

Mine is of an unknown soldier taken from a group photograph. I was surprised to see that he was wearing sun glasses in 1915. He clearly is a character and looks a bit like the chap who used to play the drums in the Grateful Dead.

:D

Mine is my great-great uncle, Trooper Langford Wild of the 2nd Life Guards, who died of his wounds on 6th February 1915 in a trench at (or near) Ypres. He is buried in Ramparts Cemetery, Ypres. He was 22.

• 5 weeks later...
I thought we were supposed to sacrifice avatars to help with the band width?

Who said?

Mine is stored off-site (only eats your bandwidth, not the Forum's) and is typically 380 bytes, or about 0.16% of a typical 25-post page without photo attachments.

(it also gets updated 200 times per day - what a waste of electricity)