Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

There is a discussion about 'Poilu' in the notes to one of the'Flashman' books by G.M. Fraser. I don't have it to hand, but I seem to recall that he concludes that its use is anachronistic for the nineteenth century, and was a Great War coinage. Of course, it's all part of the conceit whereby Fraser sometimes points out the odd mistake in 'Flashman's' manuscript. No doubt, Dave,you'll be able to give chapter and verse on this. It probably conforms to the 'Mr.Hone's First Rule of Popular Usage and Inventions and Inventors: 'You can always find an earlier example' .

No doubt, Dave,you'll be able to give chapter and verse on this. It probably conforms to the 'Mr.Hone's First Rule of Popular Usage and Inventions and Inventors: 'You can always find an earlier example' .

:lol: I could - but I won't. I'll just mention that the term "Poilu" was first used as a nick-name in the French parts of Napoleon B's Grande Armee and was regarded as a pretty macho term.

Interestingly, it seems that the US Army adopted the early French "grognard" some time after WW2 to describe it's own footsloggers - "Grunt".

Dave.

A section of a Bruce Bairnesfather cartoon - I've been described as looking like 'Ole Bill'

Dave,

Interestingly, it seems that the US Army adopted the early French "grognard" some time after WW2 to describe it's own footsloggers - "Grunt".

I'd always seen 'grognard' translated as "grumbler"

I've heard 'Grunt' described by a Vietnam veteran as being descriptive because, with a full pack you grunt when you move, grunt when you stop and grunt when you put on or take off the pack.

Tom the Walrus

Tom the Walrus

:lol: I could - but I won't. I'll just mention that the term "Poilu" was first used as a nick-name in the French parts of Napoleon B's Grande Armee and was regarded as a pretty macho term.

Dave.

Dave,

you got me thinking as I hadn't heard 'Grognard' before & asked 'elle' indoors.

For me,a poilu was a soldier in the 1st world war.I cant find any mention of it being used before that period for a soldier but that doesn't mean you're wrong.They must have had a term for troops during the 1870's battles.

For me,the earliest use of poilu was as a mickey take on the old guard(for old read Imperial,the 'moustaches'.Their taches were worn long & were fashionably tressed into their sideburns or hair.A lot of them cut this off after 1814.The true Garde Imperiale kept them & just hid ((or stayed on Ste Helene))until the long march to their demise at Waterloo)as poilu just means hairy!

A Grognard was a term used just for the old guard;Larrouse have it as"Grognard:Soldat de la Vieille Garde de Napoléon 1er".

ps,

changed mine again to the 1979 Strat photo but I'll be changing it again later :rolleyes:

Guest KatrinaL

Mine is of Second Lieutenant Eric deWolf Rounsefell, who was with the 12th Bn., Royal Irish Rifles. He was killed on the 3rd of September 1918, while his brigade was re-taking Neuve Eglise. He is interred at Nieuwkerke Churchyard. He was from Vancouver, BC, Canada and was both my first and second cousin. (His parents were first cousins.)

Mine is as it says "Welcome Home to Chepstow" a fob sized medallion given by the town to returning WW1 servicemen. It would have been accompanied by a small postcard sized certificate expressing the thanks of the people of Chepstow for their service.

They were made of gold and enamel. The crest being that of the town. They were named with initial and surname on the back.

Gareth

• 3 weeks later...

My avatar is of the Menin Gate Memorial at Ypres. I think that this is one of the most beautiful memorials I have ever seen (picture wise).

Lynz :lol:

& heres the latest.

1ww publicity taken from a letter my G uncle sent to the Zambuk company in Leeds.

Mine is the Revd Tubby Clayton, founder of Talbot House and of course Toc H, in his later years. It is also very non PC as he is pictured clutching his beloved pipe - presumably this will be banned after July 1st.

Mine is the monument to the 63rd, 69th and 88th New York Infantry (the Irish Brigade), near the Wheatfield, at Gettysburg

Mine is Douglas Jardine. Officer in The Royal Berkshire Regiment WW2.

Roland.

Mine is My Mums Youngest Brother,Private Charlie Ford,5th Dorsets,KIA Tarmstedt,Germany 26.04.1945.Age 19.

Just changed again. This time: me and (my best friend) my dog.

Susan.

Oh, how sweet. They are so humble.

Susan.

Mine's my favourite tipple! :P

Might imbibe tonight......

Will have to see what the Duchess's reaction is tho first!! :(

Wish me luck.......

Ivan.

Ivan - bit late, mate, but good luck.

And I'm sticking with Richard.

Ivan - bit late, mate, but good luck.

And I'm sticking with Richard.

Never got out either Steve lad..... :mellow:

at the first mention of getting my coat........she gave me a look that chilled me to the quick....

I fetched me slippers instead...I know when I need the 'tactical retreat!' :(

BUT...the weekend beckons ;)

ps. Richard is fine by me...

see ya, Iv.