Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

Bruce: groooooooooooooan....(maybe he kicked the bucket)

Stewart,

It looks a cracking pic, but it's rather small. Could you post a bigger copy.

Mick

You poor fellow, you don't know what you've let yourself in for. I just hope you are not eating! :huh:

Regards,

Stewart

post-3488-1158356137.jpg

Nice. What's the tartan?

Hello It's Ancient Red MacPherson, Sir William MacPherson is one of the local bigwigs and has some connection with the band. He has a castle on the hill next to Blairgowrie.

Regards,

Stewart

Avatars - Mine...well it's home-made really. Back in the mid-1970s I bought a number of Haig Appeal wooden Remembrance crosses being sold by an old soldier of my acquaintance, ex-1/1st Welsh RGA 1915-18. I think they were better looking than the current plastic items (and biodegradable besides).

Over the years I laid them on memorials in November; or in one case I put the names of the handful of WW1 casualties from a small rural Welsh parish on a cross and placed it in the church, which had no other memorial for them.

Several years ago I was making up pictures to accompany a Remembrance talk for a school, and in hunting for "props" found that despite many house moves I still had one cross left. So I just put it on my computer scanner, added Remembrance poppies round it in a pattern, and scanned the image.

In joining the Forum I chose this image because War and Remembrance go hand in hand. Despite many years of interest in battles and medals etc., nothing strikes me more about the Great War than the sheer number of casualties, and the unquantifiable amount of human suffering it generated. Its effects are still with us today. So let's remember, rather than trying to brush it under the carpet, because it might just help people not to repeat history.

LST_164

Ahoj!

I think forum avatars are a stupid thing, thus I have none. I am blissfully unaware of any of yours, as I turned them off in board settings.

Same with signatures.

Borys

Hello - Having a slight lapse of memory, so please forgive me if I have already posted on this thread......

Mine is the badge of the Isle of Man Civil Defence Corps, of which I am a member, although I am contemplating changing it to another capbadge, Buffs, RE, or maybe all family connections.

Borys - without wishing to cause offence, I would just like to point out that regardless of whether you wish to see our avatars or not, you took the time to post on this thread.

Cheers

Mark

P.S Borys won't see my signatire either, but it commemorates my grandfather's half-brother, a pre-war regular recalled to the colours who was killed very early on in the war.

Ahoj!

I think forum avatars are a stupid thing, thus I have none. I am blissfully unaware of any of yours, as I turned them off in board settings.

Same with signatures.

Borys

Your choice, Borys, and it is probably true that avatars mean more to their owners than to the rest of us, but many members' signatures contain useful information, web links, etc, and you may be missing out by switching them off.

Mick

A drawing of an East Riding of Yorkshire Imperial Yeomanry trooper in the first full dress of the regiment, taken from the front cover of a souvenir brochure from a 1906 bazaar to raise funds for the building of their new riding school and gymnasium.

Regards,

Neil.

post-10528-1158427011.jpg

Your choice, Borys, and it is probably true that avatars mean more to their owners than to the rest of us, but many members' signatures contain useful information, web links, etc, and you may be missing out by switching them off.

Mick

Sometimes they can be a bit of an irrelevance :D , though my signature is well-meant!

A drawing of an East Riding of Yorkshire Imperial Yeomanry trooper in the first full dress of the regiment, taken from the front cover of a souvenir brochure from a 1906 bazaar to raise funds for the building of their new riding school and gymnasium.

Regards,

Neil.

post-10528-1158427011.jpg

And I think, Neil, it's my favourite avatar displayed. A lovely piece of contemporaneous history: absolutely lovely. You're a lucky chap to own it: I'm sure you treasure it. :)

And I think, Neil, it's my favourite avatar displayed. A lovely piece of contemporaneous history: absolutely lovely. You're a lucky chap to own it: I'm sure you treasure it. :)

Cheers Steven, I do indeed treasure it.

Neil.

Same with signatures.

Avatars are a bit of fun and not strictly necessary, but many signatures contain interesting commemorations of the men that, presumably, are the main reason you and we are here. So I don't really see the point of turning them off.

Also many signatures carry useful weblinks to member's own sites, some of which are outstandingly useful, so you may be missing out on a few things.

Signatures are fine for a couple of lines, but to follow a topic where a number of replies consist of two lines of interest followed by 20 plus lines of poetry, names etc is tedious and must use up a significant amount of Chris's precious bandwidth.

Use in moderation.

Nigel

Ahoj!

Bombardier said it for me.

I use this forum for WWI information.

And I "contributed" to thread to show that there is an Another Way :)

Borys

They'll be a Third Way coming along soon

Seriously though; most avatars have been placed for personal reasons ; members photos also carefully selected. Dont look at them often but it is surprising what they reveal

Stephen

Have to say I pick mine for a bit of levity: others od the same. That well-known pork butcher Roland goes for a series of blondes; Mr Clay has obscure popsters; Mr Hesketh has the badge of a once well-known football club.

Me - well British actors are good value!

As my old mum used to say: "You're a long time dead", so why not raise a smile some of the time?

Have you seen Michale J F Bowyer's book on the Stirling? Really good

Sorry, I did not see that you had posted that, I will look out for it.

I have also changed my Avatar to a picture of the Jaguar which won everlasting glory during the 1988 Le Mans 24 hours race, we are humble in thy presence.

Jon B)

• 2 weeks later...

The lucky horseshoe of the 37th Division; lucky for my grandfather who wore it from 1914 to 1919 and came home.

M