Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who or What is your Avatar

hmsk212

Mine is of a relative - LTCOL Henry Bryant - see below. Nice photo taken of him before WWI.

Cheers

Scott

my grandfather, a professional soldier-farrier with 3rd Lancers.

Cnock

• 2 weeks later...

Richard's back!

Mine is one of the Superlambanas, most of which are on show in and around Liverpool, Euro Capital of Culture 2008 !!!

This one has escaped to platform 13 at Euston Station.

Daggers

Mine is one of the Superlambanas,

They were good back in the 60's, but they've not been the same since the mind-expanding drugs stopped working.

My avatar is a photo of my great uncle, William Henry Bowman of the 51st Battalion, AIF.

He was 18 when he enlisted and this photo was taken before he left Fremantle never to return to his homeland. He was killed about a year after this photo was taken.

He was the eldest child in his family and before enlisting he worked on the family farm.

He was tall - nearly 6 foot, he had grey eyes and light brown hair.

I love this photo because he looks so gentle and serious.

Elle

Mine is my greatgrandfathers regimental badge,unfortunately there is no known photo of him otherwse i would use that.

Anthony.

If its green & it moves,mine is a photo of Nicholas Sarkosi.

Or J.M.LePen.Dunno yet.

Mine is a photo taken by Shane o'Neill in April of this year, as the sun moved behind the

St. Juliaan Memorial to the Canadian's who lost there life's in the gas attack of 22-24 April 1915. Peter

Shoulder badge of Lancashire and Cheshire RGA, which my Grandfather joined in 1911. Since finding this photo, I have

bought one complete with the metal backing plate. Very pleased with myself :D

Mine is a ‘young lady’ who befriended my Gt. Uncle whilst he was serving in Africa during The War Which Must Not Be Mentioned Here. ;)

:blink: Huh.

I would love to talk about my avatar but as a reasonably new member, I haven't a clue how to get the picture off of my profile to the avatar :lol:

Mine is an unknown relative. A Border Regiment soldier taken from a photo given to me by a great aunt.

I would love to talk about my avatar but as a reasonably new member, I haven't a clue how to get the picture off of my profile to the avatar :lol:

Go to My Controls, then look down the left-hand column to Avatar Settings. I managed it, so it can't be too difficult.....

Go to My Controls, then look down the left-hand column to Avatar Settings. I managed it, so it can't be too difficult.....

Thankyou Steven. I am now avatarfied.

My avatar is the badge of the Northamptonshire Yeomanry. I chose this as, I spent most of my adult life in Northampton, am of the Yeoman class, own horses and am the Officer Commanding of the Northamptonshire Yeomanry (mounted) military saddle club

Mine is a CWGC stone of an unknown scottish soldier at Thiepval, taken on a misty October morning in 2006.

Stuart

• 2 weeks later...
Guest geoff501

Mine shows the number of searches carried out on my WW1 search engine and the time and date of the last search.

It is updated in real time.

It also has a low carbon footprint of under 400 bytes. (I'll ignore the gas-guzzling computer power used to generate the image - the lights only turn brown briefly)

Mine is Mills bomb,obviously.Originally wanted Zep vol 1 cover,wasn't sure if that was allowed,also had great difficulty,with zep image ,so went for the pineapple.

I may change it to zep 1 yet.

Mine is the badge of the 16th Battalion CEF my Great-Uncle's Battalion.

Take care,

Neil

Hi Neil - my Great Uncle's son was in the 16th Battalion - do you know anything about their movements in France or even if they went there? His name was Robert Owen Frisby from Vancouver BC and nearly nineteen on his attesation papers.

I would be interested in any information you might have on them.

Buttercup :rolleyes:

Mine is my grandfather, taken in late 1918 at sandwich military hospital after having his leg amputated, he was in the 3rd London regiment (RF) at that time.

Mine is of that most unlady-like of women, "Mother"; a 9.2" howitzer at the IWM, London. Not the kind of thing you'd want to get dropped on your foot, and given the size of shell she fired, one feels sorry for anyone on the receiving end. I've seen war diary records for Siege Batteries that used these weapons, typically firing from 50 to 200 shells at enemy targets in a shoot (from 4.5 to 18 tons of shells!).

Richard's back!

But now he's been replaced by that epitome of military efficiency, Captain Mainwaring. A fine soldier, a great bank manager, and a good man.

But now he's been replaced by that epitome of military efficiency, Captain Mainwaring. A fine soldier, a great bank manager, and a good man.

Yes, but his brother was an utter cad and a bounder to boot!

Mine is my grandfather, here seen as 8691 Private John Fleming, 2nd Battalion, The Connaught Rangers, in India c. 1907. He transferred to the 14th Hussars, still in India, in late 1907. Although he spent only two years in the Connaughts and about 10 in the Hussars this is the only photo I have of him as a young man.