Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

I think this is him:

From the Northern Whig 13 August 1917:

The Military Medal

Corporal William G Rutledge, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers has been awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous courage and gallantry in the field on the 6th and 7th June in compelling 40 of the enemy to surrender and afterwards carrying some of his wounded comrades off the field under heavy fire.  He is the eldest son of Mr George Rutledge,  Manorhamilton.

Also Freeman’s Journal 1 September 1917:

Military Medalist Killed – Private William Rutledge, Royal Irish (sic) Fusiliers, killed in action on August 16 was the eldest son of Mr George Rutledge, licensed vintner, Manorhamilton. He had been recently awarded the Military Medal for conspicuous bravery.

(From Irish Newspapers FMP)

RM

Brilliant stuff rolt969, a great find altogether. I would never have thought of looking in there. Well done and thank you kindly.

Tom.

Hello again, it me, 'scourge' as me Ma used to call me. I am trying with great un-success to find the date of death of John Lawton, of Rhode Island, who died of wounds during the great war fighting with the Americans. I dont even know what unit to look for, but I would be very grateful indeed if I could just find his date of death.

The U.S. research is particularly difficult and I appreciate anything you can come up with regarding his date of death.

Kind regards.

Tom.

There is a tree on ancestry which gives the date of death as 15 October 1918, but does not give a source.

There is a draft registration card on ancestry.

RM

Fantastic, thank you very much indeed Rolt968 and 4th Gordons, happy days, that's all I need. You have been most helpful indeed.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Not sure if you have this or not Tom;
John Lawton's draft registration card confirms he was born 15 Aug 1889 in Youghal, Cork. When he was draft registered he was living at 54 Candace Street, Providence.
(link is from FamilySearch so just needs free registration) https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-L1J7-L7C?cc=1968530

Craig

Thanks Craig, I did have that, just his date of death eluded me. Thank you for the help.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

10 hours ago, museumtom said:

Thanks Craig, I did have that, just his date of death eluded me. Thank you for the help.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

The usual caveat about information which comes from an ancestry tree only - unless you have found another source.

RM

Thats the thing RM there aint no other source, which brings to mind the ould saying..'In the land of the blind the one-eyed man in king.' Your honour!!

3 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thats the thing RM there aint no other source, which brings to mind the ould saying..'In the land of the blind the one-eyed man in king.' Your honour!!

True, I have struggled with US casualties myself. I tend to treat things I find in ancestry trees as a working hypothesis.

I have had a quick look at the US newspapers and haven't seen anything yet.

RM

Thanks RM, the U.S. is the most difficult to research.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Unbelieveable how hard this guy is to nail down. Name variations-William Deane Butler Parkinson-Cumine-1911 Census,  Cumine, B P-CWGC, Butler Cumine-Enlistment document, W D B Parkinson-Cumine-Enniskillen War Memorial. DOB-23/02/1893. Occupation on enlistment-Electrician. Listed in the 1911 Census in Newtownbutler, County Fermanagh.There is B D Parkinson-Cumine listed serving as a Lieutenant in the Machine Gun Corps, with address-The Barracks, Newry, where he won the Military Cross, London Gazette 18/02/1918.

First name(s) B
Last name Parkinson-Cumine
Death year 1918
Death day -
Death month -
Burial Ground St Comgall’s Church of Ireland Newtownbutler
Notes PARKINSON-CUMINE B. (St Comgall’s Church of Ireland Newtownbutler County Fermanagh Ireland) Died during the Great War 1914-1918
County Fermanagh
Record set Ireland Memorial And Burial Register, 1618-2005
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
Subcategory Parish Burials
Collections from

Ireland

One possibility is that he is either Benjamin below

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?searchMoreVisible=false&census_year=1911&surname=cumine&firstname=&county19011911=Fermanagh&county1821=&county1831=&county1841=&county1851=&parish=&ward=&barony=&townland=&houseNumber=&ded=&age=&sex=&search=Search&ageInMonths=&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&yearsMarried=&birthplace=&nativeCountry=&language=&deafdumb=&causeOfDeath=&yearOfDeath=&familiesNumber=&malesNumber=&femalesNumber=&maleServNumber=&femaleServNumber=&estChurchNumber=&romanCatNumber=&presbNumber=&protNumber=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=

Or they brought his brothers body home, William Deane Butler Parkinson-Cumine, listed in the CWGC here.

https://www.cwgc.org/search-for-war-dead/casualty/923165/

My brain is totally fried at this stage and I would very appreciate it if anyone could help. This is not going to be easy at all.

Kindest regards, and thank you very much in advance.

Tom.

My brain is totally fried at this stage and I would very appreciate it if anyone could help. This is not going to be easy at all.

You just know how to pull people in Tom .

It could be the same son but that would require a transcription error in the death from 1915 to 1918. Is anyone able to check the gravestone visually ? Would't answer the issue regarding why the grave would then be in Ireland though...

B D Parkinson-Cumine, MGC, was alive in 1921 as he's recorded in Easter Rising records on FMP so I'd agree it's not him in the grave.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Benjamin Deane Parkinson-Cumine (30), Major R.I.S.C, married Florence Mary Cumine (27) on 03 September 1921 at St John's Church, Blackheath.

Benjamin Deane Parkinson-Cumine of Main Street Killough Downpatrick county Down died 26 May 1964 at Downshire Hospital Downpatrick . Probate to Florence Mary Parkinson-Cumine widow.

Grand Lodge of Freemasons of Ireland - Active Service Lodge No. 415 - 7th Batt. Royal Irish Fusiliers:

07/05/1915 - Benjamin D Parkinson-Cumine.

Service Medal & Award Rolls - Machine Gun Corps - V and BWM:

Major BD Parkinson-Cumine.

JP

Edited by helpjpl

Good man JP. I had an idea Benjamin Deane survived the war,  I still reckon the B Parkinson-Cumine in the 'burial' item as he died during the war and enlisted under the name Butler Cumine. I am working on the supposition that his father, a Canon, had the influence to bring his body home and the B Parkinson-Cumine might be him. Your help is very much appreciated, thank you very much indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Hello Craig. I try and pull in the most experienced pals on the forum and ye never let me down. Sorry lads but when you are good you are good!! I reckon the answer might be in the Fermanagh papers, that is if it was published. If he is actually buried in Fermanagh its  possible that his father might like to keep it secret otherwise everyone would like their sons brought home. Sheer speculation indeed on my part, but very possible.

Kindest regards, and thanks again. I found in the past when it was brain fried time all was made clear by you Archangels on the forum!

Tom

Now looking in the Irish papers for 1918. It seems that he was buried in 1918 the image below is from February 1918.......still looking.

1.jpg

I think an email popped off to the Vicar of St Comgall’s Church of Ireland might be worth a try. Email sent. Fingers crossed!

Edited by museumtom

findmypast has this (I don't have a subscription):

Belfast Newsletter, 11 May 1915:

A Rector's Son Wounded  "… has been received Rev. Canon G. Parkinson-Cumine, rector of Galloon. Newtownbutler, that one his sons, Mr. Butler Parkinson-Cumine, has been wounded in the fighting Vprer-. and is now in hospital. Mr. Parkinron- Cumine, who has’a brother lieutenant, th…."

Northern Whig, 11 May 1915:

Rank and File Casualties: "… has been received Rev. Canon G. Parkinson-Cumine, rector of Galloon. Newtownbutler, that one his sons, Mr. Butler Parkinson-Cumine, has been wounded in the fighting Vprer-. and is now in hospital. Mr. Parkinron- Cumine, who has’a brother lieutenant, th…"

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/irish-newspapers?date=1915-01-01&date_offsetdate=1915-12-31&lastname=parkinson-cumine

Edit -

Butler Parkinson-Cumine - see also:

Belfast Newsletter, 09 October 1915 (page 1 on above link)

Belfast  Newsletter, 24 May 1915  (page 3 on above link)

Londonderry Sentinel,  23 March 1915 ( (page 3 on above link)

JP

Edited by helpjpl

Just now, helpjpl said:

findmypast has this (I don't have a subscription):

Belfast Newsletter, 11 May 1915:

A Rector's Son Wounded  "… has been received Rev. Canon G. Parkinson-Cumine, rector of Galloon. Newtownbutler, that one his sons, Mr. Butler Parkinson-Cumine, has been wounded in the fighting Vprer-. and is now in hospital. Mr. Parkinron- Cumine, who has’a brother lieutenant, th…."

Northern Whig, 11 May 1915:

Rank and File Casualties: "… has been received Rev. Canon G. Parkinson-Cumine, rector of Galloon. Newtownbutler, that one his sons, Mr. Butler Parkinson-Cumine, has been wounded in the fighting Vprer-. and is now in hospital. Mr. Parkinron- Cumine, who has’a brother lieutenant, th…"

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/search/irish-newspapers?date=1915-01-01&date_offsetdate=1915-12-31&lastname=parkinson-cumine

JP

The Northern Whig is amazing!

Two Daily Casualty List entries:

16 June 1915: B P Cumine, Pte, 16532, 7 (British Columbia) CEF; Missing.

12 February 1918: B D Parkinson-Cumine, Capt., Machine Gun Corps; Wounded.

RM

Ye are on the top of your game, RM and JP, thanks lads. Every item a little gem.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Pte. Butler Parkinson Cumine, wounded 17 April 1915; missing 13 May 1915; presumed dead 26 (or 24) April 1916. (Canadian Soldier's record).

Are the first two the same event, I wonder?

RM

Edit: There might be a Red Cross record.

Edited by rolt968

Thank you Rolt, where did you find his Canadian records please?

Kind regards.

Tom.