Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried The Scotsman casualty lists for the father? Given that he must have been killed December 1914 and a Gordon Highlander then he must have been in their casualty list.

• 3 years later...

I wonder if this bottle thrown into the sea will generate a response? I am compiling a history of the Old Boys of Birkenhead Institute who fell in WW1. As part my initial trawl of available information I came across this interesting thread. I am now slowly working through the dead and their stories and by chance came across what might be another example that was reported in the Liverpool Mercury 10 July 1915 as having received the MC and who is reported in the Birmingham Daily Post on 4 May 1916 as having been killed (his brother having come to a similar fate earlier that year). Having tried all the usual places I can find no record of him or his father.  The Mercury article said that he was, "an old Institute Boy" (although not necessarily B'head Institute?)

image.png.3b549bd1e504ab843601f165d4b84b51.png

45 minutes ago, Pollexfen said:

I wonder if this bottle thrown into the sea will generate a response? I am compiling a history of the Old Boys of Birkenhead Institute who fell in WW1. As part my initial trawl of available information I came across this interesting thread. I am now slowly working through the dead and their stories and by chance came across what might be another example that was reported in the Liverpool Mercury 10 July 1915 as having received the MC and who is reported in the Birmingham Daily Post on 4 May 1916 as having been killed (his brother having come to a similar fate earlier that year). Having tried all the usual places I can find no record of him or his father.  The Mercury article said that he was, "an old Institute Boy" (although not necessarily B'head Institute?)

image.png.3b549bd1e504ab843601f165d4b84b51.png

1911 census shows the names are at least correct
Capture.PNG.622862dc72011161191ab06245f2b174.PNG

I can't at the moment see his military service however.

2 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

London Gazette - 23 February 1915:

The undermentioned Second Lieutenants (on probation) are confirmed in their rank:-

3rd Battalion, The Liverpool Regiment

William Murray Hutchinson.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/29080/page/1841/data.pdf

JP

CWGC:

Captain William Murray HUTCHISON MC, 1st Bn. The King's (Liverpool) Regiment)

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/492573/hutchison,-william-murray/

JP

I realise my mistake now so apologies to those who I put out over this. The solution came to me in the night because I checked for a roll of honour at Liverpool Institute and there  I found my man.who was of course by the name of Hutchison and not Hunchinson. 

As a penance I will get his name and details properly entered on Lives of the First World War. There is a man of the same name who is probably a match  .https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/5186812

As regards the 'man' as per the  original posting I will add his details into my narritive as it makes particularly interesting reading and of course was extensively researched.

Best wishes to all.

Alun

• 4 weeks later...

Morning all.

This lad escapes me. I reckon he was living in Enniskillen, but cannot prove it. This may be in the London gazette where he won the Military Medal (as far as I know). He was born in Leitrim but I would bet he lived in Enniskillen. Can you help me please?

Thank you very much indeed in advance. Kind regards.

Tom.

Rutledge, William George. Rank- Lance Corporal. Regiment/Service;- Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers. 11th Battalion. No;- 28728. Date of death;-16/08/1917

I assume this is him in the 1911 Ireland Census?

William George Rutledge

Birth Year: abt 1896

Relation to Head: Son

Residence Date: 2 Apr 1911

Townland/Street: Cornamarve

District: Belhavel

County: Leitrim

Household Members:

NameAge

George Rutledge 41

Isabella Rutledge 48

William George Rutledge 15

Eveline Jane Rutledge 14

Samuel Rutledge 13

Mary Elizabeth Rutledge 11

Florence Georgina Rutledge 7

Lilean Gertrude Rutledge 5

Thanks Paul, Yes indeed, that is him. Thank you. He is listed on the Enniskillen Memorial so I thought he may have been living there.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Sorry Lad I don't have Ancestry, does it give an Enniskillen address please? I have the London Gazette but try as I might I cannot find him in there.

Kind regards.

Tom.

This might be where Enniskillen comes from?! ;)

Name: William George Rutledge

Birth Place:Ki'largue, Co. Leitrim

Death Date: 16 Aug 1917

Death Place: France and Flanders

Enlistment Place: Enniskillen

Regiment: Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers

Battalion: 11th Battalion

Regimental Number: 28728

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Edited by wandererpaul

Thanks Wanderer Paul, yes indeed I have IMR and SDGW. I did say it was not easy! I still reckon he lived in Enniskillen.

Thank you indeed.

Edited by museumtom

Great stuff! Thanks a million. I reckon I can find it now.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Good man Paul, sure you have me spoiled entirely. I had hoped it would say Enniskillen but such is life. You have been very helpful for which I am most thankful.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Tom-   Would the Derry Almanac give any joy?   Seems to be the nearest directory I can find.

Quite impressed by the Dublin voters database online- though rather hard to work out what electoral registers for anywhere else are held by  National Library, National Archives,etc.    Presumably an Enniskillen Register/ Fermanagh register for 1914 or thereabouts must be out there somewhere.

D'yknow GUEST, that sounds like a plan. I'll have to get digging. Many thanks for the tip.

Kind regards.

Tom.