Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French war monuments

margaretdufay

Was in Bethune military cemetery, and found this one, not exactly a public monument but a monument to parents' grief at losing their son.

onemc.jpgtwom.jpg

Aisonville-Bernoville

Please excuse the poor quality photo.

post-6680-0-26555400-1352612678_thumb.jp

post-6680-0-94454500-1352612759_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Hi once again, was driving through a little village called St floris which is near Aire sur la Lys, and found their monument and also their commemoration of the British regiments which helped them during the war and thought I would show them to you

mags

threeb.jpg

and just on the left hand side is their commemoration to the regiment

fourwn.jpg

sevenz.jpg

And to finish, I couldn't go away from this monument without photographing the graves next to it, they are world war two and are seven soldiers from the Royal Welch Fusiliers

onean.jpg

mags

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This one caught my eye going through Souchez to take some photos in Cabaret Rouge British cemetery, it is not the Souchez monument to its war dead, i will probably have to go back and look for that, but it is for a certain General Barbot and the 77th Division, hope you like it, what touched me most was reading about the

day the monument was inaugurated and the emotion that it stirred in the veterans, so great was their love for their General. Here is a link for more info.

http://www.cheminsdememoire-nordpasdecalais.fr/visiter-les-sites/le-front/monument-a-la-gloire-de-la-division-barbot-souchez.html

twoks.jpg

threeqs.jpgfourpr.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Mags,

I know the polychrome ones aren't to Marco's taste but in my recent trip I noticed that several seemed to have been repainted ready for the centenary, like this one at Lissey:post-48281-0-18519400-1365070744_thumb.j