Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French war monuments

margaretdufay

dscn0155b.jpgI was in Lille this afternoon and found a rather magnificent looking memorial near the Grand Place, hope you like it

this is the translation of the next part

To the Lillois (people of Lille)

soldiers and civilians

This monument has been erected by the city in order to remember over the centuries the heroism and the suffering of its children for the sake of peace.

1914-1918 1939-1945

dscn0156af.jpg

Hi Mags

Your thread is going really well, keep up the good work and I hope to see more of these great Memorials on this thread

Well Done ! Mags

Best regards

Ian

Here is my little tribute to Bullecourt, was driving through this afternoon, although weather wasn't so good. Couldn't just show the French monument, I really felt that I had to include all of them.

First the water tower which greets you as you enter the village coming from Bapaume direction

dscn0177yt.jpgdscn0178r.jpg

then decided to continue on the small country road up to the next village but came across this memorial and thought that I would have to finish with it.

dscn0196n.jpgdscn0197r.jpg

Just to finish for today, Ecoust Saint Mein, a village just down the road from Bullecourt.

this is a link to the village website, there are some interesting great war photos

http://mairie.ecouststmein.free.fr/

the text at the base of the statue reads as follows

The ministry of War cited the Commune of Ecoust Saint Mein in dispatches.

Completely destroyed by shelling, it has always shown itself to be dignified and valliant during the testing times and under enemy occupation.

dscn0176h.jpg

dscn0175tn.jpg

dscn0174jo.jpg

Hi mags

These wonderful pictures just keep coming, my favourite is French memorial Bullecourt. I like this becauce I really like the building in this picture, great work Mags !!! well done

Ian

A friend told me I should visit La Bassee and so I did.

have taken a few cos I thought they were nice, there were two monuments, this was the first one I founddscn0218gz.jpg

dscn0217qk.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just back from holiday in the Dordogne region from France.

Thought I couldn't do Bullecourt without doing Fromelles, had never actually visited Fromelles although I pass by quite often. Once again, I couldn't limit myself to just the French monument, I also had to include the Australian ones too.dscn0259r.jpg

dscn0258g.jpg

Just a small point but did I understand correctly that this thread is concerned with French memorials i.e. those relating to French men and women who served and/or died in the Great War or does it also include all Great War memorials in France irrespective of nationality as lot of the images appear to fall into this category which would in that case seem to embrace far to wide a subject matter.

Regards

Norman