Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French war monuments

margaretdufay

Sorry, seem to have problems (after more than 10 years ! :-) ) to post a picture in my posting the correct way.

Second try, of Clairmarais again.

Aurel

post-92-0-79174600-1344420751_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

In Belgium for two weeks but just spent a few days in the south of France, visiting relatives of my wife. Like many old people, women and children who fled the south of Belgium in the exodus of 1939/40, fearing for their safety after the atrocities of August 1914, a lot of her relatives went to the south of France and some stayed.

This is the impressive memorial in Pezenas:

7808626574_f5c5beae67.jpg

7808631448_c8ec7705a6.jpg

7808616902_43171a00f0.jpg

As with many memorials, those killed in WW2 have been added.

This one is in Olizy, near La Ferté. Interesting to not the some of the regiments that fought here in 1940, defending the Maginot Line, were the same as those that fought at Rossignol in August 1914, before retreating through here (3e DIC).

7850436484_9eb0ef5c3b_c.jpg

Hi wanted to include this one because of the epitaph for the town of Tangry.

Between the fairest of all the bames, their name is the fairest.

The voice of a whole people rocks them in their grave.

mags

dscn1477q.jpgdscn1478f.jpgdscn1479f.jpg

dscn1498h.jpgdscn1499om.jpgdscn1500w.jpgdscn1501m.jpgwas visiting Hermies near Bapaume.

internet link giving some more detailed info

http://memoiresdepie.../h/hermies.html

Looking more closely at the list of names, you see four or five people by the name of Cathelain. Cathelain is a local building company, based in the village, which still exists today although it is owned by a large national company in France.

mags

dscn1497g.jpg

Hi mags

Your thread has turned into a hot topic, and the pictures are really good!!.keep up the good work and keep posting the photos .

regards

Ian

Went through the small town of Iwuy last month and really liked this one because of the detail of the soldier's uniform and pack and also for the tribute to their British allies

dscn1470x.jpgdscn1471i.jpgdscn1472ru.jpgdscn1473y.jpg

I took this photo of a memorial in Morval the last time I was in France, about 7 years ago I think. I took many more, if I can find where they are I'll add them.

Tony

post-6680-0-10173600-1348564405_thumb.jp

A few war memorials from a recent holiday to France

St Benoit-de Sault in the department of Indre

P1030330.jpg

P1030331.jpg

P1030333.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Taste differ but some of those painted soldiers look like cheap toy soldiers. I prefer clean lines, such as the memorial at Samagneux.

Regards,

Marco

post-15-0-89499100-1350896838_thumb.jpg

Hi Marco, in posting the photos, the question of whether I liked them didn't really enter the choice, I wanted to show all the types of monuments that exist, and the painted ones are one of the most popular at the moment, I don't know when they were redone, but a lot of them look quite recent makeovers.

mags

My bad, I thought they had to be 'special'. I opt out then, I'm not going to upload the hundred(s) French village memorials I have. In my defence, my bad is is not so bad though as to post well known British or American memorials in a topic described as

French war monuments in the small towns and villages

Cheers! :whistle:

Regards,

Marco