Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French war monuments

margaretdufay

here is Bugnicourt, near Arleux, a French cockerel seems to be quite a popular bird ontop of the monumentsdscn0031mz.jpg

dscn0029t.jpg

This one is Fletre ( Bailleul)

Sorry can't work out how to add picture!!!

This is a photo of the monument at Ecourt St Quentin near Arleux, included the memorials as there was a Canadian one.

br

magsdscn0033j.jpgdscn0034o.jpg

As Loos en Gohelles seems to be a favourite place for many forum people, thought I would stop and take its photo

br

mags

loosengohelletwo.jpgloosengohelleone1.jpg

Joan, what happens if you open your image in Imageshack, right click on the picture, select 'Copy', return to the forum, right click and select 'Paste'?

(If we're not logged in as Imageshack users we can't see your photo. :( )

Gwyn

Sorry must be really dim, I copy i t but then the paste is greyed out when I try to paste. Also if I click on image icon am promted for URL and I dont know what that means

For me, the French war monuments have a much more honest appeal than the Commonwealth ones. The ones that I've seen move me on a personal level because they emphasize the pain of those left behind, usually featuring women in mourning (as opposed to a stone cross or a stone soldier). It shows the real aftermath of war on a human level...I suppose that is the social historian in me talking.

Thanks for posting all these amazing photos.

This one at Vaison-la-Romaine is at the side of the road attached to the rock face and looks to have been carved out of the local stone.

A small historic town, average population back in 1911 3,000 (now up to 6,000) in the south-west of France, a long way from any battlefield, yet quite a lot of names (resistance stronghold during WW2 and a number of resistance members who lost their lives are also on the memorial)

vaison.jpg

vaison2.jpg

Another one from around the same area as the above. (Vaucluse) Gordes, a relatively small historic hillside village in the south of France

I like the simplicity of this one. The single poilu standing on top of the monument

(also a resistance stronghold in WW2 with violent resprisals against villagers and houses destroyed. Resistance members who lost their lives here are also remembered on the memorial. The village was later awarded the Croix-de-Guerre)

Light was fading when I took this photo, so detail not as clear as it should be

gordes.jpg

gordes2.jpg

Caryl

Last for the day Noyelles sous Bellonnes, very detailed with the cannon and the sandbags at the base of the statue.dscn0043x.jpgdscn0044rq.jpgdscn0049ur.jpg

Were the funds for French monuments raised by public subscription?

First time I've ever seen a painted statue on a monument as in Guarbecque post #32, posted by magscotsabroad

Had to peer at it for a while to establish that it wasn't a re-enactor standing there!. Must need some regular upkeep. Looks as though he is wearing the 'Horizon Blue' coloured uniform as mentioned on this excellent website.

http://greatwarphotos.com/tag/poilu/

Interesting subject and photos so far (thought I was the only one who found French monuments interesting)

Caryl

Re painted soldiers on memorials:

We whizzed past the one at Rang-du-Fliers recently and didn't have time to stop - picture on this comprehensive website which covers stone war memorials in Pas-de-Calais from Napoleon onwards, including 1870-71 as well as the two World Wars. Mémoires de pierre The figure at Rang-du-Fliers is quite strikingly bright, which the blown highlights in the top image hide.

Gwyn

A friend of ours bought an old school house in a village near us a few years ago. She has done it up very nicely, not forgetting this, which is at the entrance to the courtyard.

post-15158-0-94611300-1340041294_thumb.j

nothing dramatic but I like it

cheers Martin B

Stopped at this one in the town of Montmedy in the French Ardennes when I was visiting the Maginot Line recently.

6956586508_e240dce7ba_c.jpg

Love the detail on it:

6956590044_efb3ff78dc.jpg7102657805_270c228df3.jpg

Paul, Is that the one near the road junction, one route to Marville, one route to Verdun ?

Caryl, there are quite a few with painted poilus:

7396958072_64f30efd32.jpg

Like this one in Tremblois-les-Carignan (not far from Paul's photo in Montmedy)

Not painted this time but strikiing nonetheless, here's another hurried photo (my wife was dashing for a meal of the celebrated pig's trotters) of the memorial in Ste Menehoud:

7396959102_475bed5d16.jpg

Caryl, there are quite a few with painted poilus:

Yes, so it seems Steven. I must keep a look out. Have they always been painted? To me they look a bit eerie and too lifelike, although that may be the intention. Think I prefer the unpainted ones. Wonder if an authority has made a decision to paint them all, or are these just specific to one or a few departments in France? Also wonder if the same appointed artist is going around painting them all. They look to be painted in a similar style

Caryl

PS Interesting selection of monuments with poilu statues, painted and unpainted

http://flickriver.com/groups/1277711@N25/pool/interesting/