Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French war monuments

margaretdufay

Guest exuser1

I live over in the 7 Valleys part of Pas De Calais ,and they do seem to go for the painted figure thing ? not sure if particular to the north ? i have even seen one complete with trench ! not sure if a newish thing as they never seem a bit tatty .

What an absolutely fantastic thread with great pictures and the history around these monuments.

Well done!!

When you visit Festubert, have a look at the right hand side of the war memorial.

Engraved there is something I have yet to see anyone else, for it included words to the effect to remember the British heroes who also died for France.

Has anyone seen anything like that on any other French war memorial?

Bruce

Hi Bruce

Was at Festubert (not so far from Bethune) this afternoon and here are the pictures, I have found another one thanking the Allies and will post it after this one.

To translate the text "For our British heroes who fell for Freedom and Justice."oneel.jpg

threewc.jpg

Here is the second monument I found that thanked the allied troops, it's Vermelles, not far from Loos en Gohelle, between Lens and Bethune

Translation "The town of Vermelles is grateful to its children and to the Allies who fell for Justice and Freedom" dscn0105tz.jpgdscn0104w.jpg

dscn0103q.jpg

Went to Monchy le Preux near Arras, just looking for their monument and found more than I expected, and couldn't resist posting them.

The first is in souvenir of Newfoundland, you will understand why, the second is in souvenir of the Officers and Men of the 37th English Division and I did eventually find the French monument.

oneap.jpg

tfivew.jpg

sixv.jpg

This is Cambrin between Bethune and Lens, the French have their own statue of liberty

I'm including the citation as it explains the country's gratitude to the people of Cambrin for their bravery during shellingdscn0098x.jpgdscn0100h.jpg

dscn0101s.jpg

This is Haucourt between Arras and Cambrai, wanted to include it because of the specific British memorial plaque

onemz.jpgthree.jpgtwog.jpg

Hi Mags

Here are a couple of photos of memorials I took on holiday last year while staying in the Chemin des Dames area

Bray en Laonnais which caught my eye because of the painted French soldier

P1000240.jpg

P1000239.jpg

and Moussy Verneuil the village I stayed in

P1000030.jpg

I am ashamed to say that I have not taken more photos of French Memorials. I will have a chance to rectify this in a couple of weeks when I am in the Vosages.

Mandy

Last one for today, it's the text that got to me. Busnes between st venant and bethune.

To the glory of the mother of God,, the almighty protectress, the inhabitants of Busnes, protected from the invasion, erected this monument.

Queen of Heaven, welcome our heros, Mother of sorrow comfort their wives and mothers.

twocl.jpgoneqs.jpg

Was coming back from Bethune today and stopped by two or three places.

First Bruay la Buissière, quite a big town and quite a big monument

dscn0121a.jpgdscn0123tq.jpg

Then stopped off in Noyelles sous Lens and found quite an amazing one

this is the monument itself, and as you will see with two identical stones on either sidedscn0124vv.jpg

But then on closer inspection found that they were commemorating two totally different events

the first one reads as follows

Under this mound lies 104 victims of the Courrieres mining disaster 10th March 1916

for the victims of workdscn0128h.jpg

am also including a photo of the detail as it also differs to the other one

a wikipedia link to the disaster

http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/8792/dscn0125c.jpg

dscn0125c.jpg

Mags ,

Well done great thread and great pictures keep them coming!!

regards

Ian

Hi Mags

Here are a couple of photos of memorials I took on holiday last year while staying in the Chemin des Dames area

Bray en Laonnais which caught my eye because of the painted French soldier

P1000240.jpg

P1000239.jpg

and Moussy Verneuil the village I stayed in

P1000030.jpg

I am ashamed to say that I have not taken more photos of French Memorials. I will have a chance to rectify this in a couple of weeks when I am in the Vosages.

Mandy

Hi Mandy

look forward to seeing them and hope you have a wonderful time

mags

Was in Douai today and thought the monument was worth showing, but will have to do it in two postings as the detail was really great.

dscn0131zb.jpg