Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Forum Conference 2013 - all speakers now announced

AlanCurragh

As always, excellent speakers and excellent organisation. Well done to all. The only issue is that I spent too much on books!! I blame Keith Roberts - I thought he was a retired civil servant, not salesman.

Roger

Roger

if your wife is unhappy with your purchases, I am prepared to explain to her that your decision to spend the money was only made after much soul searching and an indecent amount of pressure being applied by Keith.

Paul

It's that Svengali like hypnotic stare originally honed to prise tax money out of members of the public that does it. Can you remember if you signed anything?

Yep, excellent day - well done Alan - logistics went very smoothly and I think everyone enjoyed it. Food was great. Looking forward to next year!

James

Just doing my bit for Keith's 'Pensioner Fund' - always happy to help Yorkshiremen in exile !

Another excellent weekend - looking forward to 29/03/2014 !

Many thanks to all those who helped organise it, particularly Alan and Sue, and the excellent speakers who covered a diverse range of subjects.

It was good to put a face to some of the regular posters but new attendees, such as (the youthful) Trenchtrotter and Skipman. It also allowed me to thank in person Christina Holstein, for all the help she has given me with references, sources and places to visit.

......and finally, as recommended by the inimitable Mr Hart, find out more about the French in August 1914 by reading the books of Jean Claude Delhez;

http://www.destabul....lhez/delhez.php

also discussed here: http://1914-1918.inv...topic=171405=

i ran out of the maps covering the Battle of the Frontiers (in southern Belgium): for those who didn't get one and any other readers who want one, further copies of the map “14-18 Bataille des Frontières” are available free from the provincial tourist information board:

By download: http://www.ftlb.be/f...rochenligne.php

To order: http://www.ftlb.be/F...ande.php?id=272

Another excellent conference, great speakers and organisation.

Regards Doug.

..........It was good to put a face to some of the regular posters but new attendees, such as (the youthful) Trenchtrotter and Skipman ...........

Youthful? Youthful? I always had the impression Trench Trotter was a 70 year old weather beaten bloke who ran round in khaki shorts, safari shirt, hat and backpack, weaving his way across the fields and lanes of France every other week, to find him a youthful, friendly policeman was somewhat of a shock!

As for Skippy, well he attended the first ever conference with his wife Norma and it was great they were able to,attend again.

weather beaten bloke who ran round in khaki shorts, safari shirt, hat

You're getting your TT's mixed up, that's TimeTeam's Phil Harding

As for Skippy, well he attended the first ever conference with his wife Norma and it was great they were able to,attend again.

I missed the inaugural event so it was especially nice to meet them for the first time

Yes, isn't it strange. I had almost exactly the same impression of what TT would look like as Kim did!

The problem now is that we have to face the realisation that his laser-like ability to find bayonets, shoulder titles, cap badges and other memorable items has at least another 30 years to run. We cannot depend on his failing eyesight to give the rest of us a chance!

Paul

Youthful? Youthful? I always had the impression Trench Trotter was a 70 year old weather beaten bloke who ran round in khaki shorts, safari shirt, hat and backpack, weaving his way across the fields and lanes of France every other week, to find him a youthful, friendly policeman was somewhat of a shock!

What is it a sign of when the policemen start looking young?

It's called old age, Robert. Thankfully, for me, he looked neither young nor old in real life :)

Thanks to everyone for making it such a great day. Wow!

It really was a great day - many thanks to Alan and to all involved in organisation. I'll certainly be back next year.

Well that's us back, it's a fair hike. Excellent conference, and really enjoyed it. Well done Alan again, and really interesting speakers. Jolly good show at the Tally-Ho, what?

:thumbsup:

Mike

Successful conferences like that which we have just enjoyed don't just happen. They are the result of a great deal of hard work, phone calls, emails, and a degree of panic. All those of us who so much enjoyed ourselves this weekend once again owe a huge debt of gratitude to Alan and Sue.

The speakers were all worth listening to, and the food, both at lunch and dinner was fine.

Perhaps the best parts of the day, however, are the opportunities of meeting those Pals with whom one has chatted during the previous year, to meet up again with old friends, and to make new ones.

I am looking forward to next year,

Bruce

P.S. Delighted to hear that the Skipmen (?) have got home safely. Yours is one heck of a hike!

Just returned from this years Conference, once again had a great day - many thanks to Alan and Sue and to all involved in the organisation of the event, already looking forward to seeing the list of speakers & topics for next years event.

Bruce

P.S. Delighted to hear that the Skipmen (?) have got home safely. Yours is one heck of a hike!

Thanks Bruce, agree with every word. The journey was no problem, we had plenty reading material.

Cheers Mike

I can't believe there were so many GWF pals there that I didn't get to meet, a great opportunity missed :(

I would like to add my thanks to Alan and Sue for a wonderful day, with an interesting mix of speakers, a plentiful supply of tea and food.

Mandy

Very much like to say a sincere thank you to Alan and Sue for yet another excellent conference...... the year will go by all too quickly and we shall be there again...

I would just like to repeat my thanks to Alan, Sue and everyone connected with, and in attendance at our conference and pre-event(s), on Friday and Saturday; it was a superb experience throughout. Well done to everyone and I am never drinking again until tonight.

I'm also really pleased to hear that one of the audience has confirmed they are signing up for the University of Birmingham's part-time Taught MA in British First World War Studies starting in October. Bravo! If anyone else is interested ping me a message or check out this link: http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students/courses/postgraduate/taught/history/british-ww1-studies.aspx

Cheers,

Simon

Great day, thought Peter Barton was exceptional, but where was his hat!

Well done Alan and Sue.

Tony