Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

France: Obligatory Breath Test Kits

Seadog

Do you reverse up to traffic lights?

Have you never, ever, pulled up at traffic lights and watched the person in the car behind pull down the mirror and, squinting into it, apply eye shadow, mascara, blusher and lipstick, then, if there's time, brush and spray her hair (sorry, it's usually a woman)? Alternatively, file nails and apply polish? Alternatively, or additionally, eat breakfast? Some people have more beauty kit in their car than Selfridges Chanel counter.

She: Darling, where did you put the breathalyser?

He: In the glove box next to the whisky bottle

That's not funny. :D The Belgian who wrote off the Black Gwynmobile in Cheshire shot out of a side road straight across a dual carriageway at speed (just like they do in forrin) and embedded his car into mine. On the shelf between his two front seats was a half full bottle of wine and a half empty glass.

He was actually a very nice Belgian who immediately confessed what he'd done and handed over his name and address without fuss. I didn't send him a Christmas card though.

Gwyn

, a Swiss army knife,

Gwyn

Ohh dear Gwyn! Now you are breaking the law. I am reliably informed by my daughter - Plod in North Wales's Finest - that you could be noted on police records as a 'potential knife carrier', and in any subsequent stop they will react differently and call a SWAT team down on you and give you a right old Rodney King. What? I exclaimed, even an old bloke like me carrying a gardening clasp knife and dirty fingernails? If the blade's longer than 1 milimeter you will be stoned to death following a fair trial and your family thrust into criminaldom in perpetuity she exclaimed.

So I might as well be done for Peter as for Paul I thought. Now I carry a machette in the boot.:angry2:

Oh no! I have a Swiss Army knife in both handbags, one in my camera bag, one in my going-on-holiday-with-the-passports-and-ibuprofen-all-ready-bag and one in the car, as well as a couple in my desk drawer. You never know when you're going to need a corkscrew.

Have you never, ever, pulled up at traffic lights and watched the person in the car behind pull down the mirror and, squinting into it, apply eye shadow, mascara, blusher and lipstick, then, if there's time, brush and spray her hair (sorry, it's usually a woman)? Alternatively, file nails and apply polish? Alternatively, or additionally, eat breakfast? Some people have more beauty kit in their car than Selfridges Chanel counter.

But how do you see all the things on the rear shelf of the car in front in your mirror? - that was my point

Some models of Renault Scénic come with special secret periscopes to spy on other drivers' funny habits and transmit information back to Renault for their next re-design.

This is an article in my local paper this morning. Written by Philippe Bouvard, well known on French TV and radio:

"We can be certain that the two breathalysers that car drivers will soon be obliged to carry, but not use will soon join the museum of great ideas that are profitable for small firms such as the fluorescent jacket and the red triangle which is unusable because the wind that comes from the cars still moving blows it over behind the car that is broken down. Not only is it not certain that drivers will consent to this expense which will be just about daily or that they will blow into it, even if they buy it, but a lot of people who blow and find they are over the limit will drive anyway. Finally, the only road users who will benefit from an assumption of sobriety and excluded from the need to carry these will be moped owners, probably because they are thought to be so slow that their drivers will not have the time to drop into a bar on the way home".

Finally, the only road users who will benefit from an assumption of sobriety and excluded from the need to carry these will be moped owners, probably because they are thought to be so slow that their drivers will not have the time to drop into a bar on the way home".

People generally buy mopeds, and those awful French minicars which have moped-size engines because you don't need a licence to drive one. And why do they buy them? -- because they've had their licence withdrawn, often for drunken driving.

Go figure

cheers Martin B

Ohh dear Gwyn! Now you are breaking the law. I am reliably informed by my daughter - Plod in North Wales's Finest - that you could be noted on police records as a 'potential knife carrier', and in any subsequent stop they will react differently and call a SWAT team down on you and give you a right old Rodney King. What? I exclaimed, even an old bloke like me carrying a gardening clasp knife and dirty fingernails? If the blade's longer than 1 milimeter you will be stoned to death following a fair trial and your family thrust into criminaldom in perpetuity she exclaimed.

So I might as well be done for Peter as for Paul I thought. Now I carry a machette in the boot.:angry2:

In the boot is useless.

I own two real-deal razor-sharp kukhris [cookeries?, khukries .....?]. Kukris! It's Goorkha with the H.

One lives in the car under the driver's seat, handle forward, and one by the bedside. My wife has the .22 air pistol her side.

The little hooky bit on the blade is fine for bottles, the large blade is good for morale.

Never know when you might need a beer, or meet a bear, officer ..........

If I hire a car in France, will it come with all these extras (triangle, FA kit, bulbs, jacket, blow in a bag x 2) or will I have to have supply my own ?

And will there be a coloum on the form for "size of jacket" ?

Grant

In the glove box next to the whisky bottle

cheers Martin B

Ricard, surely?!

Roger

Not just a jest Roger! Notice the growth of whisky sales in France. I'm sure that the local supermarket shelving for whisky has doubled over the last four years. They've got these brands I've never hear of Glen Crinian, High Cross, William Peel etc. But they drink it like they do Pastis - ie very very weak like squash; so they don't taste it's strength, and don't feel that it's affecting them nor their driving. I tend to drink whisky almost neat, but pastis in the French style - and its so deceptive!

Having placed an order in February, I did phone the company to chase up my order. The very helpful assistant informed me that they had only received their consignment today "due to immense supply problems in France" but the breath kits would be dispatched for arrival "early to mid next week". It appears that French motorists are taking this very seriously with demand even in rural areas outstripping supply.

Ehhh voila! Au semain prochane!

and those awful French minicars which have moped-size engines because you don't need a licence to drive one. And why do they buy them? -- because they've had their licence withdrawn, often for drunken driving.

cheers Martin B

Excellent observation ! Keep well out of their way !!!

Having placed an order in February, I did phone the company to chase up my order. The very helpful assistant informed me that they had only received their consignment today "due to immense supply problems in France" but the breath kits would be dispatched for arrival "early to mid next week". It appears that French motorists are taking this very seriously with demand even in rural areas outstripping supply.

Ehhh voila! Au semain prochane!

Geraint, this is a very silly question but you may be able to answer it. Given that motorists from the UK will be subject to the new law can I take it that one-use breathalyzers available in France or at the Ferry/Tunnel terminals will have bilingual instructions for their use? Given that the majority of the UK visitors will not "speaky da lingo" I trust this will be the case.

Regards

Norman

Looking at the Contralco website this page it looks as if there are picture instructions as well as text. If you want to see a set of illustrative animations click on Mode d'emploi. There is an English version accessible from the index page.

Is it true that the majority of UK visitors can't even speak or read simple French? That's a very depressing comment on our education system or our attitudes, or both. I can't really see why they should they have English instructions; it's not as if we go out of our way to accommodate foreign visitors' languages. If English, then German (some Germans don't learn French), Flemish and Italian ought to be represented too. But if you don't drink, then...

Gwyn

Geraint, this is a very silly question but you may be able to answer it. Given that motorists from the UK will be subject to the new law can I take it that one-use breathalyzers available in France or at the Ferry/Tunnel terminals will have bilingual instructions for their use? Given that the majority of the UK visitors will not "speaky da lingo" I trust this will be the case.

Regards

Norman

No! You don't need instructions, you are not, ever, going to use it ........ that is the essence of this farce.

From the country that inspired Clochemerle and Clouseau, and elected Sarkozy, expect nothing else.

I think I will start marketing a sticker for front and rear saying, in every relevant language:

The following on board:

No baby

No radar warning devices

2 x hi-vis tabards

First Aid Kit

Light bulb kit

Fire extinguisher

2 x warning triangles

2 x breathalyser

shovel

and its not true about the kukri

The following on board:

No baby

No radar warning devices

2 x hi-vis tabards

First Aid Kit

Light bulb kit

Fire extinguisher

2 x warning triangles

2 x breathalyser

shovel

and its not true about the kukri

You've missed out the Green Zone emissions Plakette for Germany and the mandatory winter tyres. :innocent:

You've missed out the Green Zone emissions Plakette for Germany and the mandatory winter tyres. :innocent:

Ah! But I don't go into German cities, and I don't travel on continent in winter .......

just about all the other stuff is a bit nearer home.

Oh! and I drive 7/24 with dipped headlights

Just think, we have the French to thank for this thread, without them we would have to find something else to go on about .......

Norman - I'll give a posting on instructions when they finally arrive. Souffle lentement!

Just to confuse the issue further..... I can't vouch for the accuracy but this was posted on another forum yesterday:

I Emailed the French Consulate in London this morning and asked them various questions about breathalisers and other changes to French Traffic Law and received this reply 10 minutes ago.

Hmmmm not quite what I was expecting!!!!

The underlining and type in bold is my emphasis. The links provided are in English but not the Official website link.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The breathalyzers are for French drivers only, this is the latest news we have, for regulations for motorcycles please try on our web site www.franceguide.com look in practical info and then in (getting there and around) and also on http://about-france.com/travel.htm for more information and also on the official web site and the links above

www.securiteroutiere.gouv.fr the jacket can be yellow or orange.

Bon voyage.

Phil, the piece in Actu24 (see my earlier post) identifies that confusion too. In one part the wording of the law specifies "French drivers" and in another just "drivers"

Phil, the piece in Actu24 (see my earlier post) identifies that confusion too. In one part the wording of the law specifies "French drivers" and in another just "drivers"

I have just rechecked the decree published in the Journal Officiel. It states quite clearly 'tous les conducteurs', which being interpreted meaneth 'all drivers'.

cheers Martin B