Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

France: Obligatory Breath Test Kits

Seadog

George

If you are not going to be penalised before October you might as well wait until you are in France before you pick one up at the first opportunity, and especially if you are going in June

cheers Martin B

Thank you, for the reassurance, Martin.

I've a week in France,before the 1st July,whether I'll need petrol,etc,before that date is open to question.

And unless "one of those "Froggie" insects choose to bite my Wife, again" it's unlikely I'll be in a Chemists.Will they sell the kits in Parfumeries?

As we're self-catering,and normally shop, at a Carrefours,will "they" stock the kit?

George

If they're not going to penalise people before October, you won't be penalised if you're stopped in June or even July.

Hypermarkets in France usually have a pharmacy. I can't imagine a parfumerie selling éthylotests. Being rather prosaic and boring things, they don't quite fit with the fantasy you buy into when you're shopping for a Chanel perfume or Dior lipstick. You must pass a petrol station sometime; could you just call in and buy one?

Where are you going? :)

Gwyn

See Post 47 for availability of kits in the UK. No doubt the major motoring chain stores will be stocking these soon. Be aware that the one with the NF approval is required as it is set to the French drink-driving limit.

Norman

At 1€ each in France and £4.99 for two in that link, why not wait to buy one in France?

I thought Martin said that the approved sort would be announced by the French govt in due course.

One Euro, slightly optimistic don’t you think. Still thanks to Post 97 from Martin its good to see that the UK Daily Mail (Post 1) had the date correct all along. I stress again that the object if not just to carry a means of self-testing but to actually use such a test prior to driving after drinking alcohol particularly as in respect of UK drivers the limit in France is so very much lower, so low indeed that certain reports state that two glasses of wine can cause you to break the law.

French One-Use Device

Norman

One Euro, slightly optimistic don't you think.

Norauto's website prices Contralco ones at 1€ each or 4,90€ for 5 plus one free. Norauto There are Norautos all over France, even en route to the Somme.

Excellent so all the UK drivers have to do is find the nearest store to the ferry ports or tunnel and stock up, there simple isn’t it!. I take it that these places are open 24/7/365? Just asked because the moment you start to drive in France without at least one of these you will of course be breaking the law. Individuals will just have to sort themselves out there is enough info available. Of course no doubt the ferry/tunnel terminals will supply but at what cost we are yet to see.

Norman

Excellent so all the UK drivers have to do is find the nearest store to the ferry ports or tunnel and stock up,

No, of course not. As Martin said they will be available at all sorts of outlets. As you were anxious about what they could cost, and doubtful about the 1€ quoted, I was giving you a link to the price they are in France.

And there is a period of grace until October.

Gwyn

I could bring a stack to the GWF conference and sell them off at only a slight markup. Say £1 instead of €1? :devilgrin:

The answer is to visit France before October and buy a pack

cheers Martin B

Thank you, for the reassurance, Martin.

I've a week in France,before the 1st July,whether I'll need petrol,etc,before that date is open to question.

And unless "one of those "Froggie" insects choose to bite my Wife, again" it's unlikely I'll be in a Chemists.Will they sell the kits in Parfumeries?

As we're self-catering,and normally shop, at a Carrefours,will "they" stock the kit?

George

Gwyn,

In direct reply, to you, Guines(please excuse my French correctness)

Avec votre plaisire,Madam. :D

George ou Georges?

The latest news I have is that the French have not yet decided on a standard for the equipment. The law was due to come in at the end of March but July is now being proposed and some are suggesting November. Once it has been decided the breathalysers will be widely available in supermarkets & all sorts of other outlets. You must have one unused in your car. That means that you really ought to carry two as, if you test yourself when leaving the bar you must still have one unused in the vehicle. Big problem is that I believe your blood alchohol level reaches maximum approx 40 mins after your last drink so it is possible that you could use the test when leaving the bar but still go over the limit as you drive back to your billet.

Hope this helps.

John

John,See posts 97 and 107 the new law starts on July 1st.2012. However drivers from the UK should not need a law to force them to act responsibly and I hope that the makers of self-test reusable breathalyzers will in time make one which is calibrated to the French limit with instructions in English and available in the UK which I would have thought will be the best solution for those who drive regularly in France whilst of course keeping a one-use type in the vehicle. If any members have connections to UK coach companies perhaps they will let us know how they are dealing with this issue

Norman

Mods: could this be shifted into Classic Threads?

I'm enjoying it, anyway.

Stephen

No.

Keith

Norman

What makes you think my reply was serious?

Keith

. Big problem is that I believe your blood alchohol level reaches maximum approx 40 mins after your last drink so it is possible that you could use the test when leaving the bar but still go over the limit as you drive back to your billet.

This is one of the reasons why, on several occasions, such a scheme has been rejected in Britain. Drivers could be lulled into a false sense of security.

Sorry Keith I was labouring under the misapprehension that death, injury and mutilation as a result of drink-driving was a serious issue and as such I foolishly expected a serious response from all those contributing to this thread.

Regrets

Norman

You must have one unused in your car. That means that you really ought to carry two as, if you test yourself when leaving the bar you must still have one unused in the vehicle. Big problem is that I believe your blood alchohol level reaches maximum approx 40 mins after your last drink so it is possible that you could use the test when leaving the bar but still go over the limit as you drive back to your billet.

Hope this helps.

John

John I think you may have highlighted the reason why the French have taken the action they have in order to reduce the appalling toll on their roads caused by drink-driving which accounts for 30% of road deaths and 45% when only one vehicle is involved. This is not a "go" at you personally but you describe "leaving the bar etc" when the only way to be certain that you are not a danger to both yourself and other road users is simply not to drink and drive. From the point of view of the UK tourist I believe the situation is complicated by "the morning after the night before" even if as a responsible person the driver has not taken a drink during the day and then driven a vehicle. In the case of the morning after the one-use breathalyzer will be extremely useful in confirming whether it is safe to drive or not. Remember that this situation applies to all drivers including coach drivers with responsibility for up to perhaps 50+ people.

Regards

Norman

Here's the two Norauto' in Calais, 1 euro per tester...........

regards

Tom

post-5284-0-78141000-1330872078.jpg

post-5284-0-15339600-1330872095.jpg

A few thoughts:

1. This law must relate to all drivers, after all the EU are very keen to ensure that anti-discrimination laws exist and are upheld (at they do and are upheld in the UK!)

2. what about 'standards' - i.e. kite marks etc on these devices? I can imagine some anti-British French l'bobby being rather picky over whether the device conforms to some standard or other. I read of a British driver who fell could of this over a missing label on a hi-viz jacket.

3. What is the point? If you've been daft enough to have a drink before driving in France and your French government 'approved' device says your are OK to drive, but when stopped and the device used by l'Fuzz says you are over the limit what are the implications of that (I'm sure we all know) and thus what was the point of the DIY breath test that the government insist you have and use under such circumstances? My point being that there is a legal argument that would need to be tested that says that if the government insist you buy these kits and use than when you have had a drink, the result they show must have a legal standing.

4. what about people like me who do not drink. In the UK the police have to suspect you have been drinking, obviously the French think all Brits (at least) are beer swilling football louts who should be charged with the offence of being British at any reasonable (or unreasonable) opportunity.

But, at the end of l'ay if you want to drive in France, I guess you have to abide by their laws - however stupid, misguided and ill-conceived