Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

France: Obligatory Breath Test Kits

Seadog

Ref post #74, I don't think the hi-vis jacket has to be on show, it just has to be inside the car, not the boot. Hanging it on the back of the drivers seat just means it is visible to Mr Plod, so he does not have to delay you and ask if you have one.

Martin

Yes, that's right.

I'm certainly not buying a car with a nice interior and spoiling its appearance by having an ugly fluorescent lime green thing draped over a seat.

I mighthave complied with that mandatory instruction 30 years ago, but not much i could wrap my hair round now (excepting eyebrow and nasal of course).

Hi Norman the big problem here is still the attitude the French have to drinking and driveing its the same as in the UK 40 years ago its seen as a thing that you do not a problem and if caught well the Gendames are at fault ,they should be off catching real criminals , the issue is to chane that attitude ,every one is aware they just dont see it as something wrong ? even our local Fire Brigade have wine at lunch time !

Hesmond in order to reduce the toll of lives on the roads caused by irresponsible drink drivers the act of driving after excessive drinking must be made socially unacceptable. Here in the UK we have seen many hard-hitting campaigns aimed at those who would ignore the possible consequences of their actions on other innocent parties. This is supported by well advertised police activity during the prime times such as Christmas and New Year. The motor insurance companies also play a major part in this by either refusing insurance cover or making it so expensive that the perpetrator is unable to afford it. There is a social stigma associated with drink-driving here in the UK backed-up by severe penalties for those who would risk both their lives and others. On this topic you will see the news that in France it is intended that breathalyzer vehicle immobilizers will be fitted initially to passenger transport vehicles starting in 2015. This law will no doubt be extended to all public service vehicles eventually. The specific problem affecting UK drivers in France is that the drink-driving limits are so much lower than the UK and it would just be common sense to take whatever steps are available to ensure that we stay within the law.

Regards

Norman

Regarding permissive starting interlocks fitted to vehicles,I remember 40 years ago that there was some discussion for similar permissive starting interlocks to be fitted to prevent the non use of a vehicle unless the driver had his/her seat belt fitted.At the time very close to here,a family of four were killed on a railway crossing when their car stalled and failed to start which made me think at the time that the idea of introducing a permissive start for the seat belt would have been flawed.

The realiability of the starting sequence would be subject to the quality of the permissive equipment fitted.I would think there would be a minimal level of permissive redundancy fitted,if any,to the equipment.

In an emergency,there would be a risk that the vehicle would not start due to a lockout for reasons other than the prime reason for installing the system.No doubt introduction of permissive starts would increase the workload of the light current man but there is no reason why such systems can not be fitted and solutions delivered from any adverse experience feedback but there will be economic considerations to be made in the level of reliability desired and servicing required.

All,

In all the dozens of trips of varying lengths digging in France and Belgium I have never been stopped yet! I work with both the gendarme and sécurité civile and both are exceptionally professional. I do admit that here in Uk, tourists can be a pain and it would not be the first time I had been grumbly to a particularly annoying one :angry2: . So would expect that they're no different!

I'm off to Ypres on Sunday so will see what the score is, and will report back upon return.

One thing worth considering is the excuse in court that , " I did not think I was over the limit from last night (insert any such excuse)." A judge may take this into account and deliver a lesser punishment. The requirement to carry and use these effectively eliminates this and removes the ignorance claim.

I may be completely wrong and am happy to be corrected if so, but as someone who has had serious cases talked down to minor infringements by the ignorance claim, I think this might be one reason for the introduction.

Thanks for the heads up.

Rod

Why can't I have a sticker stating - I do not blooming drink - :rolleyes:

We have been stopped once in 40 years and that was hilarious - On the motorway making our way back to Ypres from the Somme and we saw a police car on the hard shoulder. I had to stop at the next services for petrol. As we left a plod jumped out of the bushes and stopped us. 'Do you speak french he says and Mrs M in French said no :lol: 'What time is your ferry'

'A week tomorrow why' - 'what time do you get to calais' - 'Never as we are going from Dunkirk' After a silence he let us on our way. Not sure who they thought they had but, I doubt many top criminals have wife, daughter and granddaughter in the car. I presume they were looking for a white car with english registration and guessed it was us.

On the subject of breathalyzer immobilizers as with all safety equipment there is always the remote risk that such equipment may in certain circumstances cause a problem. At one time in the UK there was the argument that if I wear a seat belt and turn over I will not be able to escape well I say that without a seatbelt this problem would not arise as you will be dead or at the least seriously injured. I am confident therefore that when the immobilizers are fitted that they will have been through rigorous testing and type approval. The regular drivers to France such as truckers and coach drivers would be better off buying a French calibrated version of the reusable UK breath tester (Mine is an Alcosense) as I am sure that such a device must be available in France. If any member can confirm this with prices etc perhaps they will post here.

Regards

Norman

Norman, if you google "Contralco" and éthylotest" you will find a site which makes these (contralco.fr probably). It's in French but there's an English option somewhere (the translation is dire). This is quite a well known French manufacturer of éthylotests. Look on 'Les Distributeurs' and you'll see the symbols of loads of places which you'll recognise from French trips (eg supermarkets, petrol stations).

There are lots of French sites which sell them online, even amazon.fr. I can't comment on quality, accuracy, whether they are officially approved, or anything else. I suspect one problem will be that there will need to be millions manufactured if every car in France has to have a couple; there can't be a law unless people can readily buy what they're being asked to carry.

Disclaimer. I'm not saying that I think it's necessary to buy one yet, as I haven't changed my view overnight, but simply trying to be helpful.

Gwyn

Thanks for the info Gwyn I was referring to the reusable type of breathalyzer and I think that you are talking about the one-use version which is now also available in the UK from Alcosense. It just seems to me that for regular use by those who travel to France a lot it will be cheaper and better to purchase a reusable model instead of a multitude of one-use types provided that such a device is of course calibrated to the French standard whilst retaining a one-use model in the vehicle. I am sure that these must be available and if anyone can post a any more info on this it will be appreciated.

Regards

Norman

Go on amazon.fr and search on any of éthylotest, éthylometre, alcootest +/- électronique and you can see loads. But if you're advocating conforming to any French laws which may or may not happen, maybe one should be buying what the law requires.

It seems a lot simpler not to drink. I think we're fortunate in that we have many nice non-alcoholic drinks or cordials which aren't so readily seen in France. One can only manage so much eau gazeuse...

Gwyn

Two years ago, I enquired at the Mairie to put the house on main sewerage as opposed to letting it run to earth. They sent meusieur Agent le Police Municipal who had responsibility for all drains in the commune. (I kid you not). He is the town policeman employed by the marie, but has all the policing powers of the gendarmerie, uniformed and armed like they.He had the cadaster, the plan, with him, and he knew his stuff. It was 11.00 am, I offered a coffee or a tea. Non! Mais peut etre a biere froid? Oui! certainement! I replied. By midday we were finishing our third bottle, and the neighbours had joined us walking the lane, measuring earthdrop gradient by thumb, and approximating the flow of efluvia in a pipe going downhill. He refused a fourth bottle as it was now lunchtime, and he was expected at a local bistro for a plat de jour and wine. He had other visits during the afternoon. Then with swift handshakes and bissous, he drove off in his police car. By the way, he's the one who organises the annual Remembrance Parade in the town - he ddoes the buntings, the PA, he's the MC, he visits the local school and selects the pupils who will read out the names, he organises the parade and the drinks.

I do like the French!!:thumbsup:

Two years ago, I enquired at the Mairie to put the house on main sewerage as opposed to letting it run to earth. They sent meusieur Agent le Police Municipal who had responsibility for all drains in the commune. (I kid you not). He is the town policeman employed by the marie, but has all the policing powers of the gendarmerie, uniformed and armed like they.He had the cadaster, the plan, with him, and he knew his stuff. It was 11.00 am, I offered a coffee or a tea. Non! Mais peut etre a biere froid? Oui! certainement! I replied. By midday we were finishing our third bottle, and the neighbours had joined us walking the lane, measuring earthdrop gradient by thumb, and approximating the flow of efluvia in a pipe going downhill. He refused a fourth bottle as it was now lunchtime, and he was expected at a local bistro for a plat de jour and wine. He had other visits during the afternoon. Then with swift handshakes and bissous, he drove off in his police car. By the way, he's the one who organises the annual Remembrance Parade in the town - he ddoes the buntings, the PA, he's the MC, he visits the local school and selects the pupils who will read out the names, he organises the parade and the drinks.

Sort of reminds one of the helpful policeman skits on an early Private Eye record

"Just blow into this sir"

"Phwr, I haven't got enough puff officer"

"Then I'll blow into it for you sir shall I - PHWWWWWWUH - you're drunk sir !"

I think the police man was Willy Rushton

Some interesting facts regarding drink-driving statistics in the UK and France. The French data is via the link below which also indicates that despite a reduction in 2010 the figures for 2011 were showing a worrying increase in total road deaths. In France, alcohol consumption is involved in 30% of fatal accidents and this proportion rises to 45% when only one vehicle is involved.

Link to French data

Alcohol is linked to 17 per cent of road deaths in the UK. Police figures show that 250 people were killed and 1,230 seriously injured in crashes linked to drunk drivers last year ( UK 2010 via Google)

Some interesting stats on UK drink driving (2010) showing a downward trend 2009/2010 via link:

Department for Transport (UK)

I cannot find the equivalent figures for France 2010. The figure of 30% in respect of France is very worrying indeed no wonder the French government is taking action.

Norman

And in my village a couple of years ago when there was big party at the café (ouutside beside the road), and the village policeman could be seen directing the traffic past it with a bottle of rosé in one hand and a glass in the other.

Well at least the guy wasn’t driving. These examples posted by fellow members are supporting the French Governments campaign to reduce the toll of dead and injured on their roads but it is a change in social attitudes which is needed by making drinking and driving unacceptable to the French people for only then will improvements be gained. To the great credit of the UK the figures quoted in my last post show large decreases in the instances of drink-driving (2009/2010) for example:-

Deaths fell by 35%

Seriously injured fell by 18%

Slight injuries fell by 19%

I look forward with interest to the 2010/2011 comparisons but the above figures do show just what can be achieved and we in the UK should be thankful for such reductions. I only hope that our friends in France can achieve similar results.

Norman

You are right Norman. We can be slightly flipant about these things but it does need a vast change in attitude towards road safety amongst the older generation in France. But that scary sight in truckers' diners at lunchtime, of drivers consuming a full bottle of wine with their meal as well as a digestif to follow, is now a thing of the past.

France's official government gazette confirmed yesterday that drivers will have to carry an unused breathalyser in the vehicle (including motorbikes) from July 1, but failure to comply will not be punishable until October 1. Sole exception is vehicles equipped with a breathalyser linked to the starter. The specifications for approved breathalysers will be announced in due course.

Individual one-shot breathalysers, which have a life of around two years, are available in pharmacies as well as motor accessory dealers such as Norauto, and motorway service stations among other places, at a cost of around one euro. The introduction of the law will probably mean they will be widely on sale, including in tobacconists and news agents.

cheers Martin B

Thank you, Martin.

I will be holidaying, in France, June/July and as a visitor wish to comply with its Laws.

The obvious places for me to buy a kit is either at a local UK Car Accessory outlet e.g. Halfords or on the Cross Channel Ferry.

Discounting any profiteering that may take place in either of these outlets i.e.will one Euro "translate" to £0-90 in Halfords/P&O. :D

Will regular cross-Channel travellers please update this Thread about both the kit availability and price this side of Dover.

TIA

George

I might pick up a few next time I'm over there, would be handy for the UK. I don't drive the next day after a night out anyway (just a matter of precaution really) but should the need arise I can always test myself and check. I know the limit is lower but any alcohol in my system and I wouldn't touch the car let alone the keys.