Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

France: Obligatory Breath Test Kits

Seadog

It's relevant in keeping a sense of proportion. You implied that the French police are looking for any excuse to stop UK plated cars and check that they've got the right obligatory equipment, but I would bet that in reality most of us have rarely been stopped.

I have been stopped twice, in 25 years of driving in France. The first time was in Alsace on a Sunday afternoon, when a lot of people travel the wine road and taste wine. He just asked to see the car registration document, insurance and driving licence. He was pleasant and professional, we chatted, and he waved us on. The second time was also in Alsace. This time the police stopped every single car, French, German, Swiss, UK, Luxembourg, Belgian... the lot. Again they were friendly and simply asked every driver whether s/he was aware of the new law which had just been introduced (the high viz vest one) and if so where was the vest. They weren't going to prosecute, they were just handing out a leaflet explaining the law and telling people where to get a vest if they hadn't got one.

My point is that we just buy the required thing, put it in the car and forget about it. I don't think it's accurate to depict the French police as enthusiastically persecuting British drivers. There's no point in getting hyper-anxious. Most of us will drive thousand and thousands of miles without being stopped. Occasionally we will be. Same as in the UK.

Gwyn

Well said Gwyn, I live in France and drive a French registered car & motorcycle and have been occassionally stopped for a "document" check, this is normal and accepted beheaviour in France. When I used to drive a british plated car in France I was only ever stopped once, again for a "document" check .

There really is no need to become paranoid over the rules of the road in one country or another, when in rome etc..

Graham

Just put it in the car and forget about it?, well that is up to you. Just consider that the UK limit is 80 and the French 50 or as some newspapers report the equivalent of two glasses of wine. There is no doubt that when this new law comes into being the police will actively enforce it or what then was the point of it in the first place?. From one of the reports:-

"Police are expected to carry out random checks on drivers crossing into France via Calais to ensure that they understand the latest drink-driving rules".

To repeat what you say:

My point is that we just buy the required thing, put it in the car and forget about it.

That of course is your personal decision, not I hasten to add mine.

Norman

Just put it in the car and forget about it?, well that is up to you. Just consider that the UK limit is 80 and the French 50 or as some newspapers report the equivalent of two glasses of wine. There is no doubt that when this new law comes into being the police will actively enforce it or what then was the point of it in the first place?. From one of the reports:-

"Police are expected to carry out random checks on drivers crossing into France via Calais to ensure that they understand the latest drink-driving rules".

To repeat what you say:

My point is that we just buy the required thing, put it in the car and forget about it.

That of course is your personal decision, not I hasten to add mine.

Norman

So what are you going to do refuse to have one in the car as a point of principle? Well as P T Barnum said ...........

Just put it in the car and forget about it?, well that is up to you. Just consider that the UK limit is 80 and the French 50 or as some newspapers report the equivalent of two glasses of wine. There is no doubt that when this new law comes into being the police will actively enforce it or what then was the point of it in the first place?.

Yes, so if you've got it (whatever it is - high viz, triangle, first aid kit, éthylotests...) you know it's there if you're stopped. So then you get on with enjoying your trip.

The reason for these campaigns, and the night club rules I linked to previously, is to try to do something about the awful drink-driving accident rate and to change driver behaviour. Anyone would think it was a plot Sarkozy dreamed up in revenge for Agincourt or something.

Gwyn

Keith see link below, posted for example purposes only------other kits are available :thumbsup:

Breathalyzers

Norman

PS Please note that for use in France only the type with the NF standard MUST be used.

Thanks Norman

I have ordered some for my trip to Cambrai next week

Yes, so if you've got it (whatever it is - high viz, triangle, first aid kit, éthylotests...) you know it's there if you're stopped. So then you get on with enjoying your trip.

The reason for these campaigns, and the night club rules I linked to previously, is to try to do something about the awful drink-driving accident rate and to change driver behaviour. Anyone would think it was a plot Sarkozy dreamed up in revenge for Agincourt or something.

Gwyn

Gwyn I think there must be some misunderstanding on your part with regard to "You’ve got it" comments. Do you not understand that the one-use breathalyzer is intended to be used before you drive, certainly the morning after the night before to ensure that you are a fit and proper person to take to the road and that the possibility of you causing death or injury to other road users is minimized. Surely any responsible driver will be only too happy to undertake such a test using the NF approved devices.

My only query is that there can be no compulsion placed on drivers to use the tester, but unlike the other motoring requirements this one is directly related to road safety. I hope that the present companies who make all types of reusable breathalyzer devices will eventually make one that is either multi-standard for use in the UK/France etc or a stand alone device for use only in France.

Let me pose this question to you Gwyn, if and when you next drive to France will you be using the one-use breathalyzer to test yourself prior to driving( presuming that you drink), I know I will as I presently do here in the UK with the reusable version.

Norman

Peter, very sensible.

There is nothing on the French government website that mentions this. There is nothing on the website of my Automobile Club.

Nothing known, in other words despite the British hysteria.

If you are someone who regularly imbibes more than is good for you :hypocrite: then it may be wise to have a couple of "one shot" breath testers in the car so that you can indeed test yourself before driving the next day and have one in the unlikely case that you are stopped.

There is no law in France that states that you have to test yourself prior to driving (although I suspect that a well known Nanny state, probably would if they had a similar system :whistle: ) The French authorities leave that decision to individual choice, but if you are then stopped and asked to produce the tester and you do not have a breath tester in the car you will be fined a staggering 11 euro. Come on people get over it.

I understand from the French press here that it will only be enforced in November, although you will get a warning prior to that date and if stopped again prior to November you "may" face the fine.

Gwyn I think there must be some misunderstanding on your part with regard to "You've got it" comments. Do you not understand that the one-use breathalyzer is intended to be used before you drive, certainly the morning after the night before to ensure that you are a fit and proper person to take to the road and that the possibility of you causing death or injury to other road users is minimized. Surely any responsible driver will be only too happy to undertake such a test using the NF approved devices.

... but unlike the other motoring requirements this one is directly related to road safety.

I don't misunderstand anything. If the French government or any other mainland Europe government requires me as a driver to carry a high viz vest, a triangle, a first aid kit, twenty two éthylotests, light bulbs, fire extinguisher, a gas mask, a spare biro, a Martian zapper and a Batman outfit, I will put them in my car and keep them there. And then forget about them. I always have done. Then if I'm stopped, I can say to the horrid nice police officer, who is sitting in a bush simply awaiting a UK plated car, "Fret not, dear chap, I have it. Voilà!"

If I don't drink before driving, I won't blow into my little tube. So it's sitting there with its friends in the glove box awaiting the sneaky, lurking forrin plods. I'm totally missing what the big deal is.

I can't agree that the other obligatory requirements are unrelated to road safety. I wouldn't want to stand on any main road in any country swapping my spare wheel - assuming I could handle it, which I couldn't - without a conspicuity jacket.

But according to Healdav today, and the link to the French government site which I gave a few days ago, and other people who actually live there, it isn't a law. Yet. If.

Gwyn

British hysteria (post 58) Are you saying that the multitude of reports for which there are links on this thread are wrong? Are you actually saying that this is all fabricated? Unfortunately this line of argument is diverting the traveler from the real issue, that of the enormous toll of drink-driving related deaths and injuries reported in France. There is now a simple way to ensure that we as drivers in that country can be reassured that we do not contribute to the toll by being over the drink-driving limit. Irrespective of the arguments posted here that try to deprecate the media reports. The ability to purchase one-use breathalyzer kits at a reasonable cost should be welcomed by the driver who is conscious of his/her responsibilities towards both other road users and the French road traffic law.

Norman

Centurion that is interesting about a breathalyzer immobilizer being mandatory in all buses from 1st Sept 2015.

Norman - thanks a lot for the information and for the link on the previous page. I also have bought a pack of 12 from them. I'll share them with other family members who take their vehicles occasionally. I travel there about five or six times per year, and spend most of the summer working there. I have been stopped in a GB plated car for offences twice - speeding once and failing to stop at a stop sign :blush: . On neither occasion did John Dam ask for the triangle, bulbs, etc etc. They did the necessary paperwork and lightened my wallet by 90E. I've been stopped in a French plated car four times for routine checks - and two included the full equipment requirements. The other two times, noticing that I was 'etranger' with a broad Welsh French accent they courteously waved me on!

But I have passed numerous roadside John Dam traffic police presences where, hand on pistol, they gaze at each passing car and randomly point at a few to pull over. So that's 6 times stopped, and I've lost count the occasions where I could have been randomly stopped.

I still like them though! ^_^

Its a tough life in the deep and darkest Limousin :ph34r::)

Driving around in a limousine with darkened windows, no wonder you were stopped :whistle:

• Admin

I have been stopped once in France for an on the spot breathalyser test; I had drunk 2 glasses of wine the night before and was allowed to go in my way by the Gendarme.

Michelle

If ----it becomes the law, which nobody knows yet, how do I remember to use the future maybe required breathalyser after having drunk my usual bottle of Pernod? :blink: blurp!

... Anyone would think it was a plot Sarkozy dreamed up in revenge for Agincourt or something.

Ah, I see, so that's what its all about !

Back to post # 43 then, - Agincourt was pre Act of Union, so its a problem for the English, and the rest of us Brits have nothing to worry about :whistle:

Tom

British hysteria (post 58) Are you saying that the multitude of reports for which there are links on this thread are wrong? Are you actually saying that this is all fabricated? Unfortunately this line of argument is diverting the traveler from the real issue, that of the enormous toll of drink-driving related deaths and injuries reported in France. There is now a simple way to ensure that we as drivers in that country can be reassured that we do not contribute to the toll by being over the drink-driving limit. Irrespective of the arguments posted here that try to deprecate the media reports. The ability to purchase one-use breathalyzer kits at a reasonable cost should be welcomed by the driver who is conscious of his/her responsibilities towards both other road users and the French road traffic law.

Norman

Centurion that is interesting about a breathalyzer immobilizer being mandatory in all buses from 1st Sept 2015.

Actually none of the links to websites in post 61 gives any official information at all. They date from last December when Sarkozy said it would be introduced. As I said before there is as yet no official info of any sort.

Believe me, with 150,000 crossing the border to work here every day (let alone ordinary shoppers, travellers get a haircut, etc) and a special newspaper fir cross border travellers, we would know in minutes about something official. No mention anywhere.

IF the law does get introduced ,how long does the little gizmo last ,a year? these things do have a shelf life ,also will they all have one supplier ? or a load of cheap and nasty ones made in China that after 7 pints do change colour , oh yes officer i used this and its still green so i must be ok ? the thing has not been thought through ,the locals here all say Ha Ha its all to catch you boozed up brits ! as they stand in the bar from 8 AM and finally drive home along the back roads , a few years ago here in the Pas De Calais all the speed related accidents were blamed on the Brits , then the figures were released and yep it was the Belgians who one that race as the most stopped for speeding , this is just one more stupid Sarkozy law ,unless is brother in law has the contract to supply the bloody things ?

I have never been stopped at all and have been driving on the continent formany years apart from a near miss in North Burgandy about 15 years ago.Travelling on a RN,a clearing came in view to my right.In the clearing was a large black bus and massing around the clearing were people in police uniform.A gendarme beckoned me to drive into the clearing but when he saw that it a GB car suddenly ushered me away and signalled to me to carry on.

He obviously did not want to stop me and I deduced that the stopping of motorists was part of police induction training.

Whether or not the French motorist carry all this mandatory gear on board is a different matter.For instance I have never seen a French car with the high visibility vest on show as it would appear to be required.

Then looking at the old bangers which frequent the French road network and the types who drive them,I would think there would appear to be a considerable workload for the Gendarmerie.

As regards drink driving,I do remember that there was a reported crack down in the Charente some years ago.The local tourist industry raised objections that the policy was having an adverse effect on the tourist industry.

Hesmond(Post 73) according to the link in Post 47 the one-use breathalyzers on that link have a “shelf-life” of two years. The main reason why the French are introducing the new law is an attempt to make motorists more aware of their responsibilities with regard to drinking by providing a relatively cheap one-use device which can be used prior to driving in my opinion on the morning of the night before as speaking for myself I always leave any drinking to the evening whilst in France.

Remember that this applies in the main to the French and if it raises awareness of the problem, which I think it has, plus it leads to a reduction in the death and injuries caused by driving whilst over the limit how can anyone disagree?. The French will be in a better position than the tourist right now as they can no doubt buy a proper reusable device and just keep a one-use in the car to comply with the law. It is a pity that there is an emphasis on the “Law” surely this is just common sense.

Norman