Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

France: Obligatory Breath Test Kits

Seadog

Can anyone please give an update - has the breathalyser requirement been killed off?

Thanks

Alan

Yup! Disparu! But the gendarmerie are still very keen on drink driving offences.

Theoretically you still have to carry one but the police have no power to sanction you if you fail to comply. Practically, they could be useful if you feel you may be over the limit (50 mg in France compared with 80 in the UK) and shouldn't be driving. Could also soon be handy in Scotland if reports are correct.

Cheers Martin B

Yup! Disparu! But the gendarmerie are still very keen on drink driving offences.

I thought the French police must perform duties sober?

Could also soon be handy in Scotland if reports are correct.

Right now! The law changed about a week ago.

R.

Hi,

Guys, wake up ! This law has been long abandoned here...

The French change their laws more frequently than their socks.

By the way, how do you know how often we change our socks ?

:)

Sly

A friend of mine has been trying to buy a breathalyser following the change in Scots law, but has found it impossible to do so. It appears that UK retailers are unwilling to sell something that might give misleading results to a resident of Scotland. Costco, his favoured outlet for almost everything, has stopped stocking them in its Scottish stores, and its website would not sell one to somebody in Scotland.

Thanks for the replies, but a reminder, drink-drive laws in Scotland are off topic

As I understand it from the brother who lives in France the 2-breathalyser law was passed to satisfy lobbying demands being made of the then president. The same brother also mentioned that the law demanding the two hi-vis jackets requirements came about the same way - has that also been dropped?

As I understand it from the brother who lives in France the 2-breathalyser law was passed to satisfy lobbying demands being made of the then president. The same brother also mentioned that the law demanding the two hi-vis jackets requirements came about the same way - has that also been dropped?

As of today: NO.

Thanks - and so I guess they still have to be accessible!

as amusing as seeing serving soldiers in full camouflage uniform, helmet, blackened faces (oops, I mean disruptive) yet wearing hi viz tabards.... smiley

It's also a legal requirement to have both axle wheel pairs to have identical tyre treads. Both your front or back tyres need to match the other precisely. A French tyre depot or garage would be acting illegally in selling you a single tyre which didn't precisely match the existing one. This was OK when cars had spare tyres which matched the road tyres and could be fitted to create a matching pair - but with so many cars 'sans' spare tyres its becoming a problem today.

(Been there - paid the difference!)

To be fair, which of us would wish an inaccessible hi-vis tabard?

Oh indeed, but how accessible are they meant to be? I imagine that they should be inside the passenger compartment, but what about, e.g., a van or land rover or a SUV? They are not required in Turkey, but we have one in the back of our Landie, and as we are thinking of driving to France next year, well, I know we will need a second - but is storage in the back ok? Anyone have any ideas?

They are often placed over the back of the driver's seat, so that they are instantly visible to any enquiring law guardian, and also easily accessible.

Martin

In my times in France I have never seen a French car with the high visibility jacket on display...the British were as usual compliant.

Further,I have to say that some of the local cars seemed to be out of place on the road.

In Luxembourg we were supposed to have them available without getting out of the car and I kept one in the pocket on each front doors Still do, as a matter of fact, even if it isn't required in the UK. When my car went to service in Luxembourg the garage was supposed to check that I had them - and did.

Christina