Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

France: Obligatory Breath Test Kits

Seadog

Given that anyone in occupied Europe chewing gum would obviously be American it seems somewhat counter productive.

Chewing gum was included in the standard aircrew escape kit from 1940 onwards - 1942 for the US version. The original intention was for it to be a stimulus to salivation - a later bit of lateral thinking involved the garlic flavouring.

1. No good buying breathalysers in the UK as the limits are different in France and, apparently, according to my newpsaper aimed at cross border commuters (the odd couple of million) only breathalyers marked NF (normes Français - French standards) are legal.

2. Every French person I have spoken to is baffled by the whole thing. The point is that if the driver tests himself and is over the limit he can hand the keys to a passenger, who then has to test himself! and still have an unused gadget. Multiply by passengers in car. And, of course, the driver can test himself a week before going out.

3. No problem this weekend, every gendarme in France is on the motorways heading to the holiday areas i.e. principally towards Bordeaux or the Cote d'Azur. This is THE weekend for departures. Breathalysers will be the least of their worries. I came back from the south of France today and there is already a jam that starts in Luxembourg (half way to Belgium) and ends to the south of Metz - about 50 miles! The other way; nothing. I did a steady 120kph the entire way except for the péage.

4. You can always pay at the péage with a credit card.

5. LIBER T is fine, but be aware that you will be paying more to use the motorway. You have to pay a rental for the transmitter and only get lower tolls if you opt for a frequent user subscription, which I assume most British won't be interested in (you pay even more for the transmitter but get a lower kilometre rate). I find that sometimes I can get through a péage with a credit card than they can with LIBER T (you don't have to put in a PIN, it just reads the number).

Just driven 2500 miles across and around France (Alsace and Vosges) for over a fortnight and didn't see any police checks and definitely none stopping UK registered cars for the fun of it. Lots of kits available in supermarkets (but I already had some in the car from the last trip) - cost about 2€ as I said before.

The main difference I noticed was that far more restaurants are offering wine by the glass.

... 2. Every French person I have spoken to is baffled by the whole thing. ...

I can confirm that as today I tried for the 1,352nd 1,353rd and 1,354th times to locate these things in a French supermarket, a “Roady” outlet, and a chemist.

Nobody on the Somme has a clue what an Ethylotest is. The whole thing is a cruel fiction.

Tom

Looks like a really effective launch doesn't it? Well as Sterne said of France back in the 18th century "They organise things differently here" - sounds as if this was organised by the town council of Clochmerle

I can confirm that as today I tried for the 1,352nd 1,353rd and 1,354th times to locate these things in a French supermarket, a “Roady” outlet, and a chemist.

Nobody on the Somme has a clue what an Ethylotest is. The whole thing is a cruel fiction.

Tom

Down in the south of France last week, a survey by the local newspaper showed that 92% of readers hadn't bought any and had no intention of buying any.

We visited lots of viticulteurs in Alsace. July 1st was approaching, they were aware that étholytests were about to become obligatory and there was less encouragement for the driver to have an extra tasting sample just for pleasure. (For the avoidance of doubt, I add that we taste carefully and spit the wine into the seau provided.)

I formed the impression that people knew the law existed but hoped that it wouldn't be enforced unless a driver was doing something stupid, a bit like our laws on the use of mobile phones while driving, widely ignored. Nevertheless, almost every day the local papers carried yet another report about an horrific crash somewhere, often in the mountains and often involving a driver over the limit.

As I said, wine by the glass was much more widely available and some restaurants made a point of drawing attention to it. I don't know whether this is connected to driving and drinking awareness or clients' disposable income in the current economic situation.

Gwyn

• Admin

I picked up my test kit in a supermarket for about 2 euros 20. We didn't get stopped either and we rode from Dieppe to the Marne and up to le Cateau then to Abbeville and Dieppe. Saw a few Policemen but they didn't appear to be stopping many cars. As we didn't eat out I cannot comment on the wine situation

Michelle

There is a serious shortage of the devices in northern France. I enquired in several supermarkets, two petrol stations, and one "Roady" establishment, and all denied having any stock. I called in for a beer at Avril's, and she had as yet been unable to find a source. However, no gendarmes accosted me, and I'll try again on my next visit. That is, to acquire the devices.

Assuming one can eventually purchase these items, does anyone actually know the procedure for their use - presumably this has been published?

Martin

There's a descriptive step-by-step graphic on the manufacturer's website in French - click on L'étholytest > Mode d'emploi - and English (> The alcohol breath tester > Use instructions). :)

The kits contain leaflets. We didn't try it out because we didn't need to - always, the one who's driving doesn't drink.

Gwyn

Thanks for that.

Now that I know how to use the device I need to know the circumstances for its use. Presumably this is all detailed somewhere!

I seem to have heard that one must have two unused devices in the vehicle. Now suppose my wife and I are out one evening, both having had a drink.

We both use a device, one giving positive and one negative, so the safe driver gets us home. If we are stopped on the way will we be fined for not having two unused breathalysers with us?

Martin

Thanks for that.

Now that I know how to use the device I need to know the circumstances for its use. Presumably this is all detailed somewhere!

I seem to have heard that one must have two unused devices in the vehicle. Now suppose my wife and I are out one evening, both having had a drink.

We both use a device, one giving positive and one negative, so the safe driver gets us home. If we are stopped on the way will we be fined for not having two unused breathalysers with us?

Martin

mais oui, monsieur

it's a racket, the chief beneficiary of which is the French manufacturer that has an almost total monopoly in marketing these things

cheers Martin B

mais oui, monsieur

it's a racket, the chief beneficiary of which is the French manufacturer that has an almost total monopoly in marketing these things

cheers Martin B

hi martin hows you ??

you actually got one , everywhere round here dont have have them and nobody seems at all concerned bout em, just have to look in auchan again

cheers

barry

Not so much a racket (conspiracy) I suspect rather than a total failure to work the thing through before implementation (cock up). Sounds very much like le petit (ex) president's equivalent of Major's cones hot line.

I'm off to France in early Sept - hope it's sorted out by then. When touring I tend to follow Jorrocks' advice "where I drinks, I sleeps" ie I've finished with he car for the night.

hi martin hows you ??

you actually got one , everywhere round here dont have have them and nobody seems at all concerned bout em, just have to look in auchan again

cheers

barry

Hi Barry

Looked in a couple of places last week but can't say I've been busting a gut to run the things down. Next time I'm somewhere which might have them I'll take a look

cheers Martin Bn

Thanks for that.

Martin

Yup.

I had to have some work done on my car whilst in France about a month ago. The local garage that carried out the work had the breath kits in a box on the office counter when I went to pay, so I bought one (two euros) to throw in the first aid kit with all of the other things I have no intention of ever using.

I had to have some work done on my car whilst in France about a month ago. The local garage that carried out the work had the breath kits in a box on the office counter when I went to pay, so I bought one (two euros) to throw in the first aid kit with all of the other things I have no intention of ever using.

You mean that in no circumstances would you use the First Aid Kit? Is this some sort of religious stance?

There is a logical disconnection between having no intention of ever doing something, and never doing the thing under any circumstances.

And a huge difference between logic and pedantry. As to your second question Centurion, I suspect religion in the 21st Century is a subject we may only address in Skindles, which I have no intention of frequenting. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bring this up again, but July has gone, and November is approaching, so it may become relevant.

Now that people are back from their summer holidays, does anyone have an update on the situation regarding compulsory breath test kits in France.

Martin

In the early 1980s there used to be a requirement for the motorist to carry the invoice of any purchase of alcohol.....such as a purchase from a regional vineyard etc..The said reason was that this invoice might be required to be inspected by the French police/customs should a motorist check be initiated.

The vendors were quite meticulous in ensuring that this invoice was passed to the consumer on the purchase of alcohol.Had a number of such items of paperwork issued to me but never stopped by the police/customs to ascertain that my purchase was legal.Have not seen the form for many a year...probably repealed by European legislation.

As regards being stopped for check on the possession of the breathalyser kit,you are more likely to be stopped to prove you are who you state you are.