Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Lancashire Fusilier

Great stuff, LF! A nice prezzie for me. :) it must have been a later development to have a telecoms link to a soldier on the lorry. In my Grandfater's notes, dating from late 1916 to early 1917, this function was performed by the No 1 from a position on the ground.

Keith

Keith,

I particularly liked this sequence of photos, as it shows the advance in the technology of using telephones by the gun crew. The photos are dated 13th March, 1918, so big changes since the start of the war.

Regards,

LF

Heads up re a new book. Chap I know is about to launch his second book which may well interest some forum members. They are in the process of building a suitable website which will give you a good idea re content. Supposed to retail for AUD50 plus post etc. Basically WW1 in colour etc. For the purists, I would make the comment that it is not "off" thread as there are a few good MT images included. Regards.... Rod

www.thediggersview.com.au

Battle of Hazebrouck - An Artillery Subaltern is fitting a Lewis machine gun to a motorcycle combination to assist in covering the withdrawal of his guns from near Merris on 12th April, 1918.

Merris was then a small village, situated mid-way between Hazebrouck ( to its west ) and Bailleul ( to its east ) in the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region.

Also of note, an Acetylene Generator used to supply additional power to a military spot-light or headlight, has been fitted to the mudguard of the sidecar.

LF

IWMQ8691 This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-28697300-1388079803_thumb.j

Heads up re a new book.

Rod,

Looks like a very interesting WW1 book is in the works, I particularly like the use of ' coloured ' photos, there is a great photo of Germans with a British tank.

Hopefully, you will keep us posted on the books publication.

Regards,

LF

Re my post 1039

The photo of the 17th Armoured car Battalion was a poor photo this one is a little better.

Crimson Rambler.

post-89740-0-15486100-1388142981_thumb.j

Edited by crimson rambler

An Army Service Corps ( ASC ) recruiting poster, illustrating the joy of driving along the open road, and a photo of an ASC driver showing the reality and results of driving along a Western Front road in an open cab with no windshield.

LF

IWM Q1210 -13484 Thess images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-48381400-1388150596_thumb.j

post-63666-0-08821000-1388150616_thumb.j

Reference post # 987 -

British troops captured a German Tankgewehr M1918 ( Anti-Tank Rifle ) at Neulette on 30th August 1918, and put it on display alongside a British Lee Enfield .303 service rifle to show the size comparison between the two weapons.

The Tankgewehr fired the formidable armour-piercing 13.2 mm Tank und Flieger cartridge, also known as the 13.2 x 92SR TuF round, which was designed to penetrate the armour on British tanks. For a size comparison between the British .303 cartridge and the German 13.2 mm round, see post # 992.

LF

IWM This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

Since it doesn't appear to have been spotted yet, that's another reversed picture - it would surely be most unusual for two left-handed rifles to come together of their own accord :thumbsup: :

http://postimg.org/image/ss7omesyl/

Rifle_comparison_reversed.jpg

Since it doesn't appear to have been spotted yet, that's another reversed picture -

Thanks Andrew, and since you last spotted a reversed photograph, I have become an expert on left and right hand side views of a Vickers machine gun, the photo has been duly corrected.

Regards,

LF

Thanks Andrew, and since you last spotted a reversed photograph, I have become an expert on left and right hand side views of a Vickers machine gun, the photo has been duly corrected.

Regards,

LF

Spotting things like that comes from having something of a skill in being able to read upside-down, and to a lesser extent back to front - very useful in school when you sit at the front and the teacher puts the lesson notes where they think you won't be able to read them... :devilgrin:

LF another great pic in #1055, a Daimler 'box car' I believe with standard census marking on the bonnet for the type. Trivia item....our Drivers MT (AASC) were granted trade pay of 8 shillings per day. DRs/MC riders, 6 shillings and at the start of the War drivers in the AAMC were also on 6 shillings, an anomaly which was later corrected bringing all drivers (other than MC riders) up to 8. Yes I will keep you posted re the book as and when the author updates me. Have seen an electronic copy of a promo calander by another print company using some of the images with permission and it is a pearler so I have no doubt the book will make a worthy addition to a Military bookshelf etc! Rod

At the ASC's Base Mechanical Transport Depot in Rouen, lines of military vehicles stand ready for issue, note the quilted engine covers and the lines of fire buckets adapted from old petrol cans.

Rouen, a large Northern French city is situated on the River Seine in the Haute-Normandie ( Upper Normandy Region ).

LF

IWM Q8836 These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-93619700-1388237465_thumb.j

post-63666-0-02199000-1388237980_thumb.j

Fantastic! Ford Model T's and Albion A10's

RobL,

These two photos illustrate the Army's massive transport needs, and also the scope and scale of the ASC's huge logistical task in keeping the Army supplied with vehicles, and also keeping those vehicles on the road.

Regards,

LF

Another vehicle put to good use.

A London furniture van requistioned by the British Army to augment its motorised transport,stands in front of the cloth Hall at Ypres in October 1914.

Crimson Rambler

post-89740-0-74857800-1388311713_thumb.j

A London furniture van requistioned by the British Army to augment its motorised transport,stands in front of the cloth Hall at Ypres in October 1914.

Your photo shows the urgent need for military vehicles at the start of WW1, and they were literally shipped over to the Western Front in their existing civilian condition.

The backdrop to your photo ' Cloth Hall ' is also interesting as again, it was taken at the start of WW1 before the magnificent building's complete destruction.

Attached is a photo taken in 1914 at the Rouen Docks, showing civilian vehicles requisitioned for military use being unloaded, as in your photograph, the lorry still has it's

civilian commercial markings, in this case ' Pratts Perfection Spirit - Anglo American Oil Co. Ltd. '

Also attached are two photos of Cloth Hall, one taken at the commencement of the building's destruction, and another of Cloth Hall's complete destruction.

LF

post-63666-0-01066800-1388325779_thumb.j

Cloth Hall, Ypres, Belgium at the start of the magnificent building's destruction, and after the building's complete destruction.

LF

These images are reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-72926900-1388326010_thumb.j

post-63666-0-03595700-1388326066_thumb.j

The 6th hand-coloured photograph from the ' Dennis ' 1913 Motor Fire Engine Catalogue -

Bristol Fire Brigade - Support Truck.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-96960200-1388404904_thumb.j

Just as an aside to this topic does anyone know of a decent book that lists the different types of transport used during the Great War

Thanks

Martyn

Just as an aside to this topic does anyone know of a decent book that lists the different types of transport used during the Great War

Thanks

Martyn

Martyn,

If you look back through this Thread, you will find examples of the different types of transports used during WW1. You will see various types of vehicles made by Austin - Ford - Crossley - Dennis - Thornycroft - AEC - Peerless - Daimler - Rolls Royce - Lanchester - Leyland and others.

Regards,

LF

Thanks

Martyn

Hi Martyn

There is a new book on the subject coming out in a few weeks time. "British military trucks of World War One".

Here is a link to the sellers website, but you should be able to get it from the usual book stores.

http://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/British-Military-Trucks-of-World-War-One.htm

A Dennis Fire Engine demonstration being held at the rear of Dennis' Onslow/Bridge Street premises ( Rodboro Building ) in Guildford.

LF

This image is reproduced strictly for non-commercial research and private study purposes as permitted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, as amended and revised.

post-63666-0-32745000-1388429868_thumb.j

Hi Martyn

There is a new book on the subject coming out in a few weeks time. "British military trucks of World War One".

Here is a link to the sellers website, but you should be able to get it from the usual book stores.

http://www.tankograd.com/cms/website.php?id=/en/British-Military-Trucks-of-World-War-One.htm

Very much needed! As far as i'm aware, the only book that has come close previous to the release of this would be the Bart Vanderveen book "The Observer's Army Vehicles Directory To 1940" which covers all nations

Guys,

Many thanks for the replies, very much much appreciated

Happy New Year to you all

Kind regards

Martyn

Converted B-Type London motorbuses used as troop transports at the Front, note the straw and sacking used a engine warmers.

LF

post-63666-0-71504700-1388492734_thumb.j

As mentioned in previous post's , Military vehicles came from all makes, I came across a photo of a Wolseley 16/20 tourer 1913 complete with WD number on the bonnet and also on the front number plate, I do not know the location of the photo or the smart chap standing at the side of the car.

But the make and model I am familiar with , as a teen'ager in the 1950's I drove such a car on many occasions , it was owned by an old family owned company that I worked for.

The 16/20 with crash gear box, took a time to master, but it was very flexible in top gear, but you had to master the gear box when you came to a steep hill.

The other thing that you had to remember , that the petrol tank worked on pressure, this was done via a plunger pump to the left hand side of the lower dash area ,a bit of a stretch from the driving seat and you had to keep an eye on the pressure gauge, no pressure, no petrol to the engine, so a passenger in the front seat was a great help, but a great old car.

Crimson Rambler

post-89740-0-37165500-1388494213_thumb.j

post-89740-0-55094200-1388494298_thumb.j