Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Bn Rifle Brigade

Supersnapz

Hi all,

Looking for any information on the 12th Bn Rifle Brigade. In particular my dads uncle (Mark Glanville Chambers, service no 4593) was serving as a rifleman and died on the 04-09-1916. Any ideas of where and what his regiment was upto on this date.

Many thanks

Hi

From Rifle Brigade history:

The Battalion relieved the RMF just east of Guillemont, north of the Guillemont-Combles road, on 3rd September. Once in line the Battalion extended its right 100 yards south of that road. The area was a site of stinking decomposition without any recognisable trenches and the night was spent trying to dig a defensive position. Next morning a front line had been dug and wired but the Battalion suffered from heavy shelling. 12th Battalion was ordered to send out patrols, 10 men and a Lewis gun, to help establish a line along Leuze Wood, 500-600 yards in front of the Battalion line. 3 patrols were to be provided under Lt R E V Sanders. Before they moved out the front had changed leaving the Battalion's flank exposed, and the enemy were able to sustain accurate sniping fire on them.

Little movement was possible. At 6.30 pm 2 patrols started out but lost 8 men within 50 yards, the remainder lying in shell holes until after dark, when they moved up in touch with the SLI.

Regards

Martin

Hi there and Welcome to Greaty War Forum,

Here is his details from SDGW & CWGC

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=1543004

Regiment/Corps -- Rifle Brigade (The Princes Consort's Own)

Battalion/Etc -- 12th Battalion

Surname -- Chambers Rank -- Rifleman Army Number -- 4593

Names -- Mark Glanville

Born -- Exeter

Enlisted -- London.

Residence -- Forest Hill, Surrey

Died Date -- 04/09/1916

Died How -- Killed in Action

Theatre of War -- France & Flanders

Best reguards

Ian

Part of the casualty list containing his name. There is a detailed report of the operations of the 3rd to the 6th in both the Brigade and battalion war diary if you require a copy.

Andy

post-1871-023407500 1286930101.jpg

Andy

Do you a copy of the casualty list for men wounded in action, I am looking for 10879 Rifleman Horace Womble.

Regards

John Milner

John,

A rough dateline would be good as these casualty lists go on for many many pages.

Andy

Disregard last, found him 17/8/17 wounded in action. Last name on this page.

Andy

post-1871-018876700 1287007842.jpg

Part of the casualty list containing his name. There is a detailed report of the operations of the 3rd to the 6th in both the Brigade and battalion war diary if you require a copy.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Please could I see a copy of the war diary.

Many thanks

Hi there and Welcome to Greaty War Forum,

Here is his details from SDGW & CWGC

http://www.cwgc.org/...asualty=1543004

Regiment/Corps -- Rifle Brigade (The Princes Consort's Own)

Battalion/Etc -- 12th Battalion

Surname -- Chambers Rank -- Rifleman Army Number -- 4593

Names -- Mark Glanville

Born -- Exeter

Enlisted -- London.

Residence -- Forest Hill, Surrey

Died Date -- 04/09/1916

Died How -- Killed in Action

Theatre of War -- France & Flanders

Best reguards

Ian

Thanks for that Ian,

I have Mark's medal card and something I dont understand. Even though it said 12th battalion on the cwgc web site, his medal card says 2nd battalion. Im confused

Lee

post-50454-064336800 1287099631.jpg

He was 2nd Rifle Brigade at one time, going overseas with that battalion on 7/11/14 and then served with the 12th battalion. This is confusing to start with, the reason for the change could be that he had been wounded whilst with the 2nd RB, when he returned to fitness and went overseas again there was an immediate need for men in the 12th RB. So, whilst at an Infantry Base Depot he might have been sent to the 12th battalion instead of back to his original battalion, this a very common occurence.

Find attached his 1914 star roll from the 2nd Rifle Brigade and then his British War / Victory medal roll which indeed shows 2nd & 12th RB, clear as mud as they say, but I hope this clears it up for you.

Andy

post-1871-021423100 1287130351.jpg

• 4 years later...

I too am looking for information on a soldier of the 12 Bn Rifle Brigade, Reginald William Essex, # 13601. Have found his service records, medal rolls, medal index. He died on 22 Feb 1916 somewhere in Belgium and is commemorated at Ypres (Menin). Not been able find where his battalion was and in which battle, if any, he died. Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

Alan,

This was not so much a battle but defending against a German attack on the Canal Bank near Boesinghe, will place a little more here for you in a bit.

Andy

post-1871-0-86861100-1430032433_thumb.jp

That's great info, thank you Andy.

I am curious as to the reference to the Winchester Record Office - was this created list after the war, do you know? Winchester is where he was first posted though, according to his service records.

I searched the 'net for more info on Boesinghe and came across an old GW Forum to which you contributed greatly back in 2006, including some of the 12 RB war diary for 12-14 Feb. Would you still have the War Diary from the rest of Feb 1916 with casualty list, by any chance?

Thanks again.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Certainly, the Rifle Brigade is something of a passion of mine, although mainly the 14th Division battalions, hence I do have all the RB diaries. Yes, I knew that I had covered this area before as a good few battalions of the RB at one time or another, from the 1st battalions attack on International Trench, to the 14th Divisions time there and also the 20th Division, spent time in that particular area.

No, the lists were maintained during the war, you will come cross many references where they correct the lists as the war proceeds.

Andy

I noticed when looking for Boesinghe there are several cemeteries in the area (e.g. Artillery Wood, Essex Farm) so was wondering how come Reginal Essex's name ended up on the Menin Gate. Did that just depend when he died, do you think?

Alan,

Reginald's name is on the Menin Gate as he has no known grave.

Andy

Hi Alan,

Certainly, the Rifle Brigade is something of a passion of mine, although mainly the 14th Division battalions, hence I do have all the RB diaries. Yes, I knew that I had covered this area before as a good few battalions of the RB at one time or another, from the 1st battalions attack on International Trench, to the 14th Divisions time there and also the 20th Division, spent time in that particular area.

No, the lists were maintained during the war, you will come cross many references where they correct the lists as the war proceeds.

Andy

Andy, Any chance you could get me a copy of the War Diary from 22 Feb 1916? Thanks.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Send me a message with your e-mail address and I will send it over to you.

Andy

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi All

I'm trying to find some (any) information about my great uncle who died 17th August 1917

Name Charles Sears

Service Number S/16097

Rank rifleman

Regiment Rifle Brigade (The Prince Consorts Own)

Battalion 12th

Cause of death KIA

Right now all I have is his medals and football medals from before the war.

Thanks in advance for any info that can be given.

Cheers

Dave Sears