Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Bn Rifle Brigade

Supersnapz

1 hour ago, Sbd said:

I am wondering if anyone can tell me what might have happened to Daniel T Kay S/3492 (what does the S stand for?) after he was reported missing (presumed killed) on the 25th of September 1915 at Loos until the 29th May 1916 when he left Soltau for Murren, where he stayed until he died of pneumonia on the 5th of December 1918.

Welcome to the Forum Sbd

You will find quite a number of records on the International RedCross PoW site. There are 3 index cards for him and several backing sheets.

Here is one of them

Charlie

The refs are all below but the other two cards just add  PA 4741 (his trf to Soltau from Fredrichsfeld 5/1/16 in a group of 45 Anglais)

And R216195 which is the death cert I copy below. You should be lucky and able to trace his movements through various camps, hospitals etc !

1982411948_GWFKayD12RBICRC1.JPG.a0d37e0c4e266f2f8d745b66ca4f3eaf.JPG

Have you seen this death Cert ?  ref R 216195 on same ICRC site

1192172905_GWFKayD12RBICRC2.JPG.b1e8b3402181c46248df6f8ca469b44a.JPG

Edited by charlie962

Hello Charlie

Thank you so much for the link and the images. I have actually used that site before but not found all of the above, just the death certificate  - I  obviously need to practise using the search facility on there!

You have given me a lot of information, this will really help with my research.

Thanks again

Em

On 29/05/2020 at 22:07, Sbd said:

daniel T Kay S/3492 (what does the S stand for?

This old thread tells us it was the Rifle Brigade prefix for those joining K2 battalions of the RB, New Army. ie 10th 11th and 12th Service Battalions. We already know he was 12th Bn RB.

Charlie

Not quite, the S prefix denoted New Army men, first batch went to the 1st RB in October 1914. Although in the S prefix you can find old servicemen who had left the reserve and classified as new recruits not being able to take their old number back. A lot of the S prefix went into the earlier battalions K1 (7th, 8th & 9th) and when those battalions became vastly oversubscribed, they were split up ending up in the 10th, 11th & 12th.

Andy

No problem Charlie, just a small correction.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

• 1 month later...

Hi 

Appreciate your efforts in retaining these important artefacts.

I am looking for information in relation to my Great Grand Father Harold Gabriel KIRBY - 2LT 8 Bn Sherwood Foresters who was posted to 12 Bn Rifle Brigade in NOV1916. 

Matt STOCK 

Hi Matt,

You would be better starting a totally new post so that more people will see it, but do you realise that his service papers are held at Kew here :

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C709997

When they open again after the lockdown you could go there and take copies. There are also people on the GWF who will take copies for you at a reasonable price (far cheaper than what Kew would charge you).

BillyH.

Hi Matt,

Strange, the 20th Division KRRC and RB battalions had a few transfers from the  6th, 7th & 8th Sherwood Foresters on 17 & 18 Nov. I have found the other officers in the nominal roll of officers in the 12th RB, however there is no mention in this officers nominal roll of your relative. I will check the other 20th Div officers nominal rolls in case he was moved immediately to another battalion as he is noted as having joined the battalion on 19th November.

Not in my files of RB officers on my hard drive as these are all RB officers rather than transfers.

Andy

43849_2099_0-00264 copy.jpg

43849_2099_0-00265 copy.jpg

Edited by stiletto_33853

Thanks Andy - I see him there on your post - 2LT H G KIRBY to 12 Bn RB. I understand he went on course not long after coming on strength and then an appendicitis requiring surgery. He ultimately returned to the 8th Sherwood Foresters later in the war.

Welcome Matt,

I have the records from this nominal roll of all the other officers transferred from the 8th Sherwoods but not your relatives. I presume he must have gone on that course very quickly after being transferred to the 12th as these nominal rolls I have found to be extremely accurate.

Andy

DSC00247 copy.JPG

DSC00246 copy.JPG

• 1 year later...

To all, can anyone help please with more information about my cousin Robert Bird who was in the 12th Bn he died on the 31st March 1916. His service number was S/1376 he was born in1875 in Birmingham. I'm trying to find more about where he died and what engagement? I've searched for war diaries without success.

Any help is always appreciated.

Phil

• Admin

He’s buried at La Brique no 2. Not every casualty of the Great War was during an engagement. Many deaths were during routine trench warfare, stray shells, bullets. Also illness. The war diaries will tell you where they were and what was happening ( or not happening )

Thanks to Michelle and Bardess, I found the WDs as directed. The 12th Bn were entrenched on the Canal's west bank about 500 yards from Ypres mid March,  they were being hit intermittently by enemy artillery. They pulled back to Brandhoek by the end of March. It is assumed my cousin was killed in this area probably by artillery fire.

Thanks to all

Phil

Thanks Charlie962, this is the first photo I've seen of Robert. I didn't know about his brother, I'll have to research him now. By the way is it possible to get a better copy of the photo and the article, please.. The top of the photo is cut off. I have his service record, it just says "killed in action" and "killed in the field" Belgium.

Regards Phil

1 hour ago, Phil Bd said:

I didn't know about his brother, I'll have to research him now.

Start a separate thread.

Walter Bird, 12260, 6th Berkshires. d 30/3/1915  1916

Edited by charlie962

12th RB were near Boesinghe on the far left of the British Army. If you would care to put Fargate into the search facility you will find a fair few posts regarding the area.

Andy 

Bird, R., S-1376, 12th RB, 31-3-16 copy.JPG

• Admin
1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Start a separate thread.

Walter Bird, 12260, 6th Berkshires. d 30/3/1915

1916?

32 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

12th RB were near Boesinghe on the far left of the British Army. If you would care to put Fargate into the search facility you will find a fair few posts regarding the area.

Andy

Hi Andy, I did see the name "Fargate" mentioned in the WDs among although names but without the maps I couldn't find where my cousin Robert Bird would have been when he was killed on the 31st March 1916. Having just searched for Fargate as you suggested I'm still no wise.

I'm very much open to suggestions from those who know better than me about these details.

Phil