Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Bn Rifle Brigade

Supersnapz

• Admin

https://www.greatwarforum.org/search/?q=Fargate&quick=1

these  are the hits I get when I put Fargate into search, lots of threads, so a lot of reading. The link might not work for you, so I suggest you try again. 

10 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:
1 hour ago, charlie962 said:

Start a separate thread.

Walter Bird, 12260, 6th Berkshires. d 30/3/1915

1916?

Quite right, prev post ammended. Thanks. Charlie

7 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/search/?q=Fargate&quick=1

these  are the hits I get when I put Fargate into search, lots of threads, so a lot of reading. The link might not work for you, so I suggest you try again. 

Thanks Michelle, yes what a lot of posts, it takes a lot of concentration to compare the maps with the WD's. My eyes are watering at the thought of it.

If anyone pin-points where the 12th Bn were exactly on the 31st March 1916, before me, please let me know, it will save a lot of pain.

Phil

15 minutes ago, stiletto_33853 said:

12th RB were in the right sector

Not wanting to be picky but this map, near to Ypres, doesn't show where the 12th Bn were on the 31st March 1916, or does it?

Phil

Wow,

OK here are the dispositions for each unit on 31st March 1916 from Corps Diaries, nothing in Divisional diary. Forward Cottage is on the far right of the map provided. Now which Platoon was he in?? unknown.

Screenshot 2021-11-07 at 19.08.19.png

Edited by stiletto_33853

1 hour ago, stiletto_33853 said:

Wow,

OK here are the dispositions for each unit on 31st March 1916from Corps Diaries

Wow indeed, using the map in previous post I've managed to identify some of the trenches but because the 12th Bn Rifles were split into several platoons and spread out across several trenches it would be impossible to identify were my cousin Robert Bird was killed. All that can be said is he died in this area of the canal north of Ypres. Would you agree?

Phil

Exactly, unless you knew the platoon he was actually in. Right sector of the Divisional front as previously stated.

Edited by stiletto_33853

As you say "may they all rest in peace" Never forgotten.

This area has a good few RB unknowns with the 1st RB's attack on International trench. The 20th Division took over from the 14th Division with the 7th, 8th & 9th RB's in the exact same trenches.

Andy

Edited by stiletto_33853

Does anyone have any information on Rifleman T. Mcquirke S/23767 12th Bn Rifle Brigade. I know he died 20-09-1917 and is buried in Cement House Cemetery. 

On the centenary of Passendaele The British Legion sold special Poppies made from metal recovered from the soil in the area and dedicated the Poppy to a Particular soldier. My Poppy was dedicated to T.Mcquirke and I feel an affinity to the soldier as he died on 20th September and my daughter was born on the same date 73 years later, so any further information you can give on Rifleman Mcquirke would be greatly appreciated .  

I cannot find a service record for him. the 20/9/17 was an attack just past Langemark, two attacks were made that day. The 12th RB suffered from machine gun fire from the rear on both flanks. "C" Company listed as missing in action.

Andy

DSC06878 copy.JPG

McQuirke, T., S-27367, 12th RB, 20-9-17 copy.JPG

Try putting Eagle Trench into the search engine, it will give you a good idea.

Andy

• 2 years later...

I was wondering if you had any updates of Edward John Legg, who was killed in one of the Meterological trenches, misty or Rainbow, towards the Gueudecourt/Beaulencourt  road, we were taken to the site by a guide in 2018. I know they had found at least one body and a boot a few years ago. I was just wondering if anything else has been found or any further information is known. He was one on Kitcheners First.

Hi again Drummergirl,

I afraid I have nothing new on Rfn Legg and the lovely photograph you posted of him earlier in this topic has stopped displaying properly - most likely due to the various upgrades to the forum software.

Any chance you could post it again for us?

Mark

Here's where you originally posted it back in 2018

• 2 months later...

Thanks Pam - much appreciated.