Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery drill hall - help sought, please

Dragon

Lydford Map

I have circled what I think the site of the drill hall is - part of Okehampton ranges is behind the photographer

It is Hall farm just below the one you have ringed. Dropped the name "Spite" perhaps?

Well I have had a rethink & Hall farm looks good to me

Chris

On the map on post 243 the farm is not the one ringed but Hall Farm just a short distance to the south. The "Spite" dropped from the name perhaps?

On the map on post 243 the farm is not the one ringed but Hall Farm just a short distance to the south. The "Spite" dropped from the name perhaps?

EDIT WITH APOLOGIES: THE INFORMATION STRUCK THROUGH IS ERRONEOUS, PLEASE IGNORE - NigelS

Hall Farm does look very good, but is it?

http://tinyurl.com/c74u7e

Google maps gives a better view

Here's an old map

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/indexmappage2.aspx co-ordinates 250500 83300

Postcode district: PL30 3

Grid ref: SX028729

Lat: 50:31:23N (50.52313)

Lon: 4:46:56W (-4.78212)

NigelS

It is Hall farm just below the one you have ringed. Dropped the name "Spite" perhaps?

Or Hall as in Drill Hall?

cheers Martin B

Hall Farm does look very good, but is it?

http://tinyurl.com/c74u7e

Google maps gives a better view

Here's an old map

Postcode district: PL30 3

Grid ref: SX028729

Lat: 50:31:23N (50.52313)

Lon: 4:46:56W (-4.78212)

NigelS

The shape of the railway cutting below the road to the west looks identical. The side valley corresponds with Lydford Gorge. As there is no way of telling the focal length of the camera that took the photograph it is difficult to recognise some features.

As it is a tourist attraction of some note (White Lady Falls) perhaps we may be able to find some contemporary photographs for comparison.

EDIT WITH APOLOGIES: SEE POST 262 FOR THE EXPLANATION :blush: - NigelS

From the orientation of the building it looks as if the train would be at Lydford Junction - a lot of fore-shortening!

NigelS

Edit: No matter how hard I try, I just can't convince myself that the building at Hall farm - which does have the right appearance - is in the correct position and alignment to have allowed the photographer to take the photo. Either it's not the drill hall, or the building has been moved!

There are some parallel tracks further down the line, though....

I'm sorry to disagree. Looking at this location on Live Search Maps, in 3D and tilt mode, and orientating it in the same direction as the photo, this farm and outbuilding is on flat or gently undulating terrain which continues to the drop into the wooded gorge. It isn't at the flat bottom of a valley facing a steep rise on the far side.

The farm is a different shape, the terraced dwellings aren't there, the drive to the farm and DH isn't shown and the orientation of the farm and the outbuilding to each other are not the same as on the photo. I realise that premises may be demolished, but to me, tilting the 3D map shows conclusively that the terrain isn't the same as on the photo.

I'll try and place a link.

http://maps.live.com/#JndoZXJlMT1MeWRmb3Jk...zU0MzAzMzU5OTg1

Sorry, the link won't go to the 3D view. Zoom, click on aerial, then 3D, then use control and mouse to tilt the map.

Screen grab:

I've removed the screen grab now people have seen it because I suspect it breaches MS's copyright.

Edited by Dragon

Having checked my rail atlas - just south of Lydford where the GW & LSWR run parallel the LSWR would be in the foreground so now my thinking is that it is not Lydford - however just further down the valley the lines swap sides

Chris

I'm sorry to disagree. Looking at this location on Live Search Maps, in 3D and tilt mode, and orientating it in the same direction as the photo, this farm and outbuilding is on flat or gently undulating terrain which continues to the drop into the wooded gorge. It isn't at the flat bottom of a valley facing a steep rise on the far side.

The farm is a different shape, the terraced dwellings aren't there, the drive to the farm and DH isn't shown and the orientation of the farm and the outbuilding to each other are not the same as on the photo. I realise that premises may be demolished, but to me, tilting the 3D map shows conclusively that the terrain isn't the same as on the photo.

I'll try and place a link.

http://maps.live.com/#JndoZXJlMT1MeWRmb3Jk...zU0MzAzMzU5OTg1

Sorry, the link won't go to the 3D view. Zoom, click on aerial, then 3D, then use control and mouse to tilt the map.

Yes I 'm afraid I will have to agree, close study shows that the second rail line curves westward instead of running parallel as on the photograph. The possible change of name (dropping the name "Spite") will not help as there must be hundreds of "Hall Farms" in the country.

Another possibility is the china clay areas of Cornwall unfortunately my rail atlas does not show industrial lines. Several people are looking for places were other lines ran parallel to the GWR perhaps they will find something.

Apologies guys - a major muck up on my part: the building - which still looks right - that I was looking at in post 254 at http://tinyurl.com/c74u7e is not at Hall Farm at all, but at a completely different location that I had also been looking at (another one that doesn't work); so its not surprising the building's orientation was all wrong. Please ignore posts 254 & 257 (I'll leave in place but annotate accordingly). One of the pitfalls of having too many web pages open at the same time :blush:

The only correct info is the co-ordinates for Lydford for use with the Old Map site

Apologies again for the b*m info given earlier- retires hurt for the night (wounded pride) :(

NigelS

Thanks for looking, Nigel. I appreciate the time you spent. Thanks, too, to Chris and Phil.

I have a lateral idea. It will cost me 36p.

!!

I have a lateral idea. It will cost me 36p.

The cost of a stamp? now I'm intrigued - awaiting further developments with interest :) !

NigelS

Well, I was thinking, what would the post office do if they came across a letter simply addressed, "Mr Smith, Spitepull' ...

I'll put my address on the back of the envelope so I'll know how it ends!

Well, I was thinking, what would the post office do if they came across a letter simply addressed, "Mr Smith, Spitepull' ...

I'll put my address on the back of the envelope so I'll know how it ends!

Gwyn

You'll probably get it back in about 18 months time :lol:

Very interesting thread - wish I could help.

Mike S

Oh, probably. But if it pops back in 18 months time, with 'Not known at this address' scrawled on it, at least I'll know the address exists!

Who better to know every address in the whole of the UK than the company presently known as the Royal Mail? :lol:

Oh, probably. But if it pops back in 18 months time, with 'Not known at this address' scrawled on it, at least I'll know the address exists!

Who better to know every address in the whole of the UK than the company presently known as the Royal Mail? :lol:

Try the Post Office postcode website, you might at least save yourself 36p.

I did. :) Or should that be :( ?

I did. :) Or should that be :( ?
I found an interactive map of the GWR this morning on the internet then closed it down in error :angry: . I have been looking for a GWR forum to find out more about the train. I am 99% certain I have identified the type of locomotive on the train, if I can find out what routes these locomotives operated on before WW1 it should narrow down the search.

Thanks, Phil. Isn't in it your history?

(I hope you don't mind my saying this, but it isn't necessary to quote the post you're replying to. You wouldn't know, because you're new, that we've been asked to cut down quoting so we can save bandwidth. If the post appears in your reply box, you can safely delete it, or edit most of the text out. :) )

Phil,

Just use fast reply,

Phil.

Phil, Gwyn, et al,

Just looking at Paul Atterbury's 'Lost Railways' and 'on departure from Okehampton....Meldon viaduct....hills towards Halliwell...THORNDON CROSS.'

This had a halt until the 30's, a road[b3218] crossing the line, keepers cttage, and level crossing just south of Venn Down. Put me out of my misery please and write this off too! I've no mastered the google earth yet.

Phil.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look promising. While I was 'there' in 1907 mode, I trawled along the line from Okehampton to Halwill Junction, and also west from Meldon, and didn't spot anything which fitted.

Incidentally, I think Live Search Maps is better than Google Earth, especially when I'm trying to spot buildings. If the 'birds eye' view is enabled in the chosen area, what you can see is amazing. Aerial and 3D are pretty good, too.

Gwyn

Gwyn,

Just a shot in the dark really, but thank you for the technical info. Atterbury is a railway man, and has recorded a series of walks along GB's disused lines. Lets hope we can team up and do the same when this one is located.

Phil.