Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery drill hall - help sought, please

Dragon

All Swindon-built GWR locomotives had copper-capped chimneys and brass safety-valve covers, both polished. At this period the Midland did not run tanks on passenger trains, having Johnson 0-6-0 tanks for shunting and some ultra-short-wheelbase dock-tanks for tight curves. The "flat-iron" 0-6-4 tanks were not used at speed because they were unstable. Stopping trains would be in the hands of the 4-4-0 tender engines of Class 2P or ancient, main-line cast-offs.

Keith

Please could you explain what the significance of the GWR 2-6-2 tank engine is? Eg what era? Is it a passenger train? Do you want any more bits scanning? (Give me an hour!)

In the meantime, I'll go back to the database and pull out all the possible drill halls.

If it is a GWR train it can only be in 1912 to 1919 when they painted their carriages crimson lake instead of the usual chocolate and cream.

Just a couple of thoughts, the Royal Navy names its shore establishments the same as a ship. Could it be HMS Spiteful? The building looks like it may be a school, minor public schools often had a cadet unit and both the above would fit in with the apparently rural nature of the photo.

Anthony

Thank you for posting the map showing the Rudyard area. I was concerned about the reservoir not being in sight but then I remembered that many postcards of the Elan Valley, show fields, hills and tracks when in fact there are five very large reservoirs in the immediate area.

I found the pc on line and therefore am unable to read the reverse side.

Myrtle

Anthony

Thank you for posting the map showing the Rudyard area. I was concerned about the reservoir not being in sight but then I remembered that many postcards of the Elan Valley, show fields, hills and tracks when in fact there are five very large reservoirs in the immediate area.

I found the pc on line and therefore am unable to read the reverse side.

Myrtle

Could it be a school? The position of the chimneys suggests such a possibility, the upper floor of the right hand wing could be dormatorys. The central wing has the chimneys on the apex of the roof and could be classrooms. Many such establishments had a cadet force and would require a drill hall.

The central wing has the chimneys on the apex of the roof and could be classrooms.

Only the left-hand stack of the three is a chimney. The others are ventilators. That chimney is in line with the wall of the end bit and is matched by the single chimney on the other end. I wonder if the hall was heated by a couple of pot-bellied stoves, one at each end? My infants' school classrooms still had them in the 1950s and I remember them as being effective - though I also remember them glowing, too! :o

Keith

With the large doors it looks to me like a drill hall for a Yeomanry unit or possibly artillery.

I'm sure you're right, Myrtle. I reckon the doorway is about 8ft wide and 10ft high.

Keith

Hi All

Just spoken to a friend who lives in Tebay, he can't recollect a Drill Hall, but the river and railway and road all run alongside each other with terraced houses. BUT if the loco is a GWR one then what about the Looe to Liskeard line in Cornwall??

Regards Barry

I need to absorb the recent contributions, so please bear with me. I think it's wonderful to see people sharing so many ideas and lateral thoughts to try to solve the mystery, even sending the image here and there across the UK in the quest.

I'm certainly getting excellent value for my 99p!

Gwyn

My infants' school classrooms still had them in the 1950s and I remember them as being effective - though I also remember them glowing, too! :o

And great for roasting chestnuts!

The best chestnut roasting device I've ever come across was a 200MW boiler at Richborough Power Station in Kent, In 1975 I was part of a team doing research into gas and plasma flows in a boiler and we were putting all sorts of instrumentation into the chamber through small ports that had been specially inserted into the walls. There was a small platform by each port to support our probes and we used to cover any unused ones with chestnuts. They were beautiful!

And the drill hall's not in Sandwich or Ramsgate, either (he says trying to get even vaguely close to the topic!)

Keith

Hi all

Just looked at a certain pals website who is into researching Drill Halls and the one in Looe, Cornwall hasn't been located -yet. Interestingly it was in East Looe -- Artillery. The East Looe River runs alongside the Looe to Liskeard Line, right sort of loco. as well. SOMEBODY MUST KNOW WHERE WE ARE LOOKING AT!?!?!

Regards Barry

Dear All,

Been looking at 'On GW Lines' and a photo of Bryngwyn halt has very similar terrain but would have to be taken to the left of our pic as no buildings are on it. Taken in 1964. The loco is an Ivatt 2MT 2-6-0. This line was busy in the 1880's due to construction of Vyrnwy Resvr. Probably clutching at straws but Rockdoc has a post 103 which may have touched on this region.

Phil.

I'm sorry, Phil, but I'm lost trying to find Bryngwyn Halt. Where is it near, please? I know Llyn Vyrnwy.

Welsh Highland Railway...........

Barbara,, :) The Welsh Highland Railway was only 2 foot gauge and did not open until 1923.

The Ivatt no.46512, with 3 coaches is leaving Bryngwyn halt on its journey to Llanfyllin. This branch was opened from Llanymynech in 1863 by the Oswestry and Newtown Railway. May link to the WHR somehow, Barbara, and I believe there are three Bryngwyn's in Wales or the Marches.

I have also found an illustration[MJS collection], postcard size, in "The West Somerset Railway"[John Stretton], Which has STOGUMBER written in an identical style to the white printing in 'our' picture. Have you lots of these or Have we found another clue?

Phil.

Printing in LH corner.

post-37929-1237060718.jpg

Barbara,, :) The Welsh Highland Railway was only 2 foot gauge and did not open until 1923.

And I thought I was being helpful!.......It could be a very small train and drill hall................. :blink:

Barbara.. :blush:

It could be a very small train and drill hall................. :blink:

Never mind, Barbara, There, there! (Someone fetch her tablets.....! :D )

I wish it was somthing as distinctive as the WHR - but we wouldn't be having half as much fun it was an easy one.

Stupid question, Gwyn. I don't suppose there's anything on the back to tell us something useful?

Keith

The postcard, which I may be able to show if relevant, is showing the isolated nature of Stogumber station, and has been taken from the other side of the Doniford Stream valley. The overall panorama of the picture has the same feel as our picture including a camping coach perched by the road underbridge, a goods shed and the Railway Inn. The bottom of the valley and the railway line are also fairly central in the composition. Ones eye is then taken up to the distant hills/mountains. I was wondering if these two postcards were of a series from the West Somerset line, which in present day terms has trains climbing, turning and twisting over 21 miles of testing terrain[such alliteration!] between Bishops Lydeard and Minehead, with locos and crews having to work hard. Any cryptographer/handwriting expert reckon its the same hand ? The T does it for me. Several other pictures in the book are acknowledged MJS but this does not appear in the list, which makes me think that the postcard belongs to the author, John Stretton. Rather like Gordon Brown, he must have an unused first name. [quiz info!]

If it's Tebay then at least I've enjoyed my trip round Wales and The West.