Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery drill hall - help sought, please

Dragon

Thanks, friends. Yes, I'm ok (I hope) and I explored a bit more of the Vosges front line with my camera. I'm planning a very personal, non-academic, website on the subject. Seriously.

I have a lot of drill hall postcards and archive images, but unfortunately I know all the locations! If, however, you want one to guess at I dare say I could find one that's very obscure.... :)

• 5 years later...
Guest thejeffx

Hello, I don't know if anyone still reads this particular thread, but I thought you may be interested to know that my late father Kenneth Faux was the drill sergeant at Cwmcarn Drill Hall during the late 1960s. We occupied the living quarters there from about 1966 to about 1969.

I don't know either, but I was thinking about the postcard only the other day, and about adding this tale as soon as we are in a position to start work on the Drill Halls website again (very soon). There is a section on the website for memories, reminiscences and photos (in Memorabilia) if you would like to add a few words to it.

Gwyn

http://www.drillhalls.org/Counties/CountyPageDerbyshire.htm

Cromford is recorded by Kelly as a drill station, we haven't found one in Matlock Bath and information is vague about Wirksworth.

Please be aware that because of personal circumstances to do with a lot of family deaths, the site hasn't been updated recently and we have a backlog of material to upload. This particularly applies to articles from contemporary newspapers and to photos.

Gwyn

• 2 years later...
Guest MrsRoberts

Just a bit of extra info on the area of the postcard.

The white building to the far left is believed to be an monastic grange, its present name being tir siams yr Helwr (roughly translates to James the nailers land although has had a multiple of names) the old halls tramroad runs directly adjacent to the cottage and follows the valley down to a now closed viaduct over the road.  

The was also a train station just past tir siams, but out of view of the photo. The platform is still visible, but if you did not know about it, you would not realise.  

Where the old drill hall was, was originally the site of a monastery and several skeletons were unearthed during the years, chapel Farm terrace was locally known as 'skeleton row'.

'the spiteful' was literally built overnight in a dispute between thomas prothero and Benjamin hall in a bid to inconvenience the other over the proposed tramroad.

The ground now is home to a comprehensive school, although there are talks of this closing due to asbestos. A TA center is still  by priory court.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MrsRoberts

The white building to the far left is believed to be an monastic grange, its present name being tir siams yr Helwr (roughly translates to James the nailers land although has had a multiple of names) the old halls tramroad runs directly adjacent to the cottage and follows the valley down to a now closed viaduct over the road.  

The was also a train station just past tir siams, but out of view of the phoyo. The platform is still visible, but if you did not know about it, you would not realise.  

Where the old drill hall was, was originally the site of a monastery and several skeletons were unearthed during the years, chapel Farm terrace was locally known as 'skeleton row'.

'the spiteful' was literally built overnight in a dispute between thomas

Another heartbreaking bit of information regarding the drill hall;

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=68StTYAvpn8C&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=drill+hall+cwmcarn&source=bl&ots=4VFafKaDhn&sig=6ajW2ZeI0B_SwMSpD-kgnZrBe4c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_yOS5ifXRAhWsIMAKHWu9D9EQ6AEIKTAD#v=onepage&q=drill hall cwmcarn&f=false

The was also a train station just past tir siams, but out of view of the phoyo. The platform is still visible, but if you did not know about it, you would not realise.  

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=68StTYAvpn8C&pg=PA94&lpg=PA94&dq=drill+hall+cwmcarn&source=bl&ots=4VFafKaDhn&sig=6ajW2ZeI0B_SwMSpD-kgnZrBe4c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj_yOS5ifXRAhWsIMAKHWu9D9EQ6AEIKTAD#v=onepage&q=drill hall cwmcarn&f=false