Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Front line trench model

AndrewBelsey

I have been working on a model of front line trenches for the last few months and thought that there are many on the Forum with far greater knowledge on trenches that I have. My model is at 1:285 scale (a wargaming scale) and is about 450mm square (18 inches.) I am trying to include as much as I can realisticly in the space available. (dugouts, latrines, saps, etc. and have different types of cladding, etc.) I wanted the model to have a much more irregular feel to it, rather than the regimented lines that you usually see on models, but not in aerial photos. Nothing has been painted yet, so please ignore any of the colouring. My basic construction is a MDF board into which I routed the trenches. I am now cladding the walls with styrene and thin foil to represent wood and corrugated iron. (An extremely long, boring task, but easier at this scale and not done under shell-fire, so I won't complain much!) There is also a lot of car body filler everywhere. I'm a professional architectural modelmaker, so I've got lots of facilities on hand, but I'm doing this just for the 'fun' of it. I've made good progress, but still have hours of work ahead. If anyone can spot any mistakes that I have made I would welcome costuctive criticism. It may not be too late for me to make changes? Hope you like what you see? Andy

Well done Andy! I hope you'll include some blown out trench bits and plenty of debris.

All the best,

Dan

Great work! And I agree with Dan. Some section leveled by Geman artillery or mortar fire, now added with a sign "Hun snipers! Keep yer head down!"

Well done, Andy. My only suggestion is that when you get near the end it'll need to be more scruffy looking. Anything I've read talks about the shabbiness of the battlefields - I guess there should be lots junk and debris, etc. But I realise you're not quite at that stage yet.

Peter

Edit: I've just realised that the two previous posters have suggested this too!!!

Thanks for the complements and tips guys. I do intend to add debris, etc. I have put some of the shell holes on the trenches and am making it as tatty and haphazard as I can. I will atempt to make some signs, but as the figures are only 7mm (1/4 in.) tall I am limited!

I cant wait to see this develop and I would really like to see the end product for real. even now its Embryonic stages it gives a very real and graphic representation of the the intricate nature of the trench systems which is not really appreiciable from the old ariel photographs alone

• 2 weeks later...

A a fellow modeler Andy, I'm impressed! Well done mate, cheers for you for working in "braille scale". My advice would be to get some plans and photographs of trench systems and go for gold. Are you going to personalize it with signs, equipment etc? Depending on where abouts you want to set your trench system, dont be too afraid of a few collapsed and/or exposed sections of the line either for a real, gritty, and dangerous part of the line.

(Hope you weren't inspired by the dilapidated diorama at the IWM by any chance ^_^ )

Cheers,

Aaron

As a non modeller I must say Im impressed - if you can lay your hands on any of the Panoramas of the Western Front series you pick up a very good idea of the shabbiness of the battlefield

Chris

Wow! As someone who wargames WW1 in 1/300, that's verrry impressive work! Given that I have nil practical ability and fingers like jumbo sausages, I tip my hat to you, sir!

Please add lots of photos when it's complete.

Yes there was lots of debris but think of the live and let live system at times and in places on the Western Front. There must have been while not idyllic surroundings certainly a modus viviendi allowing a fairly "normal" interchange of fire so that shell holes yes but fairly stable and decent looking trenches did exist.

John

Very good work and detail should a great model when finished

Dan

Like it ... one thing to bear in mind.

I note the 'white spoil' around trenches etc ... am I right in thinking that you are modelling a 'Somme sector'?

If so, and depending on the 'time of year' , think of adding lots of weeds, overgrown greenery etc ... accounts of the battlefield in its early stages make great note of the wilderness which the formerly well maintained fields of Picardy had become.

Many references to this in war diaries etc.

Nice work and you must have mega patience!

My model is of the Somme area and mid war. The white areas are just unpainted Polyfilla so far - I have used various fillers for the diggings, etc. Please ignore any colouring so far, I have yet to paint anything. I hope my model will look similar to the one I helped make for Newhaven Fort, except I have time to add as much detail as I like and no commersial contraints. I'm doing this one for 'pleasure!' Please see the Newhaven model in this thread. http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=100455 Called 'is there a Somme model?' Andy

• 1 month later...

I've had a holiday and a bit of a rest from my model for a while, having completed cladding the trench walls. I've started to paint it now and will post pictures when there's something worth seeing. Meanwhile, here's the 1.285 Vickers that I scratchbuilt for it. I built it using tweezers, but I don't use magnification for my eyes yet! Andy

Very nice

Will you be adding the rounds to the belt? and the leather handles to the ammo box :lol:

You must have good eyesight then.

Regards Jonathan