Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Front line trench model

AndrewBelsey

APB,

I am really impressed with your project. Wish I had just 1% of your skill, patience and attention to detail.

Phil.

Landsturm,

I'm using wire wool, teased out and sprayed rusty brown. It doesn't have barbs on it, but I have to ignore that at this scale. I'll post a picture when there's something to show. I'm on my first row of wire at the moment.

Andy

Amazing :excl: Simply amazing.

What is the right direction to view it (using post #58) though? Which is the firing line and which is support?

Love the ant - looks like some 50's sci fi B movie! The GHQ figures have amazing detail for something that is only 6mm high. Do they have a website? I found a GHQ in the USA but couldn't see the WW1 figures on it...

Mods,

Is there anyway the earlier photos can be reinstated - they seem to have vanished - it would be a pity to be unable to watch as the model develops

Cheers

Grant

jdajd, Looking at post 58 the front line is at the bottom of the photo and support at the top.

Tim, the figures are GHQ's WWII British artillery figures. They don't make Great War Figures sadly, but at 7mm high you can't tell the difference and can be converted because they don't have the larger pouches, etc. to remove. I have some brass etchings of weapons which I have produced myself.

Grant, if you want to see the old photos, (which I had to remove because of the limit on attachments) you can view a lot of progress photos by clicking on the link to Photobucket below. There's another folder of some of my other models too.

Thanks everyone for your encouragements. Andy

Andy very kindly sent me a folder of his photos of the work to date, so there is another method of viewing them, but only if desperate (not too hot on this internet mail/picture/sending lark!) and if he's okay with it.

Having done 6mm modelling myself, I have to bow down to someone able to convincingly represent wiring posts in this scale - about the dimensions of a human hair half an inch long. I don't have the patience, eyesight or dexterity to dare attempt anything similar!

Rob,

Thank you for your kind words. There's no need for anyone to contact Rob for the photos - just click on the photobucket link at the bottom of any of my posts and it will take you to the folder he talks about - a lot of progress shots and details of the model. I'll post some photos of wiring soon. I did try to start wiring individual barbed wire but soon gave up. I am laying lengths of teased out wire wool and I have some brass etches (which are small scale, very fine electric pylons really) for some untangled wiring to add too. I've been rather busy with family stuff for a while now, but will get back to the model when I can. I don't know how John Reid finds the time for his excellent models?

Watch this space. Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Here is some of my attempt at 1.285 scale barbed wire. I continue to add small details to the trenches too.

APB,

previously I have had no interest in modelling etc, however I must say that after seeing your incredible work I have nothing but admiration for what you have achieved.

Well done and please keep posting updates!

Regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

Incredible detail at such a small scale too! I'd be amazed at that level of detail on a much bigger scale. Keep the photos coming.

Detail of the highest order .. love the rusty effect on the barbed wire!

Des

• 3 months later...

I've had a break from this project for a while, but I'm starting again. Here are the first batch of figures which quickly disappear in the trenches! I've still got many other bits to do including finishing off the barbed wire. (it's a tedious job)

Here are some in the trenches.

Can I make a plea?

So many of us are so impressed with this model.....is there any chance of seeing it at the Dinner in Brum in March?

I know transporting it there and back would be a bit of a pain, but there will be lots of us who'd be interested to see it!

Bruce

Can I make a plea?

So many of us are so impressed with this model.....is there any chance of seeing it at the Dinner in Brum in March?

I know transporting it there and back would be a bit of a pain, but there will be lots of us who'd be interested to see it!

Bruce

I'm with Bruce on this, would love to see it up close, this is very impressive and the detail superb.

Peter

Impressive to bear,

Thanks for letting us share the journey, APB.

Outstanding.

Regards,

EoB.

Glad to see you back APB - fabulous piece of work. Must say I've enjoyed following this thread and the evolution of your diorama immensely!

Kind regards

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

post-18209-1251994112.jpg

I thought I'd show you my Lewis Guns before they disappear on the model. The handles & bipods are brass etchings with styrene rod for the barrel. (They are 1:285 scale.) I work with very fine tweezers.

APB,

In-sodding-credible........I've seen ants bigger than your lewis guns and the wiring is incredible. The patience,skill and dexterity evident in your work is just amazing.

thanks, ET