Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme model

scarlet165

Wondering, if their has been or is one, a large scale model of the Somme Battlefield? showing trench lines, woods and objectives, best comparision i can use is a model like the Waterloo one or the model of Op Market Garden in Holland.

I've never heard of or seen one.

But that doesn't mean to say there isn't one.

The only layout I have come across is the one at IWM. Off the top of my head I would say its about 10ft X 4 ?

I don't think it represents any particular battle though.

Chris

I would agree with Chris. The Somme is much too large a subject to work up as a model - in any reasonable scale - even 20mm! Do you have a particular action in mind? I've just been reading Christopher Duffy's excellent book, "Through German Eyes" and I like the way he arranges the campaign from 1 July until 19 November.

Check out Planetfigure.com. I just did a search of "Somme" on the site and came up with 2 pages of model vignettes which have something to do with the campaign, ranging from Stephen Jamison's excellent "Observe the Sons of Ulster" to my little contribution (for a collector) "Three Tommies in the mud of the Somme" - painted by my good friend and fellow GWF member Roger Newsome. Enjoy!

All the best,

Dan

Thanks, no the model im thinking of, is more one just showing the ground, no figures involved, the one showing Op Market Garden, is fairly large, but represents a huge distance.

I suppose i was thinking more of a, to use the best term a sand table type of model.

Probably though would take up a large room, but in one way a bit suprised their isnt one.

Isn't there one at the IWM?

Kate

I think the one you your thinking about is the one I mentioned in my posting. Its been at the IWM as long as I can remember.

I think that it is a represention of trench warfare and not a specific battle.

Regards

Chris

I suppose i was thinking more of a, to use the best term a sand table type of model.

Probably though would take up a large room, but in one way a bit suprised their isnt one.

The ground configuration was very important in the battle of the somme. The various ravines, valleys and bluffs played a great part in the tactics for attack and defence. This would require a useful model to be on a fairly large scale. Unfortunately, the battle covered a very large area and this requires any feasible model to be small scale. One would require a number of large scale models to be worthwhile, this would be very expensive.

Ah, now I understand!

I referred to the map of the Somme, British Deployments and Gains 1 July, pages 132-133 of "Through German Eyes" to check the size of the battlefield. The "width" of the battlefield is about 18 km from Puisieux to Maurepas and the "length" is about 15 km from la Boisselle to Ligny-Thilloy. THAT would be a large sandbox model!!

All the best,

Dan

ummm yes a rather big sand box :D Would be interesting to see one though, whilst you can see 3d map models, an actual model would be better, i suppose though one for say Serre or Thiepval would be good.

oh well, thanks for the help. :D

This is a model representing the 1st day of the Somme Offensive that I helped to create. It was made for Newhaven Fort, East Sussex. It is 1:285 scale and has hundreds of wargaming figures on it. The black line gap represents a gap of several miles so that a Dressing Station and heavy artillery could be added to the model. We had to squash alot onto the model anyway and space was limited. It is not supposed to represent any particular section of the Somme, just include as much as possible. I am now making my own Somme model for my own pleasure, which you can view on another thread in this section of the Forum.

The only other Somme model that I am aware of is the IWM model, which is old and lookin rather 'tired' now.

Detail of Newhaven Fort's Somme model. British troops move forward. The figures are about 7mm (1/4in) high. (This is a copy of a copy - please excuse the quality.)

Cavalry preparing to secure the gaps made in the German lines. Light railway taking shells to heavy artillery. Ambulances preparing for the wounded.

Any close up shots APB, ?

it looks like a very interesting model

Regards

Chris

Chris,

Some of these are'close ups!' It's 1:285 scale and the figures are 7mm high! These are the only photos I have and they are copies of copies, so not very good quality- sorry! Andy