Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Front line trench model

AndrewBelsey

I'm adding grass now. Here are some close ups. I will add debris, rubbish, trees and shrubs, etc.

post-18209-1235483373.jpg

Here's my finger to show scale (and no Dave I'm not a giant!)

You can really see the piece develop with the added dimension of the grass.

I think that short injection of colour has really lifted it.

Full marks.

Regards,

EoB.

Fantastic stuff! If you are able to see the whole collection from start to this point you can appreciate the sheer effort that goes into a diorama like this.

Incredable detail in this model , that takes a lot patience to do all that detail and paint congratulations on the detail.

Dan

The grass is on and painted and I'm now adding chalk spoils.

It's beginning to look like the end is in sight, but I still have a lot to add!

Superb APB

:mellow:

post-18209-1236760768.jpg

I've been detailing my bombed out farmhouse/observation post. As with many aspects of this model, its difficult to imagine what it would look like in colour? Would there be any scorching from the explosion? I'm no expert and would value others knowledge.

post-18209-1236761228.jpg

Here is a section of trench that has reccently been hit. (as requested by some of you) Again would there be scorching from the explosion??

Dunno about the explosion scorching but I wonder sometimes about the effect of smoke shells etc on the no man's land area which (as you have rightly portrayed) had been transformed in many cases from well managed field systems into an overgrown wilderness ..

I have read accounts by veterans where they talk of all kinds of colours of smoke in the air during attacks .. would the impact of such shells or the release of such coloured smoke have discoloured the grassy areas?

Once again, this model is a work of fantastic quality.

G'day APB,

Ihave been following your posts re your diorama with interest and greatly respect your craftsmanship.

I would assume that some scorching could be expected especially to the timbers of the fallen farm house and other flammable surfaces, perhaps, for example, sandbags on the tops of trench walls.

Certainly I would expect to see dust, dirt, mud and other litter across the field of impact.

No detraction to your masterpiece - as I know it is still a work in progress.

I am sure that I am one of many (including yourself) who await the completion of your project with great anticipation. Hope my input is of value.

Regards

Pop

( Sean McManus )

post-18209-1237192864.jpg

You'll see I'm adding trees and shrubs now - or what is left of them! I still have more litter and barbed wire to do.

post-18209-1237193066.jpg

Well, the last attempt to reply went up in ether so shall try again!!

Congratulations on a magnificent work.

I have always wondered about the latrines, as there don't seem to be many photos of them. No. I'm not weird, just curious. :P

I did have a look through an illustrated book I have by the AWM with enlarged photos, and the shelled farm houses don't appear to have much, if any scorching. If you haven't already found it, the AWM collections site has thousands of photos of the Western front, including a lot of photos of damaged buildings.

Warning, you may get lost for hours in it.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/PROD/cst.acct_master...r&bos=Win32

If you have any problems with it, let me know and I'll get some photos to you.

Please keep posting.

Cheers

Kim

This is beautiful work. I am particularly impressed with your eye for colour scale - at the distances described by your model the colour values you have chosen look just right.

Regards the farm house - my vote - I don't know who gets the franchise around here - is to leave it just about how it is. It looks quite convincing now. With all the various munitions flung about in the Great War this is bound to describe one common result.

Of all the antiquities of buildings and construction methods - this one might have been feeble enough to tumble as a result of a near miss (and you've described a few of those in the neighbourhood).

You are welcome to come and do my back garden any day.

I wish you all the satisfaction and joy in the world as you complete your splendid project.

Don't forget the rats! Granddad said there were lots of rats!

Thanks for the tips, encouragement and advice. Kim, thanks alot for the link - I had to shorten it to get it to work, but it was very helpfull and I 'wasted' a while searching through the images! Andy

• 2 weeks later...

post-18209-1238415235.jpg

I've been adding shrubs, flowers and debris. I've been putting off the barbed wire - another tedious job! (but alot easier than our grandfathers' job under fire!!)

This is now looking quite amazingly good.

Will you be adding figures to the diorama? If so, may I suggest trying (and I know this would add greatly to the time) to vary the uniform colours just a tad, as no two khaki garments of this period ever match.

I have original examples of infantry other ranks’ uniform and equipment proper to the 1916 period, including complete sets of 1908 and 1914 patt. equipment, plus some trench stores such as periscopes, pick, shovel etc, all in good condition. If you need to see these at first hand to get a feel for how they look, and perhaps take some reference photos, pm me to arrange. I am in East London.

Best regards,

W.

Thanks guys. (I'll PM you Wainfleet.) Yes, I have a lot of figures in the wings - another marathon task waiting! If you look at my Photobucket link you'll see the GHQ figures that I'll be using. I also have a couple of dugouts and a Field Aid Post to detail and paint, as well as all the wiring, so there's still plenty to do! Andy

I know that our granfathers had to contend with 'rats the size of cats.' How about ants the size of dogs??

Andy,

I've followed this from the start and I am still amazed. That is just stunning.

Oh, and that ant is something special too!

Cheers Andy.