Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WAR MEMORIALS. Glos, Staffs, Cheshire, Derby & other counties

dog

Hello Memorialhunter, this is a fantastic piece of work, I have just one query in relation to the listing for St Peter's WW1 memorial, Wolverhampton, Staffs.

The memorial lists a Reginald G Browning and this has been identified as Reginald Gordon Snell Browning of the 6th Welch who was killed at the Battle of Loos on 2 October 1915 and is commemorated at Dud Corner. I have done some research on this soldier and don't think it is him on your memorial. To date, I have not traced any contact for him with Wolverhampton.

I think the soldier commemorated is Private Reginald George Browning, 41027, 2nd Bn Cameron Highlanders (formerly S/S/23287 S Staff Regiment) who was killed on 17 August 1917 and is on Tyne Cot. He was born in Gloucestershire in July-September 1888, the son of Frederick and Matilda Browning. On the 1891 census the family was living in South Hamlet, Gloucester. On the 1901 census they were living at 73 Bright Street, Wolverhampton. A later address for them was 7 Sherwood Street, Worcester.

I hope this is of help.

Moriaty

Hi Moriaty and SteveM

Moriaty.

Many thanks for the Browning correction. How I came to take the person named was by doing a search for R G Browning and that was the only one that showed. Should have search for R, but as you know that could be sometimes a non starter. All uploads have now been corrected. I will have to see if he is on any of my Gloucestershire Memorials. South Hamlet covers many towns and villages. Once again many thanks.

SteveM

Many thanks for the offer of Swanwick Memorial, feel free to upload

MH

Tong Saint Bartholomew WW1 Church War Memorial

Compiled with additional information by kind permission of the

Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Their names liveth for evermore

To the glorious and undying memory of those from this

parish who gave their lives in the great struggle

of right against might

ALLMAN, Frederick Charles, Rifleman S/12731, 1st Rifle Brigade, died 1st July 1916 aged 19. Son of Charles Henry and Ellen Louisa of Home Farm, Shifnal, Shropshire. Buried in Redan Ridge Cemetery, No2 Beaumont-Hamel, Somme, France

BEECH, Cecil Frederick, (Known as Frederick) Private 24078, 5th King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, killed in action 16th September 1916 aged 18. Son of William and Martha of 8, Tong Norton, Shifnal, Shropshire. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

BEECH, Charles, Lance Sergeant, 8th Rifle Brigade killed in action 4th April 1918 aged 19 Born at Tong and is commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, Somme, France

BODEN, Albert Harry, Private 200133, 7th King’s Shropshire Light Infantry died 2nd September 1918 aged 25. Son of John and Jane of 30, Ellesmere Road, Greenfields, Shrewsbury, Shropshire. Buried in Bac-Du-Sud British Cemetery, Baileulval, France

CARRINGTON, Sydney, Private 14564, 1st Grenadier Guards, died 29th October 1914, aged 23. Commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium

COOPER, William, Private 266715, 2/7th Sherwood Foresters died 21st March 1918 aged 19. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial, France

EVANS, William D, Private 22479, 5th Shropshire Light Infantry died 9th April 1917 aged 32. Son of Fanny of 13, Tong Norton, Shifnal, Shropshire. Buried in Tilloy British Cemetery, Tilloy-Les-Mofflaines, France

PICKEN, Frank Harry, Private 26685, 7th Shropshire Light Infantry died 13th November 1916 aged 18. Son of Henry and Sarah Ann of 3, Farm Cottages, Charles Field, Shrewsbury. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

ROWLEY, Walter Harry, Private 24742, 7th Shropshire Light Infantry died 9th April 1917 aged 19. Son of Mrs A Rowley of 21, Offoxey Road, Tong. Buried in Tigris Lane Cemetery, Wancourt, France.

SMITH, James E, Lance Sergeant, 59361, 9th Northumberland Fusiliers died 17th august 1918 aged 34. Buried Tannay British Cemetery, Thiennes, France

STEVENSON, Robert, Private 17298, 5th Shropshire Light Infantry died 25th September 1915 aged 35. Son of William of Cross Road, Weston, Luyard, Shifnal Shropshire and husband of Mary Jane of Shaws Lane, Tong. Commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium.

TILL, Thomas William, Gunner 146533, D Battery, 155th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery died 6th January 1919 aged 28. Buried at SS Mary and Chad churchyard, Brewood, Staffordshire

(Information from his Burnt Record) Attested 11th December 1915 address, 2. White Oak, Long Shifnal, Bishops Wood, Brewood, aged 25yrs and 188days. Occupation Farm Labourer. next of kin his wife, Alice Louisa nee Brown (Same address) whom he married 6th March 1916 at the parish church of Bishops Wood. He received a gun shot wound to his kidney and thigh on the 31st May 1917 and was discharged medically unfit 4th September 1917 with the rank of Gunner.

post-24132-0-31227700-1331713138.jpg

post-24132-0-66915100-1331713212.jpg

Swanwick Derbyshire memorial

World War One

C J Bacon

There is only one C J Bacon on the death lists but he is listed as from London. I am confident that the initials are incorrect and should be G and not C J.

There is George Bacon who is listed as a 'native of Swanwick'

George Bacon

121981 Sapper 254th Tunnelling Company Royal Engineers aged 35, Native of Swanwick. Died 11 August 1917, buried Etaples Military Cemetery,grave XXV. M. 10.

Soldiers died in the great war has him as being born Alfreton.

R H Bacon

Richard Bacon, 71643, Private 2nd Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts &Derby Regiment) aged 24 years, died 26/03/1917, Bethune Town cemetery, France grave VI. C. 34. He died of wounds.The 2nd Battalion were holding the line around Mazingarbe. On 25thMarch the enemy made a raid, putting up a heavy barrage of minnenwerfers. They were beaten off but one officer and one other rank was killed.

Richard was the son of Samuel and Rebecca Bacon, of The 'Delves' Swanwick, Alfreton,Derbyshire.

E Beighton

I have only found one death on CWGC for an E Beighton.

29120 Private Ernest Beighton, 7th Bn The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) died 27 August 1918, buried Quarry Cemetery,Montauban.

Birthplace and abode listed as Alfreton, Derbys. Killed in action.

J. L. Booth -

No obvious man that fits with J L Booth. Despite searching numerous sources, I cannot find a man to fit.

John Buxton R/10844 King's Royal Rifle Corps, Rifleman John Buxton,died 25/09/1915, named on Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial. Born - Swanwick

F W Challoner

43077 Private Frederick Challoner, 4th Battalion Durham Light Infantry aged 39 years, died 18 June 1918. He is buried inSwanwick (St. Andrew) Churchyard. His unit was a reserve battalion based in the UK.

A. A. Elliot

671 Sgt Ainslie Elliott, Derbyshire Yeomanry, aged 29 years, Killed in action 22 August 1915.Named on Helles Memorial, Gallipoli. Son of the late Mr and Mrs Alfred Elliott of Prospect House, Swanwick, Alfreton,Derbyshire. Husband of Elsie Elliott of 36 Henry Road, West Bridgford,Notts.

L.R Elliot

I cannot find an L R Eliot. There is a Leslie Berriff Elliot husband ofLaura, 20 Argyll Road, Ripley, Derbyshire. M/316692,Private RASC, 911th M.T. coy, died 08/12/1919, buried grave VI A 12 Tehran War cemetery

O Elliott Oliver Elliott, son of,Samuel and Mary Jane Elliott of HighStreet, Swanwick. Enlisted as Private 49236, 3rd LeicestershireRegiment on 29th September 1916. Called up for service 18thApril 1918, he then transferred to 9th Norfolk Regiment as Pte,42375. On enlistment he gave his occupation as miner and age 19 yrs 6 months.Died of wounds 9th October 1918 and he is buried in Doingt CommunalCemetery Extension.

A K Fryer -

The only area connection is Albert Fryer 166767 2nd Bn Canadian Pioneers aged 34. He was from Canada but parents from Nottingham.I found Albert Fryer's attestation papers which state that he was born in Somercoates, Derbyshire. He was living inToronto aged 34 yrs 11 months and enlisted 16th September 1915. He died on 26/03/1916 and is buried in graveX B 5, La Laiterie Military Cemetery.

W H Goodhall

Henry Goodhall 7012 Corporal Henry Goodall, Queen'sOwn (Royal West Kent Regiment) Born and enlisted Swanwick Derby's. Died of wounds , 02/12/1917 and buried in grave P V G 10A, St Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen.

G A Graney

1677 Private George Alfred Graney, Derbyshire Yeomanry, killed 22 August 1915. Named on the Helles Memorial Gallipoli.

(The 9th Bn Sherwood Foresters also fought on Gallipoli andthe period 9 to 22 August was horrendous)

T Green

The only man who fits and won an MM is 15583 Private Tom Green MM, 4th Coldstream Guards died 07/11/1918 and is buried in Wilford (St Wilfrid) Churchyard.

A Hanbury

30848 Private Arthur Hanbury, 9thBattalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby Regiment) aged 35 years, killed16 September 1916.

Recently accepted by CWGC as a casualty who had been missed (some 1000 found by us so far) His name will be inscribed on the Thiepval Memorial.

F Hanbury

From the 1901 census records of Arthur (above),this is no doubt Frank Hanbury his younger brother. I cannot find a death for him in WW1. This could be an error when they did the memorial The only F Hanbury to die was in the South Wales Borderers and from Wales.

H Hill

17466 Private Harry Hill, 2nd Bn Northumberland Fusiliers,aged 25 years, killed 1 October 1915, Loos Memorial. Son of John and Rose Hill of 2 New Street,Swanwick, Derbyshire.

L Hill

7617 Private Leonard Hill, 32nd Company Machine Gun Corps(Infantry), aged 20 years, died 10 October 1917, Dozinghem Military Cemetery grave X.J.7. Son of Thomas and Eliza Hill, 19, The Delves, Swanwick, Alfreton, Derbyshire

A H Holmes -

6474 L/Cpl Albert Henry Holmes, 2nd Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers, died 1 April 1916,buried Lillers Communal Cemeterygrave V. B. 12. Died of wounds.

Born Alfreton, Abode Swanwick Derbyshire, Enlisted - Derby

O A Holt

75113 Private Arthur Oliver Holt, Derbyshire Yeomanry, died 20 August 1916, named on Doiran Memorial.

W Jones

There are too many men and not enough information listed on CWGC to make a choice.

H Leam

C/6605 Rifleman Harold Leam, 18th Battalion King's Royal Rifle Corps, aged 36 years, died 12 July 1916 and named on the Ploegsteert Memorial. Son of Alfred and Mary Leam of The Green, Swanwick, Alfreton; husband of Mary Ann Orton (formerly Leam) of 46, High St., Swanwick, Alfreton, Derbyshire.

D O'Callaghan

Dennis O'Callaghan 5/6480 Royal Munster Rifles and 334959 Royal Engineers. There is a Dennis O'Callaghan who died inHalifax Oct/Dec Qtr 1919. I am waiting for the family to contact me as he is not listed on CWGC site.

C H Radford

T2/11530 Private Charles Harold Radford, 3rd Company, 14thDivisional Train, aged 25 years, died 7 October 1918, buried Les Baraques Military Cemetery Sangatte, grave V G 1A. Son of William Milner Radford and Elizabeth Radford ofSwanwick, Derbyshire. Served for four years.

J Steeples

15901 Private James Steeples, 12th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts& Derby Regiment) died 12 April 1917, Buried Lievin Communal Cemetery Extension, grave IV.A. 3

Born Swanwick, Enlisted Bolsover, abode Sutton in Ashfield.

(Presume his parents still lived in Swanwick)

H Stoppard -

37166 Private Henry Stoppard, 2nd Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers, named onThiepval Memorial. Died 12/10/1916. Born Wirksworth, abode Alfreton.Formerly he had served as 24750 North Staffordshire Regiment

(He is the only H Stoppard on CWGC)

T W Taylor

42464 Private Thomas William Taylor, 2nd/8th Battalion Manchester Regiment, died 8 October 1917. Named on Tyne Cot Memorial.

He is listed as coming from Swanwick but I have not found out which one. I am now sure it was Swanwick Derbys

F Turner

The likely man is -

32795 Private Frederick Turner, 11th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts& Derby Regiment) killed in action, 1 July 1916, buried Blighty Valleycemetery, Authuille Wood, grave V. I. 7. (First day of the Somme)

He was born Netherton Worcs, enlisted Chesterfieldand abode Alfreton.

G W Waller

6476 Private George John Waller, 2nd Battalion Royal Munster Rifles, aged 38 years, died 10 July 1917, buried Coxyde Military Cemetery, grave I. D. 67.Son of Luke and Mary Waller of 33 Derby Road, Swanwick, Alfreton, Derbyshire.

H Waller

325755 Private Horace Waller, 2nd Battalion Royal Scots, aged 24 years,died 9 May 1918.buried Swanwick Baptist Chapel yard. Died of wounds received in France, son of William and Ada Waller of 2 Derby Road, Swanwick.

(Possiblycousin of G W Waller)

W H Walters

203838 Private William Henry Walters, 8th Battalion South StaffordshireRegiment, aged 22 years, died 23 November 1917, buried Dozinghem Military Cemetery,grave XIII. E. 3. Son of MillicentWalters of 81 Derby Road,Swanwick, Alfreton, Derbyshire.

A Wagner

This is actually 23887 Private Albert Wager,2nd battalion Grenadier Guards, aged 35 years, died 24 September1916 and buried Swanwick (St Andrew) Churchyard. Husband of Martha Elizabeth Wager of 33 High Street Swanwick,

(Obviously it will be easy to check if the headstone has Wager or Wagner but Wager is an old Derbyshire name. If it is in fact Wagner I will submit an alteration to theCWGC)

World War Two

F Cooper

4975842 Gunner Fred Cooper, 4 Battery, 2 Anti aircraft Battery Royal Artillery, aged 31 years, died 23 May 1940, named on Dunkirk Memorial. Son of William and Anne Cooper of Swanwick Derbyshire; husband of E Cooper of PyeBridge Derbyshire.

W Flint

The only one on the CWGC site is

1113953 Gunner Walter Flint 148 (Bedfordshire Yeomanry) Field regiment, RoyalArtillery, aged 34 years, died 12 September 1940, named on Singapore Memorial.

There is an 888825, W W E A Flint with an area connection

Parents from Nottingham.107 (The south Notts Hussars) Medium Regt Royal Artillery.

P Lynam

937541 Sgt (Air Gunner) 9th Squadron Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve, aged 24 years, died 11 August 1943, buried Ripley cemetery grave 479. Son of Frederick and Annie Lynam, Swanwick

R Mathews

The only one I can find with local connections is

Ronald Hedley Matthews. His parents are listed as of Ilkeston and his father a vicar Revd William Ball Hedley Matthews.

S Smith

4978954 Private Sidney Lewis Smith, SherwoodForesters (Notts & Derby Regiment) aged 21. date of death between 18/6/1940 and 19/6/1940. La Plaine-Sur-MerCommunal Cemetery. Son of Mr and Mrs Frank Smith of Swanwick Derbyshire.

F M Tarlton

There is only one, F M Tarlton

C/JX207426 Leading Coder Frank Mintoft Tarlton, H.M.S. Veteran, Royal Navy, Chatham Naval memorial. Son of David L and HildaTarlton, husband of Marjorie Eileen Tarlton of Derby.

(Possibly his parents lived in Swanwick)

F Tuft

1207274 Leading Aircraftsman Fred Tufft, aged 31, RAFVR, died 27/10/1941, buried Miami (Grand Army of the Republic) Cemetery.

F Taylor

13017971,Sgt Frederick Taylor, Pioneer Corps, aged 45 years, died 25 October 1942, buried Swanwick (StAndrew) Churchyard. Son of Frederick and Mary Ann Taylor; husband of Ethel Taylor of Somercoates, Scoutmaster.

J Webster

23750 Private James Webster, 10th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment) died 26 September 1940, buried Swanwick (St Andrew) Churchyard.

It seems that he has a World War One, five digit number.

If anyone has anything to add or adjust, I will be happy to hear from you

Hi MH,

I've just started researching my family and was 'gob-smacked' to see both of my Gt Uncles listed below - Charles and John Houghton.

We never knew where John was, and now we do - much to the relief for my Dad(nearly 80) who had 'wondered' for years where he lay. I have to say I felt very emotional seeing both of their names. Thank you beyond words! Janie

War Memorial of St Mary on the Quay Catholic Church

Colston Avenue

Bristol

AMDC

545 men of St Mary's school and congregation joined up in the

Great War, 67 lost their lives

ARCHER-SHEE George, Lieutenant, 3rd South Staffordshire Regiment died 31st October 1914 aged 19. Studied at Stonyhurst College and Royal Naval College, Osborne. Was the subject of Terence Rattigan's play "The Winslow Boy". Commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium

BARBER L (Unable to find the correct one listed with the CWGC)

BARNIDGE John, Lieutenant, 21st Manchester Regiment, died 26th October 1917 aged 33. Son of William and Jane Barnidge; husband of Margaret Barnidge, of 7, Kensington Park, Stapelton Rd., Bristol. Commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium.

BELL Bertie Joseph, Stoker 1st Class SS/109325, H.M.S. "Indefatigable" died 8th March 1915 aged 25. Son of James and Sarah Bell, of Bristol; husband of Jane Elizabeth Ogborne (formerly Bell), of Conham Hill, Hanham, Bristol. Buried at Arnos Vale Roman Catholic Cemetery, Bristol

BELL Harold Stormont, 2nd Lieutenant, B Coy, 2/8th Worcestershire Regiment died 2nd December 1917 aged 28. Son of Edith Rhoda Bell, of 55, Linden Rd., Westbury Park, Bristol, and the late Rev. John Stormont Bell. Commemorated on the Cambrai Memorial, Louverval, France

BIDDER Arthur Henry, Private, 16575, 8th Royal Fusiliers, died 9th April 1916 aged 21. Son of William Henry and Susan Ann of Coffinswell, Newton Abbot. Buried at Vermelles British Cemetery, France

BOWDITCH Arthur Ronald (Memorial has "R" CWGC has no "R Bowditch" listed), Private 39065, 1st Royal Berkshire Regiment, died 24th August 1918 aged 19. Son of Fred and Sarah K of 5, Mayfield Road, Hampton Park, Southampton. Buried at St.Hilaire Cemetery Extension, Frevent, France

BRADFORD Albert, Private 10683, 1st Somerset Light Infantry, died 30th April 1915 aged 20. Son of Mrs Emily Bradford of 2, Asher Lane, Redcross Street, Bristol. Commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres,Belgium

BULL Frederick Arthur, (Mmeorial has "F") Private 37815, 4th Worcestershire Regiment, died 1st June 1917 aged 19. Son of John Bull of 101, Greenway Bush Lane, Ashton Gate, Bristol. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial, France

BULL James Albert (Memorial has "J") Private 300101, 1/17th Royal Warwickshire Regiment died 27th August 1917 aged 19. Son of John & Annie of 3, Nurses Rank, Pit Road, Hanham, Bristol. Buried at Tyne Cot Cemetery, Belgium

BURKE Edward, Sergeant 9661, B Coy, 2nd Royal Irish Regiment, died 19th August 1917 aged 26. Son of Stephen and Thurza of 17, Friezewood Road, Ashton Gate, Bristol. Buried at St Omer Souvenir Cemetery, Longuenesse, France

BUSH Bernard William, Lance Corporal, 10th Worcestershire Regiment died 15th September 1916. Commemorated on the Ploegsteert Memorial, Belgium.

BYRNE Herbert Fenton, Private 14015, A Coy, 12th Gloucestershire Regiment, died 24th July 1916 aged 24. Son of Fenton and Ellen of 4, Park Street, College Green, Bristol. Buried at Heilly Station Cemetery, Mericourt-L'Abbe, Somme, France

CRONIN William Maurice, Gunner 1873, C Battery, 73rd Brigade Royal Field Artillery, killed in action 26th September 1915 aged 31.Husband of Emily Maria nee Bishop of 7, Lamb Street, Bristol and father of Agnes. Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, France

DALY John Francis, Gunner 832008, C Battery, 306 Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, killed in action 16th August 1917 and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium. Birth registered 1894 in Bedminster, nr Bristol. The CWGC have his surname as DALEY, his medal card has the correct surname

DAY Francis James, Private 26966, 10th Gloucestershire Regiment, killed in action 9th September 1916. Native of St James, Bristol, and he enlisted at Ton-Y-Pandy. Buried at Delville Wood Cemetery, Longueval, Somme, France

DEARLOVE Frederick Ignatius, Private 202644, 14th Gloucestershire Regiment, died 9th June 1918 aged 38. Son of Francis James. and Maria Anne. Dearlove, nee Butcher of Bristol; husband of Mary Elizabeth Dearlove, nee Jackson of 34, Arley Hill, Bristol. Native of Cotham, Bristol

DELANEY J (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

DEMPSEY Charles, Able Seaman 234776, H.M.S. Monmouth, Royal Navy, died 1st November 1914 aged 27. Son of William and Alice of 1, Lewis Place, Broad Plain, St Philip's Bristol. Commemorated on the Plymouth Naval Memorial, Devon

DONNELLEY (DONNELLY) Frank, Lance Corporal F/1946, 23rd Duke of Cambridge Own Middlesex Regiment killed in action 7th June 1917. Native of Bristol and is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium

DONOVAN Ernest Robert, Private, 266630, 2/6th Gloucestershire Regiment, died 30th March 1918 aged 21. Son of Ernest Robert and Minnie Maria Donovan, of 70, York Rd., Bedminster, Bristol. Commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, Somme, France

DRAPER Herbert Stanley, Private 202318, 2nd Royal Welsh Fusiliers, died 27th May 1917 aged 21. Son of the late James and Mary Draper, of 53, Washington St., Kingsthorpe, Northampton. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial, France

FERRIS Patrick Michael, Private 200107,1/4th City of Bristol Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment, killed in action 2nd October 1917 aged 22., Native of St. Augustine's, Bristol and he is buried at Duhallow A.D.S. Cemetery, Ieper, Belgium

FITZGERALD Thomas, Guardsman 10557, 1st Grenadier Guards, killed in action 10th May 1915. Commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial, France.

FITZPATRICK Percival Cyril, Lance Corporal 9423, D Coy, 2nd Gloucestershire Regiment died 24th January 1915 aged 18. Only son of Captain and Mrs G H Fitzpatrick of 15, Clare Street, Bristol.. Buried at Bailleul Communal Cemetery, Nord France

HARPER Thomas, Lance Corporal 20715, 2/4th City of Bristol Battalion, of the Gloucestershire Regiment killed in action 16th October 1916. Native of St. Augustine's, Bristol Buried at Pont Du Hem, Military Cemetery, La Gorgue, France

HARPER Walter James, Private 266879, 1/6th Gloucestershire Regiment, killed in action 10th May 1917 aged 36. Son of Joseph Shipp Harper and Celia Harper, of Bedminster, Bristol. Buried at Bancourt British Cemetery, France

HAWKES Wilfred, Private 28094, 1st Wiltshire Regiment, formerly, Private 40991, Somerset Light Infantry and Private 38956 Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. Died of Wounds 8th October 1918 Native of Bedminster. Buried at Marcoing British Cemetery, France

HENNESSEY Edward, Private 22625, 8th Somerset Light Infantry killed in action 4th October 1917, Buried at Hooge Crater Cemetery, Ieper, Belgium

HOUGHTON Charles David, Corporal 2055, 1/4th City of Bristol Battalion, of the Gloucestershire Regiment killed in action 18th February 1916 aged 26. Son of Fredrick and Bridget Houghton, of 7, King Street, Queen Square, Bristol and brother John, who also fell. Buried at Bienvillers Military Cemetery, France

HOUGHTON John Burke, Lance Corporal 266788, 1/6th Gloucestershire Regiment killed in action 9th October 1917 aged 23. Son of Fredrick and Bridget Houghton, of 7, King Street, Queen Square, Bristol and brother of Charles who also fell. Commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium

JAMES Burnet George, Lieutenant, 7th Squadron, Royal Flying Corps attached Royal Field Artillery, died 26th October 1915 aged 28. Son of Sir Edward Burnet James, Kt., and Lady James, of Springfort, Stoke Bishop, Bristol. Buried at Cement House Cemetery, Belgium http://www.cliftonrf...l/WW1/james.htm

KINGSLEY James, Private 26903, 2/6th Royal Warwickshire Regiment killed in action 13th April 1918. Native of St Paul's Bristol Commemorated on the Ploegsteert Memorial, Belgium

LAVIS Charles, Sergeant 35778, B Battery, 87th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery died of wounds 23rd September 1917 aged 31. Son of William and Matilda Lavis, of Bristol; husband of Florence M. Meacham (formerly Lavis), of 7, King Street, Queen Square, Bristol. Buried at Outtersteene Communal Cemetery Extension, Bailleul, France

LEIGH Edward, Private 6828, 1st South Wales borderers, killed in action 26th September 1915 age 32. Son of Edward & Eliza of 1. Fears Cottage, Frogmore Street, parish of St Augustine's, Bristol and husband of Rose of Wesley Hall Cottage, Bristol Road, Nailsworth, Gloucestershire. Served in the Boer War. Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, France

LINTERN W. (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

LONG H. (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

MAGGS Joseph, Private 23659, 1/6th Gloucestershire Regiment died 9th October 1916 age 36. Son of Thomas George & late E Maggs of 30 Bapist Street, Bapist Mills, Bristol. Buried at Oosttaverne Wood Cemetery, Belgium

MAGGS W (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

MAHONEY P (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

MAHONEY T (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

MARTIN John, Private 26224, 13th Service Battalion, Forest of Dean, Pioneers, Gloucestershire Regiment, killed in action 21st October 1916. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

MARTIN William, Private 8259, 1st Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry, killed in action 14th September 1914. Son of William & Margaret of 1. James Street, parish of St James, Bristol. Buried at La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre, France

MAZZIE F (No record with the CWGC) (CWGC Have MASSEY)

MAZZIE W (No record with the CWGC (CWGC have MASSEY)

MEADEN Sidney , Drummer 9485, 1st Royal Scots Fusiliers, killed in action 16th September 1914. Native of Bristol and son of Mrs Johanna Meaden of 13. Alfred Street, Aberavon, Port Talbot, Glamorgan. Commemorated on the La Ferte-Sous Jouarre Memorial, France

MURPHY C (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

MURPHY Thomas, Gunner 27880, 101st Battery, Royal Field Artillery died 28th January 1915. Buried at Arnos Vale Roman Catholic Cemetery, Bristol

O'CONNELL Daniel, Private 10221, 6th Somerset Light Infantry, killed in action 2nd August 1915. Native of St James, Bristol, commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium

O'CONNELL Peter, Sapper 494746, 124th Field Coy, Royal Engineers, died of wounds 9th June 1918. Native of Bristol, and is buried at Hedauville Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme, France

O'TOOLE Dennis Patrick, Sergeant 8192, 1st South Wales borderers, died 9th May 1915 age 33. Son of Michael Annie O'Toole of 132 York Road, New Cut, Bristol. Commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial, France

PARKHOUSE F (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

PHILLIPS G (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

PIPER James, Private 201637, 1/4th Gloucestershire Regiment died 22nd August 1916 age 19. Son of Frank William & Elizabeth of 12. Eugene Street Flats, parish of St James, Bristol. Buried at Serre Road Cemetery, No2, Somme, France

PRING George, Private 49625, 4th Worcestershire Regiment died of wounds 29th September 1918. Buried at Ypres reservoir Cemetery, Belgium

RIDEOUT Frank, Private 7979, 1st South Wales borderERS, died of wounds 13th November 1914 age 30. Native of St James, Bristol, son of William Charles and husband of Ada Mary of 16. Fortiael, Rogerstone, Newport Monmouthshire, South Wales. Buried at Poperinghe Old Military Cemetery, Belgium

RIORDAN Timothy Harold, 2nd Lieutenant, 4th King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry, died 6th July 1916 age 20. Son of Daniel & Elizabeth of Cotham Grove, Bristol. Buried at Forceville Communal Cemetery & Extension, Somme, France

ROBBINS George Henry, Private 4744, 2/6th Gloucestershire Regiment died 19th July 1916 age 32. Son of George & Sarah of Lambert Place, st Augustine's Bristol. Buried at Laventie Military Cemetery, La Gorgue, Nord France

RYAN D (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

SCOTT T (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

SCURRY Thomas John, private 5590, 2nd Duke of Cornwalls Light Infantry died 25th April 1915. Native of St Augustine's Bristol and is buried at Cambridge City Cemetery, Cambridgeshire

SHEERING Thomas, Private 3315, 7th Gloucestershire Regiment died at Mesopotamia 1st March 1916. Native of St Augustine's Bristol, and is commemorated on a Special Memorial, Suez War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt (CWGC have Shearing)

WALLACE Martin Henry, Private 11285, 7th Somerset Light Infantry, died 19th August 1917. Native of St Stephens Bristol and is buried at Dozinghem Military Cemetery, Belgium

WELSH P (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

WELSH P (Unable to locate the correct record listed with the CWGC)

WELSH ( It may be this soldier) William Patrick, Private 1951, 1/6th Welsh regiment, died of wounds 12th August 1915 age 43. Son of James & Ellen of bristol. Buried at Le Treport Cemetery, France

WOODS Thomas, Private 6923, 1st Somerset Light Infantry killed in action 3rd May 1915. Son of Thomas & Annie. Native of St Augustine's Bristol and is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium

• 2 weeks later...

CHEADLE ST GILES the ABBOT STAFFORDSHIRE (Private family war Memorial)

Compiled with additional information by kind permission of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

This memorial is situated inside on the north wall of Saint Giles the Abbot church, Cheadle, Staffordshire and is dedicated to three grandsons of Charles John and Francis Caroline Blagg

BOWERS, William Aubrey, 2nd Lieutenant 5th North Staffordshire Regiment, died of wounds at Gommecourt 2nd July 1916 aged 29. Son of William E and Alice of Caverswall near Cheadle Staffordshire and husband of Vera Aimee neeLatham also of Caverswall. Buried at Warlincourt Halte cemetery, Saulty, France. His Will. William Aubrey of Caverswall Castle, Staffs, 2nd Lieutenant 5th N.S.R. died 2nd July 1916 at 20. Casualty Clearing Station France. Probate at London 23rd September 1916 to Walter Edward Blagg, Solicitor and Vera Aimee Bowers, widow. Effects £137821.10s

ADDENBROOKE, John Homfray, 2nd Lieutenant North Staffordshire Regiment attached to the 11th Manchester Regiment,(formerly Pte 1196, Royal Fusiliers) killed in action at Beaumont Hamel 23rd November 1916 aged 20. Son of Rev John Gordon and Ethel Warren Addenbrooke of Knebworth, Herts. Buried at Hamel Military Cemetery, Beaumont Hamel, France

http://www.iwm.org.u...bject/205023680

MASEFIELD, Charles John Beech, (Military Cross) Captain, C Coy, 1/5th North Staffordshire Regiment, died of wounds near Lens 2nd July 1917 aged 35. Son of John Richard and Susan and husband of Muriel Agnes of Lee Cottage, Charlbury, Oxfordshire. Native of Cheadle, Staffordshire. Buried at Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez, France

http://www.scuttlebu...m/listbri3.html

http://www.iwm.org.u...bject/205023800

Picture of

2 Lieutenant John Homfray Addenbrooke Here.

Simon

Picture of

2 Lieutenant John Homfray Addenbrooke Here.

Simon

Hi Simon

Thanks for the link . It great when you can put a face to a name.

Llanfoist St Faith Church War Memorial

Monmouthshire

This memorial is dedicated to those who fell and those who returned.

With no disrespect intended I have only listed the fallen

In proud and grateful memory of the men from the parish of

Llanfoist who gave their lives for their country in the

Great War 1914-1918

JONES, Brynley Lewis Captain 3rd Monmouthshire Regiment died of sickness at home 26th December 1918 aged 33. Son of Griffith and Sarah of Llanfoist and husband of Nora Meredith nee Lewes of St Catharine’s Broxbourne, Herts. He is at rest in Abergavenny Cemetery, which is near Llanfoist. His birth name was Brynley.

PAULING (Memorial has PAULINE, G Captain), George Francis, (Military Cross) Lieutenant, 3rd Grenadier Guards Born 23rd January 1895 at Brompton London and was killed in action near Arras, France 25th March 1918 aged 23. he was the son of Henry Richard Clarke and Marguerite Lopez, nee Guibara. He lived at Llanfoist House, Abergavenny and is buried in Cabret Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez, France.

Extract from the Edinburgh Gazette, dated 16th November 1916. (Awarded the Military Cross) for conspicuous gallantry in action. He led his company and formed a strong point on the left flank, displaying great courage and initiative. Later, he maintained himself for 24 hours, causing considerable loss to the enemy until relieved.

IBALL, Ivor John, Sergeant Major 290350, 1/3rd Monmouthshire Regiment died 1st November 1917.

(CWGC have his rank as Colour Sergeant). Buried at St Sever Cemetery Extension, Rouen, France

BOWCOTT, Clifford Owen, Trooper 66, 5th Australian Light Horse who died 5th December 1915. Son of John and Mary of 2 Brecon Road, Abergavenny. Buried in Chatby Military and War Memorial Cemetery, Alexandria, Egypt His brother Frederick, Sergeant 57930, 9th South Wales Borderers also fell 30th May 1918 aged 22. His parents were residing at “Stonesfield”, Monmouth Road, Abergavenny. He is commemorated on the Soissons Memorial, France (I wonder if A D should have been Frederick, From the birth of Alfred he has not appeared any where on the census or having died.

BOWCOTT, A D. Sergeant, Royal Welsh Fusiliers (FreeBMD name is Alfred David born 1896, Abergavenny ( CWGC have no A D Bowcott listed)

JONES, D, Corporal, 4th South Wales Borderers (It may be this soldier)(SDGW) Private, David Jones 11911, 2nd South Wales Borderers who died 10th October 1915 at Gallipoli, Born at Llanover, Blaenavon, Monmouthshire (CWGC) Have him buried in Chatby Military and War Memorial Cemetery, Alexandria, Egypt

PROSSER, Ivor. Private 564333 (not 364333) and formerly 2146. 3/1st Welsh Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps. Enlisted 16th August 1915. Address given as 1. Casaba Terrace, Llanfoist son of Edgar and Mary Annie. Served in the Balkans. Awarded the British War, Victory and Star medals. He died at home from Influenza and phenomia (Additional information from his burnt record)

ASHFIELD, Ralph, (M.M.) Lance Corporal 238048, 9th Duke of Wellington’s West Riding Regiment formerly 2365, Royal Welsh Fusiliers who was killed in action 12th October 1918, aged 21. (FreeBMD C1897, Pontypridd) Buried in Selridge British Cemetery, Montay, France

BOWEN, Thomas James, Sapper 50613, 89th field Coy, Royal Engineers died 30th August 1916 aged 25. Son of William and Annie of Abergavenny, Monmouthshire, South Wales. Buried in Etaples Military Cemetery, France

HOBBS, Geoffrey Harold Chapman, 2nd Lieutenant, 7th Dorset Regiment attached to 6th Somerset Light Infantry who died 16th September 1916. Son of Augustus and May of Highbury, London and husband of Enid of Llanfoist. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

MEREDITH, James, Gunner 16921, Provisional Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery who died 2nd September 1917 aged 35. Son of Henry and Margaret. Native of Llanfoist. Buried in St Woolos Cemetery, Newport Monmouthshire

JENKINS, Alfred Morgan, Private 2161, 3rd Monmouthshire Regiment died 17th June 1915. Native of Abergavenny, Monmouthshire. Buried in Wytschaete Military Cemetery, West Vlannderen, Belgium

JENKINS, Samuel, Private 267753, 2nd Monmouthshire Regiment who died 12th April 1918. Commemorated on the Ploesteert Memorial, Hainaut, Belgium

LILWALL, Alfred Edward, Private 2915, 2nd Monmouthshire regiment died 24th June 1915 aged 19. Son of William and Charlotte of Shobdon Herefordshire. Buried in Etaples Military Cemetery, France

SAUNDERS, J Pte SLI (There is only one J Saunders listed with the CWGC Serving with SLI) I have taken this record as SLI could be (King’s) Shropshire Light Infantry There is no J Saunders and varients serving with the Somerset Light Infantry . Private 6531 John SAUNDERS, 6th King’s Shropshire Light Infantry who died 18th August 1917. He is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial, West Vlannderen, Belgium

WEBB, Albert, Private 2886, 3rd Monmouthshire Regiment died 9th July 1916. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

(MH. I have one brickwall A D BOWCOTT he has gone AWOL)

post-24132-0-45627200-1333264693.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

CARTLAND FAMILY WAR MEMORIAL TEWKESBURY ABBEY, GLOUCESTERSHIRE

This memorial is situated at the main entrance to the grounds of the Abbey.

To the glory of God and in proud memory of

James Bertram Faulkner Cartland, Major 1st Worcestershire Regiment who fell in action 27th May 1918 aged 42 at Berry-au-Bac. Husband of Mary Hamilton of Poolbrook, Worcestershire late of Amerie Court, Pershore. Commemorated on the Soissons Memorial, France.

also in memory of his younger son

James Anthony Hamilton Cartland, Captain 58095, 2nd The Lincolnshire Regiment killed in action near Ypres, 29th May 1940 aged 27. He is buried in Zuidschote Churchyard, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium, his brother Captain John died the following day .

also in memory of his eldest son

John Ronald Hamilton Cartland, M.P., Major 70394, 53rd Worcestershire Yeomanry, Anti Tank Regiment, Royal Artillery who was killed near Cassell 30th May 1940 aged 33. He was Member of Parliament for Kings Norton Division of Birmingham, 1935-1940. Buried at Hotton War cemetery, Luxembourge, Belgium

They were the sons of Major James Bertram Faulkner Cartland who fell in 1918 and Mary Hamilton of Poolbrooke, Worcestershire. Their sister was Barbara Cartland, authoress

post-24132-0-19772500-1334040497.jpg

Memorialhunter

A relative of C Johnson on the Broughton War Memorial has provided some information on this man.

He was Private Civil Johnson (8101) of the 1st Battalion North Staffordshire Regiment who died of wounds on 18 June 1916 and is buried at Bailleul Communal Cemetery Extension.

He was from Fairoak in Staffordshire and arrived in France on 10 September 1914.

A picture of his grave is attached.

Neil

post-719-0-54757300-1334518168.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

CHESTER CATHEDRAL EX-CHORISTERS WAR MEMORIAL WINDOW

CHESTER CATHEDRAL

To the glory of God and in grateful memory of the following Ex-Choristers who gave their lives in the Great Wars

BATEMAN, Cecil Henry, Private 325145, 2/8th Royal Warwickshire Regiment who died 7th September 1917 aged 25. Son of John Henry and Helen of Monachlog Northop, Flintshire. Buried in Oxford Road Cemetery, Belgium

HALLIDAY, John Percy. (He is not listed with the CWGC, and he is not dedicated on the war memorial in Chester Town Hall. The following information is from the Wills and Probate and Medal Card Index found on Ancestry.co.uk. John Percy Halliday, of 38 Newry Park, Chester, Bank Clerk, died 22nd February 1920 at the Royal Infirmary Chester husband of Mary Ann. A medal card found for John P Halliday, Private 221883, Royal Field Artillery

HOWARD, Frank. He is named as Francis Henry HOWARD, Sergeant with the RFA on the war memorial in Chester town hall. Sergeant 41624, 31st Battery, Royal Field Artillery died 15th September 1914. He was the son of Major L Howard, Cheshire Regiment and Mrs L Howard of "Lakesi" Church Road, Hayling, Hants. Native of Portland, Dorsetshire. He is commemorated on the La-Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial, Seine-et-Marne, France

SNELSON, Leonard, Lance Corporal S/3033, 2nd Rifle Brigade died 31st July 1917 aged 26. Son of W Egerton and Elizabeth of 23. Christleton Road, Chester. Commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium

1939-1945

CALVERT, Leslie Douglas, Quartermaster Sergeant, 38466, 30th Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment died 19th September 1944 aged 52. Son of William and Clara and husband of Maud Mary of Hoole Village, Cheshire. Buried in Dely Ibrahim War Cemetery, Algeria

HOWIE, Charles William, Pilot Officer, Air Gunner 77937, 140th squadron, Royal Air Force died 12th July 1940 aged 39. Son of William Orford and Alice Rhoda and husband of Mildred of Margate. Buried in Reichswald Forest War Cemetery, Germany

JACKSON, Samuel Henry, Flight Sergeant, Wireless Operator, Air Gunner 1101252, 102 Squadron, Royal Air Force, died 10th September 1942 aged 22. Son of Joseph and Sarah Ellen of Chester. Buried in Vlissingen Northern cemetery, Flushing, Zeeland, Netherlands

LEDSHAM, Ronald, Sergeant Air Gunner 1535227, 44th Squadron, Royal Air Force 24th October 1918. Son of Thomas William and Jessie Agnes of Little Sutton, Cheshire. Buried in Reichwald Forest War Cemetery, Germany

WOODALL William Valentine (Memorial has Valentine) Sergeant Navigator 1621458, 70th squadron, Royal Air Force died 19th November 1944 aged 25. Son of Robert and Catherine of Pulford, Cheshire. Buried in Belgrade War Cemetery, Serbia

This window is erected by the Chester Cathedral Old Choristers Association

post-24132-0-16361400-1337069132_thumb.j

DIDBROOK WAR MEMORIAL GLOUCESTERSHIRE

Compiled with additional information by kind permission of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission

Located in St George the parish church

He that loseth his life for my sake shall save it. Matthew X39

To the glory of God and in loving memory of

1914-1918

ALCOCK Alfred 2nd Lieut 1st Gloucestershire Regt died 21/8/1916 age 31. Son of Alfred and Mary of Didbrook. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme

BUTTELL William Charles Pte 40959, 10th Lincolnshire Regt died 22/3/1918. Son of John and Ann of Didbrook. Born in 1891. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial, France

CLEMENTS Arthur Pte 7460, 1st Gloucestershire Regt, killed in action on Wednesday 4 November 1914 age 26. Son of John and Emma of Vineyard Street, Winchcomb, husband of Elizabeth of 262 High Street, Cheltenham. Born at Stanton Worcestershire. Commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium.

DOUGHTY Harry Cecil Pte, 203107, 2/4 Royal Berkshire Regt died 1/9/1917. Son of John H and Emily C of Didbrook. Buried in Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium. XVIII.F.7A

GISSING Arthur Leonard Pte 16395 20th Hussars died 26/3/1918 age 23. Son of George and Alice G of Wormington Grange Lodge, Broadway, Worcs. Commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, France

HOLMES William Edgar Pte 16796 Grenadier Guards V.C Son of Mrs E E Holmes of Didbrook. Buried in Carniers Cemetery Extension, France. I.B.3

An extract from "The London Gazette," No. 31082, dated 24th Decmber 1918, records the following:-"For most conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty at Cattenieres on the 9th October1918. Pte. Holmes carried in two men under the most intense fire, and, while he was attending to a third case, he was severely wounded. In spite of this, he continued to carry wounded, and was shortly afterwards again wounded, with fatal results. By his self-sacrifice and disregard of danger he was the means of saving the lives of several of his comrades

HUTCHINSON John Clifford Lieut, 6th, att to the 4th, East Surrey Regt, died 22/3/1918. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial, France

INNES Edward Joseph Pte 2598, 2nd Gloucestershire Regt, killed in action 9 May 1915. Son of Edward J and Sarah J of 22 Foley Street, Ledbury, Hereford. Commemorated on the Le-Touret Memorial, France

JONES Edgar Frederick Pte 24188, 2nd Royal Worcestershire Regt died 24/4/1918 age 29.Husband of Ivy D Jones, nee Holmes of Berkeley House, Berkeley Street, Cheltenham, Glos. Buried in Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, France. IX.A.18

LANCHBURY Wilfred William Pte 242505, 8th Gloucestershire Regt, killed in action on Sunday 18 November 1917 age 36. Son of Robert and Hannah of Toddington, Glos, husband of Laura Ann Wiggett, formerly Lanchbury of Toddington. Commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium

MINCHIN Thomas Henry Pte 23189, 10th Gloucestershire Regt, died of wounds on Monday 24 July 1916. Son of Thomas and Annie of Foley Road Cottages, Hailes parish of St George, Didbrook.. Buried in Puchevillers British Cemetery, France. II.A.26 This memorial has him as Herbert, correct name is Thomas Henry. CWGC listed as being in the 1/4th Glosters

SIMPSON Charles Edward Sapper WR/269551, 116 Rail Co, Royal Engineers died 12/11/1918. Son of Henry and Mary A of Whitehill, Winchcomb, brother of Charles ,John and Wilfred who also fell. Buried in Ramleh War Cemetery, Israel. D.D.38

SIMPSON John Ernest Pte 26647, 7th Gloucestershire Regt, killed in action on Saturday 10 February 1917 at Mesopotamia Son of Henry and Mary A of Winchcomb, and brother of Charles, Thomas and Wilfred who also fell. Buried in Amara War Cemetery, Iraq. XXIX.B. 1/40

SIMPSON Thomas Pte 13309, 10th Gloucestershire Regt, killed in action on Monday 25 September 1916. Son of Henry and Mary A of Whitehill, Winchcomb, Glos and brother of Charles, John and Wilfred who also fell. Buried in Dud Corner Cemetery, Loos, France. V.A.3

SIMPSON Wilfred M Pte CH/21002, H.M.S.Hussar, Royal Marine Light Infantry died 24/10/1918 son of Henry and Mary of Winchcomb and brother of Charles, John, and Thomas who also fell. Buried in Staglieno Cemetery, Genoa, Italy. I.C.31

WRIGHT Denis Frank Cpl 11122, 7th Gloucestershire Regt killed in action on Sunday 8 August 1915 age 26 at Gallipoli. Son of Joseph and Mary of Didbrook. Commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey

WYNNIATT Frank Charles Pte 13301,10th Gloucestershire Regt killed in action Saturday 25 September 1915 age 23. Son of Charles J and Amy of Didbrook. Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, France

1939-1945

SPENCER William Grove Sgt/Air Bomber, 1587146 Royal Air force, died 13/6/1944 age 21. Son of Harry William and Lily of Didbrook Fields. Buried in the churchyard of St George, Didbrook

FENNY BENTLEY– WAR MEMORIAL DERBYSHIRE

Located inside the parish church

To the Glory of God and in Grateful memory of

ALLEN Arthur Private 240734, 2/6th Sherwood Foresters, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment died of wounds 10th April 1917. Buried at Bray Military Cemetery, France

ALLEN Harry Private 301264, 2nd Royal Scots Lothian Regiment killed in action 29th September 1917. Native of Charlesworth Manchester, resident of Ashbourne, Derbyshire and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium

BAKER Herbert, Private 81931 2/8th Sherwood Foresters, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment killed in action 26th September 1917 age 26. Son of Emily of Ivy Cottage, Kniverton, near Ashbourne, Derbyshire. Commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium

MOORSCROFT Frederick, Lance Sergeant 240602 1/6th Sherwood Foresters, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment, killed in action 3rd January 1918, age 22. Son of Thomas & Ellen of Bank House, Parwich, Derbyshire. Native of Tissington, Derbyshire and is buried in Philosophe British Cemetery, Mazingarbe, France

SALT Reginald Harry, Corporal 27865 1st Army Corps, Head Quaters, Royal Engineers, formerly 1506, Sherwood Foresters, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire regiment, died of wounds 18th November 1914 Son of Israel and Emily of Mayfield Road, Ashbourne, Derbyshire. Buried in Abbeville Communal Cemetery, France

WAGSTAFF Thomas, Sergeant 43726, 7th Norfolk Regiment, killed in action 12th October 1916 age 27. Son of James and Charlotte of Fenny Bentley. Buried at Beaulencourt British Cemetery, Ligny-Thilloy, France.

From this parish who gave their lives for, God, King and Country

In the Great War 1914 - 1919

post-24132-0-49432300-1337199499_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm researching E T Crocker (North Nibley) as he appears on a few memorials in West Berks. I thought you would like to know that his name was Edwin Thomas, not Edward.

Phil

www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk

• 3 weeks later...

CROXDEN WAR MEMORIAL

STAFFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND

Located near the entrance to the grounds of St Giles’s parish church of Croxden

On the 11th November 2007 three new names were dedicated to this memorial for the World War 1939-1945

To the glory of god and in proud and loving memory of the men of this parish who gave their lives in the Great War 1914-1918

RUSHTON Arthur Sgt, 6798, 1st north Staffs Regt died 23/5/1915. Son of Mrs M Rushton of Hollington, Staffs. Buried at Ferme Buterne Military Cemetery, Houplines, France. C.14

BELFIELD A R Pte, 33289, 3rd Field Ambulance, Canadian Army medical Corps died 26/9/1916. Buried at Albert Communal Cemetery Extension, France. I.P.59.

WARING Arthur Able Seaman Not listed with the CWGC Additional information 1891 & 1901 Census. Son of Anne of Bitton End, Checkley, Staffs also The National Archives. Arthur Waring, K/7952, born 24 January 1890, birth registed at Uttoxeter

HODKINSON John Edwin Pte 23010, 7th North Staffs Regt,died 12/1/1917 age 35. Son of William & Sarah Ellen of Hollington, Staffs. Buried at Amara War Cemetery, Iraq. XXIV.A.24

TABBERNOR William George Sgt, 390169, London Regiment (Queen Victoria Rifles) died 22/8/1917. Buried at Hanwell Cemetery, Hanwell, City of Westminster

AMOS John William L/Cpl, 96003, 10th Sherwood Foresters, (Notts & Derbt Regt) died 21/3/1918 age 22. Son of Arthur James & Isabella Amos. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial, France

DEACON Ernest Cecil Watson 2nd Lt, 27th Sqdn Royal Air Force and Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry,died 22/4/1918, age 19. Son of the Rev’d Ernest & Gertrude Deacon, of Croxdon Vicarage, Staffs. Buried at Godewaersvelde British Cemetery, France. I.S.15B

PEACH John William Pte 203536, 1st/4th Yorkshire & Lancaster Regt died 29/4/1918 age 36. Son of Philip and Ann of Quarry Bank, Hollington, Staffs. Buried at Arneke British Cemetery, France. II.A.7

HEATON J C Pte, 26/6/1918 Not listed with the CWGC. The nearest name and death year is for this person. Pte J.C. EATON 50379, Canadian Army Medical Corps, died 27/6/1918. Commemorated on the Halifax Memorial, Canada

BURTON Herbert Gnr 476780, Canadian Field Artillery,died 22/1/1919, age 22. Son of John and Selina Burton of Uttoxeter. Buried at Nelson Memorial Park, Canada, Military Plot, B4.G.11

May they rest in peace

The 1939-1945 War

FIELDHOUSE Cyril William Sgt, 1642303, 115 Sqdn, Royal Air Force died 16/6/1944 age 20. Son of Benjamin and Harriet Fieldhouse of Stramshall, Staffs. Commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial, Surrey

SLANEY Charles Austin Pte 5729173, 4th Dorsetshire Regt, died 3/8/1944 age 24. Son of Charles Robert & Beatrice Alice Slaney, husband of Minnie Slaney of Leigh, Staffs. Buried at Tilly-Sur-Seulles War Cemetery, France. XI.C.7

EDWARDS Harry Dvr 14559465, Royal Corps of Signals attached to IV, Indian Corps Signals, died 21/2/1945 age 20. Son of Frank and Lily Beatrice Edwards of Hollington, Staffs. Commemorated on the Rangoon Memorial, Burma

post-24132-0-57616800-1339751487_thumb.j

CROXTON WAR MEMORIAL

STAFFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND

The memorial is located in the churchyard extension of the parish church of St Paul’s.

To the glory of God and in memory of

BARLOW, George Verdon Private 25085, 1st Canadian Machine Gun Corps, killed 28th September 1918 aged 29. Son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Barlow, of Croxton, Staffs, England; husband of Edith Smith (formerly Barlow), of 49, Facer St., St. Catharines, Ontario. Enlisted Aug., 1914. Buried in Bucquoy Road Cemetery, Ficheux, Pas de Calais, France

COOKE, J Unable to find the correct one listed with the CWGC

HILL, John Gunner 123139, Royal Garrison Artillery, died 19th January 1917 aged 22. Son of William and Martha of Villa Farm, Sugnall, Staffordshire. Buried in St Paul’s churchyard extension, Croxton, Staffordshire

HODSON, Henry Private 24895, 8th North Staffordshire Regiment died 10th May 1917 aged 27. Son of Mr G Hodson of Greatwood Heath, Eccleshall, Staffordshire. Buried in Railway Dugouts Burial Ground, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium

PLATT , Ernest Driver 630, 6th Field Coy, Canadian Engineers, died 24th April 1915 aged 23. Buried in St Paul’s churchyard extension, Croxton, Staffordshire

POOLE, James Edgar (It may be this person) Private 15322, 7th South Lancashire Regiment killed in action 5th February 1917. Son of James and Helen of Eccleshall, Staffordshire and husband of Elizabeth Mary nee Lambourne of 16 Hawthorne Avenue, Nantwich, Cheshire. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

SUTTON, Francis James Private 630042, 2/20th London Regiment, formerly Private R 13475, King’s Royal Rifle Corps, killed in action 30th April 1918. Native of Eccleshall and was resident in Croxton, both in Staffordshire. Buried in Jerusalem War Cemetery, Israel and Palestine including Gaza

WHITFIELD, Owen Jack (It may be this person) Memorial has O J, no O J listed with the CWGC. Private 3147, 11th Rifle Brigade, killed in action 3rd September 1916. Native of Market Drayton, Staffordshire. Buried in Guillemont Road Cemetery, Guillemont, Somme, France

Who fell in the Great War 1914-1919

and of

BEVAN, Leslie Thomas Gunner 5059055, 4th Regiment, Royal Horse Artillery, died 20th January 1945 aged 22. Son of Henry and Ethel Mary of Llanelidan, Denbighshire. Buried in Woensel General Cemetery, Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

HUBBARD, Edward George Flight Sergeant, Flight Engineer, 1477239, 97 Squadron, Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve died 17th February 1943 aged 21. Son of john and Katherine Mary of Croxton. Buried in St Paul’s churchyard extension, Croxton, Staffordshire

SMITH, A Unable to find the correct record listed with the CWGC

Who gave their lives in the Second World War 1939-1945

post-24132-0-60897700-1339777764_thumb.j

FENNY BENTLEY– WAR MEMORIAL DERBYSHIRE

Located inside the parish church

To the Glory of God and in Grateful memory of

MOORSCROFT Frederick, Lance Sergeant 240602 1/6th Sherwood Foresters, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment, killed in action 3rd January 1918, age 22. Son of Thomas & Ellen of Bank House, Parwich, Derbyshire. Native of Tissington, Derbyshire and is buried in Philosophe British Cemetery, Mazingarbe, France

In the Great War 1914 - 1919

MOORCROFT on CWGC

Doveridge War Memorial, Derbyshire

The memorial is located inside St Cuthberts the parish church of Doveridge

1914 REMEMBER 1918

BALL William Henry Pte 11508, 7th North Staffs Regt died 8/8/1915. Commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey

BAMFORD Oswald Joseph Capt, 6th North Staffs Regt, died 13/10/1915. Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, France

BLURTON Henry James L/Cpl 240268, 1st North Staffs Regt died 16/10/1918 age 25. Son of Richard & Mary Ann of Fern Lea, Derby Road, Doveridge and brother of Leonard who also fell. Commemorated on the Vis-En-Artois Memorial, France

BLURTON Leonard Herbert Rifleman R/8282, 7th King’s Royal Rifle Corps died 7/8/1915 age 20. Son of Richard & Mary Ann of Fern Lea, Derby Road, Doveridge and brother of Henry who also fell. Buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium

FORD Herbert Pte 3358, 1st Field Ambulance, Royal Army Medical Corps died 23/12/1914 age 27. Son of Thomas & Elizabeth of Brocksford Lodge, Doveridge. Buried at Boulogne Eastern Cemetery, France

GADSBY George Henry Rifleman C/12201 21st King’s Royal Rifle Corps died 19/2/1917. Buried at Lijssenthoek Military Cemetery, Belgium The CWGC have him listed as T.H.Gasby The Medal Index have him as above

GAUNT William Pte 15001, 4th Dragoon Guards (Royal Irish) died 22/3/1918. Commemorated on the Pozieres Memorial, France

LAWLEY John William Sgt 34227, 16th Royal Warwickshire Regt died 23/5/1918 age 37. Son of John William & Dorothy of Abbots Bromley Staffordshire, h/o Bertha Alice, Church Street, Doveridge. Buried at Tannay British Cemetery, Thiennes, France

MOUSLEY William Thomas Pte 200448, 1/4th Northampton Regt died 7/10/1918 age 26. Son of William & Alice of Sand Lane, Doveridge. Buried at North Gate War Cemetery, Baghdad, Iraq

SHIRLEY Ralph Oakley Sgt 30207 King’s Own Royal Lancs Regt died 31/7/1917. Previously served as Pte 10315, Sherwood Foresters Notts & Derby Regt. Commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium

SMITH Arthur George Pte 2121, 1/6th North Staffs Regt, died 13/10/1915 age 21. Son of Arthur & Emma of Main Street, Doveridge. Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, France

WAKEFIELD George Pte 23206, 7th North Staffs Regt died 20/1/1917. Buried at Amara War Cemetery, Iraq

WEST, Arthur,Unable to find the correct one listed with the CWGC.

1911 census have him with his siblings and parents Charles and Annie J at Alms Row, Doveridge. Place of birth given as Doveridge. 1901 census have his place of birth as Alfreton, Derbyshire

WEST, Frederick Arthur, Pte 4413, 24th Sect Army Veterinary Corps, died 13/6/1917. Buried at North Gate War cemetery, Baghdad, Iraq

WHITING William Henry L/Cpl 14096, 7th North Staffs Regt died 23/7/1915 age 22. Son of Henry & Elizabeth of Lower Street, Doveridge. Commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey

WILLIAMSON James Pte 245215, 13th Durham Light Infantry died 20/9/1917 age 41. Son of William & Alice of Cook Lane, Doveridge and husband of Louisa Williamson. Buried at Zantvoorde British Cemetery, Belgium

MIGHTY BY SACRIFICE

W W 2

FALLOWS Edward Peter Ivan Flying Officer, Pilot 152032, Royal Air Force 152032, Royal Air force died 23/12/1943 age 21. Son of Joseph Edward & Constance of Bargate. Buried at St Cuthbert Church Cemetery, Doveridge

FITZPATRICK John Christopher 1575467, 630 Sqdn, Royal Air Force died 18/10/1944 age 20. Son of John & Ellen Frances of Doveridge. Buried at Stonefall Cemetery, Harrogate

GAUNT Cecil Edward Cpl 1226256, Royal Air Force died 16/11/1945 age 32. Son of Horace Edward & Norah Frances of Doveridge. Buried at St Cuthbert Church Cemetery, Doveridge

post-24132-0-70271200-1339857389_thumb.j

DUNSTALL WAR MEMORIAL, STAFFORDSHIRE

The memorial is inside St Mary the parish church

These men died for England

1914-1918

ASPLEY Harry Pte 16897 2ND Lincolnshire Regt died 25/9/1915 age 19. Son of Mr & Mrs William of Wales Lang, Barton under Needwood Staffs. Buried in Brewery Orchard Cemetery Bois-Grenier France III.D.8

BUNTING Herbert 6th Royal Warwickshire Regt The CWGC have him listed in the Army Service Corps, South Midland Div as Pte 489 died 30.4.1916 age 27 son of William & Hannah, husband of Nellie. Buried in St Mary Churchyard, Dunstall, Staffs

HALL Arthur Pte 24023 3rd Grenadier Guards died 4/12/1916. Commemorated at Thiepval Memorial, Somme

HUDSON William George L/Cpl 21136 No 1 Coy, 2nd Grenadier Guards died 27/9/1918 age 24. Son of Henry & Eliza of Dunstall. Buried in Sanders Keep Military Cemetery, Graincourt-Les-Havrincourt France I.C.7

MYATT James Edward 6th North Staffs Regt The CWGC have him listed as Pte 44076 45th Machine Gun Corps (Inf) died 17/9/1916. Buried in Adanac Military Cemetery Miraumont Somme VI.H.4. The other “J” is Pte John A of the 9th N.S.R

WOOLLEY Herbert James Pte 18428 2nd East Yorkshire Regt died 29/9/1915 age 29. Son of James & Frances Annie of Dunstall. And brother of William, killed 1918. Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, France

WOOLLEY William Pte 241404 2/6th North Staffs Regt died 28/3/1918 age 27 Son of Francis Annie of Dunstall and brother of Herbert James killed 1915. Buried in Denain Communal Cemetery France A 52

post-24132-0-90850100-1339877650_thumb.j

Tutbury War Memorial, Staffordshire

Just fyi, we are working on the Tutbury War Memorial with a view to creating a Book of Remembrance in time for Remembrance Day 2012 - the War Memorial List and basic data can be found at www.tutburywarmemorial.org.uk - when completed we will post the list on this website as well

cheers

Oldbloke

EASTINGTON (near Frocester) – WAR MEMORIAL

GLOUCESTERSHIRE

The memorial is located in the churchyard of St Michael and All Angles, Church End, Eastington, near Stonehouse, Gloucestershire England

To the Glory of God and in undying memory of Lt, H. G. De Lisle Bush and Capt J.S.De Bush and other Officers and Men connected with this parish who gave their lives for King and Country in the Great War 1914-1918

1914-1918

ALMOND C [Not one of the original names, only on metal plaque] Unable to find the correct one

BUSH Hugh Godfrey De Lisle M.C, Lt, 3rd Gloucestershire Regt died 13/1/1917. Son of Alfred George De Lisle and Florence Katharine nee Lysaught, 3 Adelphi Sea, Paignton, Devon. Native of Alveston, Glos. Buried in St Michael Churchyard, Eastington Brother of John who fell in 1917 and Claude who fell in 1941

BUSH John Stewart De Lisle Capt, 3rd Somerset Light Infantry and 41st Royal Flying Corps died 25.8.1917 age 21. Son of Alfred George De Lisle and Florence Katharine nee Lysaught of Eastington Park, Eastington and brother of Hugh and Claude. Buried in Honnechy British Cemetery, France. I.A.16

BUTT David [Metal plaque only] Pte 17612, 8th Somerset Light Infantry died 28/4/1917. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial, France

CREED Ernest Lewis Pte 19091, 9th Gloucestershire Regt suffered from illness and died on Wednesday 1/8/1917 in Salonica. Son of Edward Henry and Emma nee Mayo of Thrupp Lane, Thrupp, Glos Lembet Road Military Cemetery, Salonika, Greece

DANIELS E J Pte, Gloucestershire Regt Unable to find the correct one Recheck Glosters site

DAVIS Albert Jesse Pte 23742, 1st Gloucestershire Regt killed in action on Wednesday 11/7/1917 in Belgium. Buried in Ramscappelle Road Military Cemetery, Belgium

DREW William Ernest Pte 24266, 10th Gloucestershire Regt, died of wounds on Tuesday 18/7/1916. Buried in Puchevillers British Cemetery, France. I.E.10

DUXBURY Lawrence On base of this memorial L/Cpl, Gloucestershire Regt, not found on “The Soldiers of Gloucestershire” web site. CWGC have him listed as L/Cpl 44803, 1st Royal Berkshire Regt died 8/10/1918 age 19. Son of Thomas and Mary of The New Inn, Newtown, Stonehouse, Glos. Buried in Noyelles-Sur-L’Escaut Cemetery Extension, Framce II.C.6

HARVEY Henry John Pte, Gloucestershire Regt not found on “The Soldiers of Gloucestershire” web site. CWGC have him listed as Pte 50025, 1st Northamptonshire Regt died 18/4/1918. Son odf Mathew Henry and Agnes Elizabeth nee Ryland of 109 Oxford Road, Gloucester City. Buried in Cambrai Military Cemetery, France.O.6

HOWELL Thomas Albert On base of this memorial Norfolk Regt. CWGC listed as Pte 260068, D Coy, 1/8 Worcestershire Regt, died 27/8/1917 age 19. Son of John Edward and Louisa of Windsor House, Eastington. Buried in Track “X” Cemetery, Belgium located N.E. side of Iper. D.46

HULBERT Robert James L/Cpl 1798. Royal Gloucestershire Hussars died 10/10/1915 age 28. Son of Thomas W and Annie of Claypits Farm, Eastington. Buried in Green Hill Cemetery, Turkey, Special Memorial, C.8

KEENE George Pte 235276, 2/4th Gloucestershire Regt died 31/10/1917 age 25. Son of Leonard and Emily M of The Castle Inn, Eastington brother of Albert who also fell. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial, France

KEENE Albert Edward Pte 15421, 1st Gloucestershire Regt died 9/9/1915 age 21. Son of Leonard and Emily M of The Castle Inn, Eastington brother of George who also fell. Born at Barnsley, Glos. Buried in St Omer Souvenir Cemetery, Longuesse, France II.A.27

LEWIS Thomas Alfred Sgt, 4708 1st Gloucestershire Regt killed in action on Sunday 9/5/1915. Son of Thomas and Mary Ann nee Morgan, of Bath Road, Eastington.. Commemorated on the le Touret Memorial, France

MARLING Herbert Pte 10480, 7th Gloucestershire Regt killed in action on Sunday 8/8/1915 at Gallipoli. Son of George Henry and Emma Sophia nee Saunders of Middle Street, Eastington. Commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey

MORGAN A C [Only on metal plaque] Unable to find the correct one.

REES Walter [Only on metal plaque] Gunner 62963 “X”, 46th T.M.Bty, Royal Garrison Artillery died 19/1/1917 age 29. Son of Horatio and Ellen of Bristol, husband of Amy of Middle Street, Eastington. Buried in St Pol Communal Cemetery, Extension, France. C.20

REYNOLDS S W Pte, Australian Forces [CWGC not listed]

RUCK Harold James L/Sgt 12280, 1st Grenadier Guards died 26/9/1916. Son of William Francis and Clara nee Myatt of Middle Mill, Stroud, Glos and brother of Frank Cyril Pte 21492 1st Glosters who was killed in action on Sunday 20/2/1916 at Arras, France. Harold is buried in Caterpillar Valley Cemetery, Longueval, France XXI.H.1

SHILL Thomas Maurice Cpl 6633, 1st Gloucestershire Regt killed in action on Sunday 7/11/1914.in France (Information from the “Soldiers of Gloucestershire”) Son of James William and Mary L of Middle Street, Eastington Commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium

SILVEY Artemus Pte 241703, 1/5th Gloucestershire Regt killed in action on Thursday 4 10/1917. Son of Daniel and Ruth nee Freeman of Nupend, Eastington. Commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial, Belgium.

SLEEMAN James Pte 2306, 1/5thGloucestershire Regt killed in action on Friday 21/5/1915. Son of James and Elizabeth of carlton House, Southview Road, Portishead, Somerset. Born in Taunton. Buried in Ploegsteert Wood Military Cemetery, Belgium. III.C.9

TUDOR Thomas George Cpl 1827, 2nd Australian Light Railway Operating Company died 26/10/1917. Son of James and Kezia nee Niblett of Clay Pits, Eastington Buried in Voofmezeele Enclosure No1 & 2, Belgium. I.L.35

UNDERWOOD Alfred Maurice Savage Pte 6641, 1st Gloucestershire Regt. Killed in action on Friday 23/10/1914 age 30. Son of John of Westend, Stonehouse and husband of of Mary Louisa Hinder of Gossington, Slimbridge, Glos. Commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial, Ypres, Belgium.

WOTHERS John Pte 15962, 9th Gloucestershire Regt killed in action at Salonica on Monday 25/4/1917 age 24. Son of Richard George and Harriet nee Price of Eastington previously of the village of Harvington, Worcestershire Commemorated on the Doiran Memorial, Greece

YOUNG Gilbert Pte 28072, 4th Kings Liverpool Regt died 23/7/1916 age 34 Son of Henry and Jane of Church End Eastington Buried in St Sever Cemetery, Rouen, France. A.34.7. Served as Watson

Sacred also to the memory of those who fell in the 1939-1945 war

BUSH Claude De Lisle D’Arcy Stratton Major, 144790,Gloucestershire Regt died 22/11941 age 47 Son of Alfred george and Florence Katharine De Lisle Bush, husband of Dorothy Joan of Stonehouse and brother of John and Hugh who fell in the Great War. Buried in St Michaels Churchyard, Eastington.

BARNES Harold Walter Pte 5105225, 8th Warwickshire Regt died 31/12/1945, 39. Son of Walter and Florence, husband of Beatrice Elsie of Eastington. Buried in St Michaels Churchyard, Eastington

COWLEY Cyril Arthur Flight Sgt 639559, Royal Air Force died 30/10/1942. Commemorated on the Alamein Memorial, Egypt

EVERETT Marston John Craftsman 14419649 Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers died 15/7/1944 age 19. Son of John Henry Colman and Constance Mary Everett of Eastington. Buried in St Michael Churchyard, Eastington

KING Ernest John Rifleman 5183793, 9th Cameronians Scottish Rifles died 8/2/1945 age 25. Buried in Reichswald Forest War Cemetery,Germany. 58.C.16

KNIGHT Ernest John W/O, Observer 523537, 521 Sqdn Royal Air Force died 4/10/1942 age 28. Son of Ernest and Beatrice Elsie of Eastington. Buried in St Michael Churchyard, Eastington

WINFIELD Francis Harry Pte 5189351, 12th Gloucestershire Regt attached to the Parachute Regt, Army Air Corps previously 10th Green Howards Yorkshire Regt died 19/8/1944 age 29. Son of Harry and Elizabeth, husband of Peggy of St Pauls, Llanelly, Carmarthenshire. Buried in Putot-En-Auge Churchyard, France Row a Grave 6

post-24132-0-03273800-1339882188_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

Worcester Cathedral Bell Ringers Memorial Window

Erected by the Diocesan Bell Ringers Association in memory of their

Comrades who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 – 1919

Aston, Robert Geoffrey, Private 1949, Warwickshire Yeomanry who died 11/4/1915 aged 22. Son of Enoch James and Marion Ada of Church Lench, Evesham, Worcestershire. Commemorated on the Hollybrook Memorial, Southport, Hampshire

Atkins, Wilfred, Private 16857, Royal Warwickshire regiment who died 28/9/1917. Son of Mr and Mrs A Atkins of Kidderminster, Worcestershire. Buried in Outtersteene Communal Cemetery, Extension, Bailleul, Nord France

Cartwright, Victor, Private 30976, 10th Worcestershire Regiment who died 22/3/1918 aged 19. Son of Mrs A Cartwright of 152 tiverton Road, Bournbrook, Birmingham. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial, Pas de Calais, France

Cook, H W. Unable to find the correct record listed with the CWGC

Cook, Robert, Private 26634, 12th Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry died 10/10/1916 aged 29. Son of Edmund and Elizabeth of 29, Pitmaston Road, St John’s Worcester. Native of High Lane, Worcester. Buried in Meaulte Military cemetery, Somme, France

Frazzel G. (No such surname has been registered with the birth records) (There are only two Frizzel’s listed with the CWGC

It may be this person, it has a Kidderminster connection. Frizzel, Edward George, Private 17428, 4th Worcestershire Regiment, killed in action 4/6/1915 aged 19 at Gallipoli. Native of Lydlinch Dorset, enlisted at Kidderminster. Son of Thomas and Elizabeth of Lydlinch, Sturminster Newton , Dorset

Green, A.F. Unable to find the correct record listed with the CWGC

Hall, Henry William, Sergeant 1204, Queen’s Own Warwickshire Hussars (Worcestershire Hussars) died 23/8/1915. Buried in East Mudros Military Cemetery, Greece

Haynes, Ernest Walter, Lance Corporal 17103, 11th Worcestershire Regiment died 24/4/1917 aged 26. Son of George John and Sarah of 3, Spring Road, Pershore, Worcestershire. Native of Pershore and is commemorated on the Doiran Memorial, Greece.

Hurren, Alfred George, Private 16358, 3rd Coldstream Guards died 30/11/1917 aged 21. Son of Charles and Mary of Yates Hay Road, Malvern, Worcestershire. Commemorated on the Cambrai Memorial, Louverval, Nord France

Ireland, William, Private 15357, 1st Worcestershire Regiment, died 31/1/1915 aged 18. Son of Arthur and Elizabeth of Cropthorne, Pershore, Worcestershire. Commemorated on the Le Touret Memorial, Pas de Calais, France

Irish, Frank, Private 15216, 2nd Worcestershire Regiment died 2/7/1916. Son of Herbert and Emma nee Ivins of Fladbury, Worcestershire. Commemorated on the Loos Memorial, Pas de Calais, France

Jones, William. It may be this soldier. Lance Corporal 5511, 4th Worcestershire Regiment, killed in action at Gallipoli. Native of Malvern, Worcestershire and is commemorated on the Helles Memorial, Turkey

Keys, W. Unable to find a record which may be his, however it may well be this soldier

KEY, Walter, Drivate 47200, 1/4th Northumberland Fusiliers, formerly Sapper 173978, Royal Engineers. died of wounds 4/10/1918 aged 21. Son of Stephen and Hannah of 4, Lombard Street, Stourport, Worcestershire. Enlisted at Kidderminster and is buried in Hochheim Hill Worms Cemetery, Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany

Nash, Hugh Chapman, Private 27429, 9th Worcestershire Regiment died 29/5/1917 in Mesopotamia. Prior to enlistment he worked for his father in their home has a hairdresser (barber). Son of George Henry and Jane of 83, Hagley Road, Oldswinford, Stourport, Worcestershire, Buried in North Gate War Cemetery, Baghdad, Iraq

Need, John, Sergeant 17105, 11th Worcestershire Regiment killed in action between the 24th/25th/4/1917, aged 23 at Salonika. Son of William Thomas and Hannah of Priest Lane, Pershore, Worcestershire. Commemorated on the Doiran Memorial, Greece

Pope, William Tom, Private 30066, 11th Royal Warwickshire Regiment, formerly, Private 27889, Worcestershire Regiment. Son of Thomas and Amelia of Heath Cottage, Longton heath, Upton on Severn, Worcestershire. Buried in Boulogne eastern Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France.

Smith, W. Unable to find the correct record listed with the CWGC

Spalding, Walter, Private 241603, 1/8th Worcestershire Regiment died 6/4/1917 aged 32. Son of Joseph and Rose of Folly Gardens, Stoke Prior, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. Buried in Bray Military Cemetery, Somme, France

Sparrow, Louis Henry, Corporal 20750, 1st Worcestershire Regiment died 22/10/1916 aged 33. Son of Alfred and Lucy of Cothorne, Badsey and husband of Rosina Caroline of 1, South View Terrace, Badsey, Evensham, Worcestershire. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

Warren, (it may be this soldier) Robert Arthur, Gunner 832185, 65th Howitzer Battery, Royal Field Artillery died 18/10/1918 aged 28. Son of William Robert and Harriet, husband of Rosalia nee Cresswell of Grimley, Worcestershire. Buried in Les Baraques Military Cemetery, Sangatte, Pas de Calais, France

Williams, James, Corporal 11044, 5th King’s Shropshire Light Infantry died 16/9/1916 aged 22. Son of James and Letty of Lincombe, Stourport, Worcestershire. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France

Withers, F. Unable to find the correct record listed with the CWGC

post-24132-0-66969700-1341583201_thumb.j

post-24132-0-78269600-1341583253_thumb.j