Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

post-120921-0-23284500-1426169098_thumb.

Battiscombe,

thanks for the reply will have a read of the war diaries tonight.

Hopefully I've managed to attach the photo (William seated).

Judder

Thanks for posting that.. i cant see either of them in my photo,, the closest might be this Corporal.. with similar-ish ears and chin perhaps..?? but I don't think its him

post-7621-0-17319200-1426198821_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

battiscombe,

not sure - it could be though, will ask the relatives to take a look. Do you know when the photo was taken?

Could you post all of it or send me a copy?

There does not appear to be an offensive prior to J B Balls death, but there are 14 deaths on 4th September either RFA or Welsh Guards,

buried at Canada Farm Cemetery. Were the Germans advancing in that area at the time?

Still need to read the war diaries.

Judder.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hmcwilliam

Hi There,

I am researching my Great Grandfather Alfred Humberstone-gunner with the 24th Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery, #14737.

I have very little military knowledge but I have been able to add his civilian details to https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2557460

I have scoured the forum for details of Alfred's unit but I am none the wiser of what he did or where he was.

I would like to take up your kind offer of a look up in the book "With the Heavies in Flanders".

Any clues as to his contribution to the war would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

With kind regards

Heather

Heater: With the Heavies in Flanders does not have an index of names but I have gone through the book page-by-page and have not seen any reference to Gnr Alfred Humberstone. Trying to summarize the locations and actions of the Battery during the Great War would be a rather large task, so hopefully you can find a copy of the book in a library near you.

Guest hmcwilliam

Hi There,

Thanks for your quick reply and also checking the book.

Next step-will be heading to the library.

Thanks again.

Heather

• 4 weeks later...

Stewart: According to the "Narrative of the 5th Divisional Artillery , 1914-18: "Early in April the Division was relieved by the 46th Division, and marched via Renninghelst to Ypres, where they took over the front Hill 60- Polygon Wood from the 28th Division, which side-slipped to the North the artillery taking up positions as follows:

27th Brigade, RFA (right) about Kruistraat

28th Brigade, RFA (centre) about Zillebeke Lake

15th Brigade, RFA (left) East of Ypres

37th and 67th Batteries working with the 27th Division.

The Divisional Artillery Headquarters were with the Division 2 kilometers west or Ypres"

The brigades of the 5th Divisional Artillery remained in these positions through April but by 23 April 1915 (the first day of the Second Battle of Ypres) the Divisional Artillery Headquarters had moved to Renninghelst, out of telephone communications with the brigades.

Regards. Dick Flory

Dick,

I am trying to establish the location of the 5th Division RFA brigades during October & November 1915. My grandfather's unit, 115th Brigade RFA was assigned to 5th Division for instruction. They had arrived in FOUILLOY on 25/9/1915. On 2/10/1915 "115th Brigade moves to 5th Division for instruction - 50 rounds per battery allowed" according to the 26th Division CRA war diary.

I was also wondering whether you could advise whether it is possible to find a list of personnel for his unit, B Battery, 115th Brigade RFA. I've noticed that you have been able to do so for some other batteries.

Andrew

The easiest way may be to locate the 5th Division artillery commander records for this date . this is likely to record this attachment, and which Brigade attached to... .WO95/1521 and following. I think... It is very unlikely to find lists of men in batteries except for regular units in 1914 who have lists [in medal rolls] for each Brigade.

Andrew: From 6-10 August the 5th Divisional Artillery moved to the Somme front and relieved the French 14th Corps in the Mametz-Curlu sector. Divisional Artillery HQs was at Etinehem. The history of the divisional artillery mentions no other movement until 20 January 1916 when the unit went into a rest area at Bussy and St. Gratien.

I am not aware of any nominal roll for the divisional artillery. The history noted earlier has a roll of all of the officers (by battery) who served with the 5th Divisional Artillery.

Dick Flory

Hi Dick,

One of the men from my local memorial was Gunner 108053 Herbert Sutcliffe, who served with 200th Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery. He had only been over in France for about 5 weeks, when he was killed by a shell on Tuesday 6th February 1917.

Please could i kindly trouble you to see if there was anything mentioned for that day & if possible any background regarding the Battery & in particular the five weeks during his short time in France.

In the Newspaper obituary it prints a letter from his Commanding Officer H. Laburn, do you have any details of this officer or maybe a picture?

As ever, i am grateful for your time and research.

Thanks

Chad

Hi Dick/Chad

If you have any information about 200th siege Battery RGA I'd be incredibly grateful. My Great grandad belonged to this. He died 19th October 1918 and I'd buried in Saint Aubert. Any info or photos would be fantastic.

Many thanks

Jon

Jon: Unfortunately the war diary of 200th Siege Battery, RGA only goes through February 1918. The Battery was serving under 5th Brigade, RGA in October 1918 and the war diary of that unit might have something on his death. It can be found at The National Archives under WO 95/455.

Chad: Soldiers Died in the Great War (the book) indicates that Gnr Herbert Sutcliffe was kia on 8 February 1917 rather than on the 6th. The war diary of 200th Siege Battery, RGA does not give anything on casualties for either the 6th or 8th of February 1917 - for each of these days it only shows the number of rounds fired and the targets. I can find no RGA officer with the name H. Laburn.

• 3 months later...

Hi - does anyone have any information about 33 Brigade RFA who were part of the 8th Division. In particular I am very interested in 36 Battery, but any information welcome.

In terms of 36 Battery, my research indicated they were all KIA OPon 21 July 1917 (my great grand uncle amongst the casualties).

Many thanks

Hi,

Would it be possible to find out a little more information about A Battery, 160th Brigade? For instance, what artillery they were using. I am researching Gunner Charles Bennett #153753 who died with them on 23/10/17 and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial. I have read the war diary for October 1917, but it doesn't seem to differentiate between batteries. Bennett was the only man to die from A Battery on the 23rd October.

Thanks,

Kathryn

If you have read the war diaries there is not likely to be other information available. The Divisional artillery commander diaries may include bits of information and report from the various artillery units.. but tends to deal with 'higher-level' activities.. 'A Battery' would have been a 6 gun 18 pounder battery by that time, although quite possibly not up to strength.. It may be possible to spot when they took up positions, and when they vacated them.. which may be some weeks either side of that particular date.. and there may well be maps showing battery positions..in the diary 'appendices..'

Kathryn wrote: "Would it be possible to find out a little more information about A Battery, 160th Brigade? For instance, what artillery they were using. I am researching Gunner Charles Bennett #153753 who died with them on 23/10/17 and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial. I have read the war diary for October 1917, but it doesn't seem to differentiate between batteries. Bennett was the only man to die from A Battery on the 23rd October."

The History of the Locally Raised 160th (Wearside) Brigade Royal Field Artillery indicates that on 22 and 23 October 1917 160th Brigade, RFA were supporting the attack of the 35th Division in the vicinity of Houthhoulst Forest.

Idle and Dissolute: The History of the 160th (Wearside) Brigade Royal Field Artillery by Philip William Adams gives the following information:

153753 Gnr Charles Bennett was born in 1879 at North Nibley, Wotton-under-Edge, Glos. He was the son of Charles and Louisa Bennett and the husband of Ethel M. Bennett. While Bennet was the only man killed that day, Gnr Thomas Simpson of A/160 was mortally wounded.

If you wish to learn more about 160th Brigade, RFA you might want to purchase a copy of Idle and Dissolute: The History of the 160th (Wearside) Brigade Royal Field Artillery which was published in 2013. Phil Adams may well have a few copies left. If you are interested in purchasing a copy, PM me and I will give you his email and phone number. It is a very detailed history of the brigade, 411 pages long. There is a map of the Brigade position for 22 October 1917.

Dick Flory

c17hux wrote: "I'm looking for info on the 250 siege battery. My grandfather Edmund Frank Huxtable served with them. It appears that his war records list his name as Edward Frank Huxtable. # 77918. Rank corporal. He was born in 1897 in Easingwold, Yorkshire."

There is a 14-page manuscript history of the battery titled History of 250 Siege Battery, RGA it does not mention Huxtable as being wounded, killed or receiving an award. The war diary for 250th Siege Battery, RGA for the period December 1916 to January 1918 is available at The National Archives under WO 95/ 250. It is unlikely that Huxtable will be mentioned by name but it will give information on the positions of the battery and its daily activities.

Dick Flory

c17hux wrote: "I'm looking for info on the 250 siege battery. My grandfather Edmund Frank Huxtable served with them. It appears that his war records list his name as Edward Frank Huxtable. # 77918. Rank corporal. He was born in 1897 in Easingwold, Yorkshire."

There is a 14-page manuscript history of the battery titled History of 250 Siege Battery, RGA it does not mention Huxtable as being wounded, killed or receiving an award. The war diary for 250th Siege Battery, RGA for the period December 1916 to January 1918 is available at The National Archives under WO 95/ 250. It is unlikely that Huxtable will be mentioned by name but it will give information on the positions of the battery and its daily activities.

Dick Flory

Thank you so much.

• 6 months later...

Hello Dick, I hope your kind offer still stands after all this time. My grandfather: Sergeant Jeremiah O'Sullivan (reg no: 8859) (1895-1955) served in the 81st Siege Battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery. The Gazette show that he was awarded the Military Medal on the 16th November, 1916. He died when I was 5; and, in any case, I am told that he never spoke about his service in the British Army. I wonder if the History of 81 Siege Battery, RGA has any information about what the battery was engaged in on the 16/11/1916 ?

Hello Dick, I hope your kind offer still stands after all this time. My grandfather: Sergeant Jeremiah O'Sullivan (reg no: 8859) (1895-1955) served in the 81st Siege Battery of the Royal Garrison Artillery. The Gazette show that he was awarded the Military Medal on the 16th November, 1916. He died when I was 5; and, in any case, I am told that he never spoke about his service in the British Army. I wonder if the History of 81 Siege Battery, RGA has any information about what the battery was engaged in on the 16/11/1916 ?

I think you may find that 8859 was John O'Sullivan. The number implies an enlistment during 1895 or 1901.

Do you have your grandfathers medals, or any other documentation that may help to identify his service number and military career?

Kevin

History of 81 Siege Battery, RGA indicates that Sergt. Huggins and Sergt. Sullivan received the MM "for extinguishing cartridges" during the operations around Vimy Ridge from March 20th to June 14th 1916. The war diary unfortunately mentions very few names other than the commanding officer. I am quite sure that the "Sullivan" mentioned in the unit history is 8859 Sjt J O'Sullivan as the MM for 11404 Sjt A Huggins was mentioned in the same Gazette. That said, like kevrow, I am not convinced that 8859 Sjt Sullivan is your grandfather as the Medal Index Card indicates that the man who received the MM is 8859 Sjt (later BQMS) John O'Sullivan, RGA.

Dick Flory

Yes, I am now certain that my grandfather did not serve with 81. My thanks for your replies; and my apologies for unintended misinformation.

Regards

Jim Buck

• 3 months later...