Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Artillery Unit Histories

rflory

On 23/02/2009 at 18:01, ronrumbol said:

Hi Dick,

My Father was in the 122nd Seige Battery which I think was attached to the 66th Bde from December 1916.

Unfortunately his service record was destroyed in the WW2 blitz and I wish to find out his movements possibly through the movements of the 122nd Seige Battery. Can you help at all please?

Best regards,

Ron Rumbol.

Ron - I have sent you a PM regarding your query. Colin M.

On 24/01/2010 at 20:13, g0bby-1 said:

Dick,

I am hoping that you can help me with some information reference 122nd Siege Battery, RGA. A relative of mine served with them until he was killed 05/03/1918. He was a/sgt Thomas William Montford 374240. He is buried at Montescourt-Lizerolles Communial cemetery.

I know nothing about the Battery, Brigade or Army group they were with, other than they have had something to do with Sussex fortress RGA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, when it is convienient.

Thanks,

Dale.

Dale - I have sent you a PM regarding your query. Colin M.

On 19/04/2020 at 20:00, David Porter said:

Welcome to the Forum Anthony,

There is very good news regarding his service record.

It has been retained and available to view at the National Archives at Kew.

Reference WO 339/8520 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1062458

As you may know, the NA is currently closed but @rflory may be able to give an outline of his service.

Many thanks

On 20/04/2020 at 19:32, David Porter said:

Anthony,

A little more digging has revealed he was commissioned in the Northumberland Artillery Militia on April 7, 1906 as 2nd Lt.

At the outbreak of war he is a farmer in New Zealand and joins the Wellington Infantry Regiment. His service with them is online.

There are 16 pages here - https://discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/records/610159/1

You will see he is in Egypt from December 1914 to June 1915 before transfer to RFA.

It also says (on page 16) "Granted Imperial Commn. while N.Z. Division was in Zeitoun, Egypt"

A long shot, but there is a Medal Index Card for a Lt. H. T. Ward of 60th BAC and D/58 with Egypt date of entry as October 14, 1915.

EDIT: Bingo - he is listed here - https://58fab.com/personnel/

Many thanks for your kind search - it was the only information I could find on him prior to joining the RFA about which you have supplied so much info - thanks

On 30/08/2020 at 23:47, David26 said:

@Awardie With many apologies for only just spotting this, and with huge thanks as ever to @David Porter, the site David pointed to you (58fab.com) is mine. 

As Harold's son, please do let me know if there are any further details about your father which you would be happy to share, or any inaccuracies you think may have inadvertently crept in to my summary of his life.  

If you would like to get in touch, my email address is 58thbderfa@gmail.com.

All best wishes,

David.

You have been so much help thanks

Ron Rumbol wrote: "My Father was in the 122nd Seige Battery which I think was attached to the 66th Bde from December 1916.

Unfortunately his service record was destroyed in the WW2 blitz and I wish to find out his movements possibly through the movements of the 122nd Seige Battery. Can you help at all please?"

Ron:  The best source of information would be to obtain the war diary of 122nd Siege Battery, RGA for the period August 1917 to January 1918.  It can be downloaded from The National Archives website for £3.50 (or if you register and sign in it is free).  The war diary can be found at:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/44451f5ae91045308930773aa9fb5e9f

On 20/04/2020 at 14:46, rflory said:

Anthony:  He is not listed in the 29th Divisional Artillery War Record and Honours Book and I do not have anything about him in my RA officer's database.  The Monthly Army List, November 1918 shows him as a Temp. Lieut., RFA (formerly Special Reserve).  Do you have any information on his units and any public schools he attended?

Dick Flory

Hi Dick - I bought the book and could not find him either. Since then David has found him in the 58 & 59 RFA attached to 11 (northern) Divsion - a great breakthrough. Do you have any info on either of those brigades?

Many thanks

Anthony

Anthony:  Lieut. Harold Towry Ward is mentioned numerous times in the war diary of 58th Brigade RFA during the period December 1917 to January 1919. 

Regards, Dick Flory

13 hours ago, rflory said:

Anthony:  Lieut. Harold Towry Ward is mentioned numerous times in the war diary of 58th Brigade RFA during the period December 1917 to January 1919. 

Regards, Dick Flory

Dick - thanks for that info - any specific dates rather than poring through years of diaries?

Kind regards

Anthony

Anthony:  I do not wish to be rude but it is your research. I have given you the range of dates (December 1917 to January 1919) that his name appears in the war diary (based on listings for Lieut. Ward in a database that I have), I do not think it is too much to ask you to do the actually searching of the war diaries. Digital copies of the brigade's war diary are downloadable on The National Archives website under WO 95/1801.

Kind regards, Dick Flory

Anthony,

in the biography I previously sent you of your father's service, nearly all of the dates mentioned between 18 June 1917 and 19 March 1919 are, if memory serves, from the 58 Bde war diaries.

Kind regards,

David

44 minutes ago, David26 said:

Anthony,

in the biography I previously sent you of your father's service, nearly all of the dates mentioned between 18 June 1917 and 19 March 1919 are, if memory serves, from the 58 Bde war diaries.

Kind regards,

David

Thanks David

56 minutes ago, rflory said:

Anthony:  I do not wish to be rude but it is your research. I have given you the range of dates (December 1917 to January 1919) that his name appears in the war diary (based on listings for Lieut. Ward in a database that I have), I do not think it is too much to ask you to do the actually searching of the war diaries. Digital copies of the brigade's war diary are downloadable on The National Archives website under WO 95/1801.

Kind regards, Dick Flory

Thanks Dick

Hi Dick,

I'm looking for some help. I've been trying to check my grandfathers service at Gallipoli. Unfortunately he seems to have been deployed with another unit. He was a Territorial in the RFA. His battery was 1/1 or 2/1 Ayrshire RFA he was from Kilmarnock in Ayrshire. His record clearly state that he was part of 52nd Lowland and later returned to 52nd Lowland in Egypt. In between he landed at Cape Helles but I'm trying to check if the regimental diaries tell me what unit he was attached to at Gallipoli. this would allow me perhaps to trace the appropraite information at Kew.

Any help greatly received

Thanks

John.

46 minutes ago, John Flynn said:

Hi Dick,

I'm looking for some help. I've been trying to check my grandfathers service at Gallipoli. Unfortunately he seems to have been deployed with another unit. He was a Territorial in the RFA. His battery was 1/1 or 2/1 Ayrshire RFA he was from Kilmarnock in Ayrshire. His record clearly state that he was part of 52nd Lowland and later returned to 52nd Lowland in Egypt. In between he landed at Cape Helles but I'm trying to check if the regimental diaries tell me what unit he was attached to at Gallipoli. this would allow me perhaps to trace the appropraite information at Kew.

Any help greatly received

Thanks

John.

John,

In the other thread in which you posted, David Porter pointed out that your grandfather was serving in 52nd Division Ammunition Column when he sailed from Egypt to Cape Helles. 

David.

John Flynn wrote: "I'm looking for some help. I've been trying to check my grandfathers service at Gallipoli. Unfortunately he seems to have been deployed with another unit. He was a Territorial in the RFA. His battery was 1/1 or 2/1 Ayrshire RFA he was from Kilmarnock in Ayrshire. His record clearly state that he was part of 52nd Lowland and later returned to 52nd Lowland in Egypt. In between he landed at Cape Helles but I'm trying to check if the regimental diaries tell me what unit he was attached to at Gallipoli. this would allow me perhaps to trace the appropraite information at Kew."

John:  It would be much easier to assist you if we knew your grandfather's name!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rflory,

I appreciate this is an old link but I am trying to find one of the documents you mentioned.

Roll of Honour and Casualties and List of Officers who have served with 75th Brigade, RFA, 24

Posted in January 2004.  I am looking for reference to my Great Grandfather who served with the 75th Brigade and was gassed.  He was Gunner Walter Thorpe.  Would it be possible to see if a reference is made.

Kind regards

Ian Osborne

• 3 months later...

Good evening. 

I was wondering if you could assist with any info relating to the 19th Seige Battery RGA please? More specifically around the 22nd September 1918 as this was when a chap I’m looking into was wounded in the head serving with them. 

Thanks 

Shane

Hi Chris. 

Thank you for your time. I do have an account and have taken advantage of the free downloads at TNA. I do struggle to locate some of these War Diaries though, maybe it doesn’t help that I was spelling Siege incorrectly :wacko:. That link is a huge help.

Take care 

Shane 

• 3 months later...

I am trying to find out on where/when a relative of mine was in combat that led to his MM award in August 1918 

He was driver Albert Edward Blinco 66358 

Information I have

Awarded Military Medal, gazetted in The Times Aug 7th 1918, Page 4 as AE Blinco RHA (Langley). The RFA records mention that Albert was severely wounded by a Gas Shell. The action that gained him the MM may be related to the same time of wounding and given the timing possibly in the German Spring Offensive when many Artillery guns were overrun.

15th Aug. Battle of Amiens. Albert Blinco ‘C’ Coy 5th Bde. RHA. Admitted from a Casualty Clearing Station to 51st Field Ambulance (17th Div.) with Gas shell wounds and on the same day transferred to another hospital facility.

Does your war diaries etc have any indication of where and when the action was please

Many Thanks

4 minutes ago, oxlade134 said:

He was driver Albert Edward Blinco 66358 

Information I have

Awarded Military Medal, gazetted in The Times Aug 7th 1918, Page 4 as AE Blinco RHA (Langley). The RFA records mention that Albert was severely wounded by a Gas Shell. The action that gained him the MM may be related to the same time of wounding and given the timing possibly in the German Spring Offensive when many Artillery guns were overrun.

15th Aug. Battle of Amiens. Albert Blinco ‘C’ Coy 5th Bde. RHA. Admitted from a Casualty Clearing Station to 51st Field Ambulance (17th Div.) with Gas shell wounds and on the same day transferred to another hospital facility.

His MM card has him down as a Driver with  'O' Bty RHA.

Yes your correct my notes misleading. The order of events a MM award for earlier action with Q battery and then wounding gas shell Amiens with C coy

On 22/10/2021 at 11:46, oxlade134 said:

Yes your correct my notes misleading. The order of events a MM award for earlier action with Q battery and then wounding gas shell Amiens with C coy

Rephrase my question to be clearer. I am looking for war diary entries for 5th Bde RHA at Amiens August 1918 specifically any gas shelling early in the month.

11 hours ago, clk said:

Hi oxlade134,

This might be the one that you're after - link.

Regards
Chris

Thanks Chris!