Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This KRRC officer saved my father's life

annestormont

What a wonderful thread, I was compelled to read the whole thing! I only stumbled across it today when checking to see if anything came up about 11th KRRC. My great-uncle Laurence Duxbury was part of the regiment and died of wounds 22/9/17. I wonder if you have seen the photo on Paul Reeds (11th Kings Royal Rifle Battalion photos) thread - there is an officer on the front row that resembles Eric?

Remembering all those who gave their lives.

Gamakly

No, I hadn't seen Paul's photograph until I saw your entry this morning - I've spent a while looking at his photo and mine.

Which one do you think is Eric? I can't be sure myself.

Special day today - I'll never forget Eric - thank you for my life. Anne

• 2 months later...
No, I hadn't seen Paul's photograph until I saw your entry this morning - I've spent a while looking at his photo and mine.

Which one do you think is Eric? I can't be sure myself.

Special day today - I'll never forget Eric - thank you for my life. Anne

Every so often I come back to this site, just to read through once again the story of Eric. Every time I do I am humbled

and deeply moved by all that happened, all the people who so willingly got involved - and the outcome. I carry the Maggs

family with me as part of my family. Anne

• Admin

I was able to visit Erics grave last September and spend a few minutes with him, and let Anne have a photograph of his headstone.

Michelle

Before I moved to France in 2002 there was a James Maggs who was a member of the Merseyside Branch of W.F.A.

I don't know whether he is still a member but it would be worth enquiring.

Regards

Gill

• 5 months later...

Its nearly that time again, 20th August, to remember Eric William Bristowe Maggs - not that I don't think of him often

anyway.

I haven't searched anymore for family for him - decided to let it rest - he belongs to my family n ow, and to this

forum. I shall put his 'In Memorium' in The Times as usual - and feel comforted that some folks on this site will give him a thought on his special day

Thanks to all who share in his story, and mine. Anne Stormont.

I note it is some three years since you began your searches on here. Time slips past us all. I also looked back in the thread to these August days of 2006 and note that it was around the anniverasry of his death that the name of Eric Maggs became the 'prime candidate' in your efforts to track down the identity of the man in your photo. Almost as if he was wanting to be 'found' and remembered.

It's been a pleasure to read this thread through again. It all began with nothing more than a photogaph!

Inspirational thread. I will come back and read this whenever my research stalls.

The wife's gone out so thought I'd have a scout around some old threads I hadn't looked at for ages. Just as well she was out - she'd wonder what was wrong with me blowing my nose all the time.

Glad I'm not the only one to need the Kleenex!

I hadn't come across this thread before, but have now read it all.

What a wonderful thread!

On Friday week, I too will think of, and remember, 2/Lt Maggs.

Bruce

Like a few of the last replies, first time I have seen this thread, very moving and a fantastic story, and I'll remember 2/Lt. Maggs next Thursday

Another year has passed and once again I bring you, Eric William Bristowe Maggs, to the front of my memory.

I shall hold you in my mind all day in gratitude for the great gift you gave when you gave your life so that my

father might have life. Anne

What a marvelous story! Absolutely fantastic!

Haven't encountered this thread previously, but it has kept me reading for well over an hour now. Am amazed at the kindness, determination and knowledge exhibited by all of Anne's helpers in this saga.

My own grandfather's savior survived the war - and yes, we have a brace of pictures of him. He did, not by taking a bullet or shell, but by transferring my grandfather from his battery to brigade headquarters after he'd been gassed twice and blown up twice. We are all very fortunate.

Great story, Anne.

George

• 1 month later...

As Classic Threads go, this is the best. Anne, thanks for putting this to the members here, and a huge thank you to those members of this forum for helping Anne to solve this puzzle. The most uplifting internet story I've read. Contributors : You should all be very proud.

yours ay

Clark

• 2 weeks later...

wow!!

Just stopped work to eat my sandwich and have a flick through the forum as i do each lunchtime at work, for some reason this thread had completely passed me by until today.. from page 1 i have been glued to my screen, my lunch was finished a log time ago and my eyes have been wiped more than once.... what a truly amazing thread... firstly to Anne i have to say how amazing your dedication to finding out who this person in the faded old picture was and what a wonderful wonderful thought to place the 'in memoriam' message each year into the times as his father did (this was just one of the points where i had to wipe my eyes and just check noone was going to walk through the door into my room), and secondly to everyone on the forum that got involved in helping Anne eventually discover who this person was what amazing work you have all done.. the forum once again has done fantastic work!!

Pats on the back all round!!!!!

right... i really must do some work now.

• 2 months later...

Every so often I come back to read this story - -not just because its mine but because it give me such a good feeling

about people. So I thought I would just add bit and bring it to the top of the page - so that other folk might read it and see just how exceptional this web site is.

Thank you all once again. Anne

• 7 months later...

Its four years since I first came to this site and the story of Eric William Bristowe Maggs began to

unfold in such a wonderful way. Its almost 20th August and I have just put his In memorium in

The Times yet again - just to say thank you and to acknowledge the huge price this young man paid when he gave

his life. I am so grateful.

Greetings too to all those good people on this site who found Eric and brought his story to life so wonderfully.

I hope people are still reading it! Anne Stormont

Anne.

We certainly are and you will not be alone in remembering Eric on Friday.

Best wishes.

Neil

Just found this thread and it truly is one of the most inspirational and emotional threads I have read.

Anne and the wonderful people of this forum have ensured that many will continue to remember and honour Eric William Bristowe Maggs on this day :poppy:

Thank you

Sharon

Just found this thread and it truly is one of the most inspirational and emotional threads I have read.

Anne and the wonderful people of this forum have ensured that many will continue to remember and honour Eric William Bristowe Maggs on this day :poppy:

Thank you

Sharon

Thank you for all your comments. They are appreciated. Today is Eric's day - when I try to keep him in my mind as much as I can. Its great to know others do too. Anne