Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This KRRC officer saved my father's life

annestormont

It's that time once again and I have just put Eric's In Memorium in The Times. Hard to believe it's

four years since we discovered the identity of the young man in the photograph - wasn't that an amasing

journey?

Next Saturday 20th August will be Eric's anniversary.

Jesus said "Greater love hath no man than this; that a man lay down his life for his friends" (John 15.13)

Please remember Eric next Saturday - and all the many others who did just as Jesus said - and did.

Anne

Just read the whole thread, absolutely fascinating.

I shall think of Eric Maggs next Saturday when I am watching the play, Journeys End.

Al

Amazing thread. The GWF at its best :thumbsup:

Well done to all involved.

John

Eric William Bristowe Maggs killed in action nr Lens 20th August 1918

Remembering you especially today Eric with such gratitude. You gave your life without knowing how great

a gift you gave - not just to the young lad whose life you saved and who later became my father, but to all

his decendants.

Your memorium is in The Times today - just as your father used to do it. I shall continue to enter it until

I am no more - then my eldest son will do it.

Anne Stormont

A moving story that underlines our need to remember the sacrifice of so many in circumstances that most of us, thank God, can only imagine.

This is the first time I've seen this thread and I found myself getting very emotional.

Well done to everyone who was originally involved and well done Anne for keeping his memory alive.

As a side note, the majority of officers service papers are available at the National Archives. There are plenty of researchers out there who will be able to obtain copies for a small fee. (About £5.00 plus the price of photocopies) I have various officer papers and the amount of detail in them is fantastic. It gives the parents details, occupation, enlistment details, when and where any wounds were sustained, nature of wounds/illnesses etc), plus more.

A possible route to maybe learn more about Eric Maggs.

RIP Eric Maggs :poppy:

Neil

This thread has been on my mind since first reading it a couple of hours ago.

I wonder if Eric Maggs stepped infront of your father just before 'going over the top'. That would explain 'taking your fathers place'. I'd imagine the officers to be busy here, there and everywhere just before an attack talking to their men etc before actually getting in place to go over. They did actually lead their men over though so I suppose this is quite feasible.

Neil

Neil, thank you for your comments. I had wondered about Eric's records but thought I wouldn't be able

to access them - not being a member of his family. I shall certainly see if I can get them - he is so important

me. I'm glad you have read the 'story' - it was so wonderful the way folk on this site guided and encouraged

me right up to the day I was able to confirm for sure that Eric was the right man.

I hope other people read it too! Best wishes Anne Stormont

Well done Anne. The continued commemoration in the Times is a real credit to you. He and his family would be very touched by what you are doing. That the GWF was able to help in this matter just on it's own justifys the existence of this Forum

Neil

• 2 months later...

Well done Anne. The continued commemoration in the Times is a real credit to you. He and his family would be very touched by what you are doing. That the GWF was able to help in this matter just on it's own justifys the existence of this Forum

Neil

Anne,

fabulous and fascinating story - i haven't read the whole thread - if you're interested Eric left a will...to William Adolphus Maggs, a physician. Residence of Erics at time of his death was Wimpole St.

Probably a lot more about his family on the censuses.

Josturm

• 2 months later...

This has been a long-running post, with a remarkable outcome - but I am not sure if anyone posted the 11/KRRC account, once he was identified - apologies if I have missed it and I am repeating an old post...

Simply:- "On the 21st unfortunately one of our patrols was cut off by a strong party of the enemy, and the officer in command, 2nd Lieut. E. W. B. Maggs, was killed; his body was brought in and buried at Souchez" KRRC Chronicle 1918.

as noted previously, University College Oxford 1913 to study medicine - then :- Jan 1915 gained temporary commission in KRRC and served with 13th Bn. Resigned his commission in October 1915 and served for 2 years in the H.A.C. - being wounded twice. After passing through a Cadet School in 1917 he again obtained a temporary commission in the regiment and served with the 8th Bn, being also attached to the 11th Bn.

His obituary goes on:.. "Maggs possessed one of the gods' best gifts in that nothing seemed to upset his cheerful nature; in the front line amidst the worst surroundings he was cheerier than ever, and he imparted his spirit to the men of his platoon, one of whom writes: 'He was to us an officer and a friend indeed .. and we miss him sorely. His life and character was an inspiration to us all in the daily call of duty out here'.

Maggs in mentioned in leading a raid 22/23rd July with Lt Arnold... around Salary Trench, Avion Sector, where the 11/KRRC also made raids the week after his death - so that may well have been the same area where his patrol was cut off...

What a fantastic read, one nameless photo out of thousands that now has a name.

2nd Lieut Eric W. B. Maggs.

Rest in Peace

• 2 months later...
Guest oddball123

QUOTE (ian turner @ Aug 2 2006, 02:51 PM) Maybe that narrows it down from say 4 April (his joining the Bn) and until 20 April; or October until 23rd of that month when admitted to hopsital (? 'flu). Still a bit of a needle and haystack job though!

4th-20th April 1918 throws up 7 names in 'Officer's Died' of whom one is a Captain. Of the Lt's, one died in German hands, one 'died', three died of wounds. The only KIA is 2 Lt Frederick Bernard Holborow of the 16th Battalion.

The DOW are: Hubert Arthur Cram, Bernard Hodges and Harold Joseph Shaw.

However, none of the above are 11 KRRC. Cram is the only for whom the battalion is not shown.

Hello Hubert Arthur Cram was Mortally wounded on Mount Kemmel 16th April 1918 he was commissioned to Kings Royal Rifle Corps (16th battn) if you need any further info on Hubert I have a printed "Printed for private circulation only" date of the forward 21.2.19. It is a document of his poems that he wrote on active service which only came to light as they were taken from his pockets after death. If anyone would like any further info on Hubert please get in touch.

• 4 months later...

Where ever has this year gone....once again its time to remember Eric, the brave officer who gave his life so my father might live. His anniversary is on Monday 20th August and as usual I have put his

In Memoriam in The Times.

If you haven't read Eric's story please do........if you have, please join me on Monday in remembering a brave young man who gave all.

Anne

Guest MandyNoss

Hi Anne

I have read the thread and have been amazed, very emotional and so very proud of you for doing this for our family.

This man so brave to save my Grandad's life.

Without such a person, I would not be here writing this.

Thank you to all those who have helped Anne in her perserverance - what a wonderful site.

I too, will be remembering this brave young man who gave all.

Mandy

In the six years (I almost can't believe that) since this topic started there have been some Family Trees added on Ancestry that have Eric William Bristowe Maggs on them - two public trees and two private trees. How close a relative the people are who have posted these are I don't know...

Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks for the comments re family trees. I have persued all of them, well almost - one of the private trees is mine because in the early days when no one

seemed to own him I took him onto my tree. The others, well one I contacted quite recently and they have not responded. Another one took so long to reply

I wrote a second time and asked if he was interested at all. He replied he didn't have much of a link but would like to know the story - guess I was a bit rude as I

suggested he find the 1914-18 website and ready it for himself!

I too find it hard to believe six years have passed. Best wishes Anne

• Admin

I remember the beautiful September day I went into the Sucrerie Cemetery to pay my respects to Eric Maggs. I will be thinking of him on Monday.

Michelle

I'm hoping more folk will remember Eric and this story. Even though six years have passed it's as real and fresh to me as the day I put Eric's photo on thi site and asked who he was!

What an amazing result. Real thanks to all those who took part in the search so we can remember him tomorrow with pride and gratitude. Anne

Eric, thank you for today. It doen't matter how long ago it was the fact remains that had you not stepped forward and said "Wait, I'll go" I would n ot be sitting here now, nor would many others be enjoying

a rich and happy life.

God bless you Eric William Bristowe Maggs taken home today 20th August 1918.