Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This KRRC officer saved my father's life

annestormont

I really must emphasis that the great result is solely due to this wonderful forum and its caring members - I simply did as I was told!

I have a church house group meet here every Thursday. Tonight we meet for the first time after our summer break - they think they are going to get a bible study!! They are going to hear about Eric William - because I am so thrilled about it all, but also because the bible says

"Greater love hath no man than this. that a man lay down his life for his friends" Anne

Anne.

A nice end to a great thread - how did the church group meeting go?

Neil

Thanks Neil, the group were entranced - said I must write it all down. One dear lady commented 'It would make a good novel" There was a silence until two of us said together 'But it's true - it can't be a novel'

Somehow, telling it through from beginning to end was good, it confirmed its reality and made Eric William a definite part of my life, Don't know if that makes any sense? Anne

• 2 weeks later...

Just been sitting here reading through all the postings from the beginning to the end - having a weep and yet rejoicing at all I have learned this summer, not just about my own history, but about strangers caring for strangers. It means something really profound.

Don't know when I shall get to France, but I shall get there. Meanwhile, I am still searching for any

descendents - no luck yet. Anne

Anne,

Thinks this is his parents' marriage. Maybe worth following up on the Bristowe line, in case of no luck with sister Jessie?

Free BMD

Marriages Sept qtr 1891

Bristowe Alice Maude Camberwell 1d 1465

Maggs William Adolphus Camberwell 1d 1465

From the 1901 census I think Alice came from the Camberwell area.

Anyway, have a look at her on the 1881 census, makes interesting reading, and perhaps some areas for further enquiry.

Ian

Hi Ian

You are right about 1881 - wow some relatives!! I can't find the connection between Rev. Gentlman and Alice - they say cousins but I can't find out how. He is in Burks Peerage, but the subscription is a bit too pricey (15.75 for 24 hours!!)

Do let me know if you have any more good ideas! Anne

Anne,

The family name Bridgeman was Eric's maternal grandmother's maiden name! (Got that...)

Henry Fox Bristowe (Alice M's father) married Selina Bridgeman June qtr 1850, St Georges Hanover Square District of London.

Thus the family connection Bristowe/Bridgeman was on Eric's mother's side.

Ian

• 1 month later...

It seems time for an update. Despite much searching I have not yet found any living relatives for Eric William Bristowe Maggs. I found his sister's obit, she died in 1965 unmarried. However, I was interviewed on the local radio for Yeovil last week - in hope that someone might still live there.

Today I have found out there is a family vault in Yeovil cemetery so tomorrow I am off to find it. At last an opportunity to pay my respects to the young man who gave his all for me and mine. I know his body is not there, but there is a memorial cross. This whole experience has had a deep and lasting impact on my life.

Anne

Ditto. It was a pleasure to have played some part in the early research and I would also like to be kept abreast of any further developments.

What an amazing story contained in this topic.

And an example of the willingness of the people on here who are preppared to offer help to others.

Well done Anne. Your flowers?

Any chance of a close up of the inscription?

A cemetery that I know reasonably well as the father in law is buried there.

As you say a beautifully looked after place - just a shame that they seem to have been a bit zealous in laying headstones flat or putting support on those that might wobble.

What is the etiqutte about leaving (discrete) contact details "just in case" at a graveside?

Steve.

Sorry had problem putting close up on - hope you can read it. Yes, I left the poppies - silk ones so they will last a while, I also left a card with my name and phone number tucked under the flowers - just in case.

I have decided to put an 'in memorium' in the Times each 20th August - like his father did.

Anne

I have decided to put an 'in memorium' in the Times each 20th August - like his father did.

Anne

What a really nice touch Anne - good for you.

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

Curiousity, interests, diligence and persistence and compassion and kindness coalesced in your case to produce a satisfactory result as well as a heartwarming one. This is great. Let us remember that the slaughter of this war needs to be remembered personally and individually in no small way to combat the anome and fundamental cultural dissonance that we now have with virtually everyone having passed from us from this war.

Congratulations and keep up remembering him.

John