Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This KRRC officer saved my father's life

annestormont

29 minutes ago, helpjpl said:

Charterhouse Roll of Honour:

http://charterhousewarmemorial.org.uk/RollofHonour.aspx?RecID=411&TableName=ta_factfile

BMJ - Vol. 2, No. 3012 (Sep. 21, 1918), p. 328 (see Preview):

https://www.jstor.org/stable/20335833?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

JP

Thanks, JP.  Great additions to this classic thread (I'm sure I've not seen them before).

Edited by Jim Clay

• 2 weeks later...

:poppy:RIP Eric William Bristowe Maggs. 2nd Lieutenant King's Royal Rifle Corps, killed in action near Lens on August 20, 1918, aged 23. 

Maggs.jpg.b26b3a4407fb9caaf940602f2f7b8ab3.jpg

JP

• Admin

Remembering :poppy:

SAM_2771.JPG

On 20/08/2013 at 16:31, MBrockway said:

Simply:- "On the 21st unfortunately one of our patrols was cut off by a strong party of the enemy, and the officer in command, 2nd Lieut. E. W. B. Maggs, was killed; his body was brought in and buried at Souchez" KRRC Chronicle 1918.

Interesting that the day is matched with the grave registration form - but not the gravestone .

Maggs.JPG.f0747050c90ba1a7af0e07290a77eb7a.JPG

• 11 months later...

During this month I always think back on this special thread. I also think of Ann who started this off.

10 hours ago, Martin Feledziak said:

During this month I always think back on this special thread. I also think of Ann who started this off.

Thank you Martin for bringing this thread back to the top.  One of my all time favourite threads.  The GWF at it’s best.

Mandy

I joined the forum a few months ago after lurking for several years. Had intended joining in discussions, asking questions etc,etc, but when push came to shove felt too inhibited to post.

What on earth could a newbie, (who never served), add to the breadth and depth of knowledge here, the fantastic existing cameraderie, the helping of others with gaps in their research, and the retelling of inspiring tales of bravery and courage from their own experience.

After reading this thread today (for the first time), I feel unvbelievably humbled and also a bit silly. 

No military knowledge or experience is needed at all (although I still do wish I had aquired some!), to say that the reading of this thread is one of the most uplifting and life affirming experiences I can remember.

In a world so depressingly focussed on celebrity, possesions, trivia, etc, etc etc, the story of 2nd Lieutenant Maggs, Anne, and all members of this forum who helped her find the answer to a simple but seemingly impossible question....(.Who is this man?), is like a beacon of light shining through the darkness of what has become a very self obsessed world.

If only the actions, intentions and kindness shown here were the "default position" in the wider world.  I do think this is possible, especially if  more people can be inspired by reading the humanity displayed in threads like this.

Sadly, it looks like Anne is no longer with us.....but I won't be forgetting her and 2nd Lieutenant Maggs' story anytime soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping due to the date, and in the hope that other members who may not have had the chance to read this thread, now have the opportunity.

Hope no one minds! 

Maggs.jpg.b26b3a4407fb9caaf940602f2f7b8ab3.jpg

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. Truly inspirational.

RIP 2Lt Maggs

• 1 year later...

Just refreshing this thread.

Remembering 

Eric William Bristowe Maggs. 2nd Lieutenant King's Royal Rifle Corps, killed in action near Lens in August  1918, aged 23. 

14 minutes ago, Martin Feledziak said:

Just refreshing this thread.

Remembering 

Eric William Bristowe Maggs. 2nd Lieutenant King's Royal Rifle Corps, killed in action near Lens in August  1918, aged 23. 

I was reading this thread earlier, as it was one of the first threads I ever saw.

I was going to post something on August 20th. I would also like to note with great sadness that Anne did indeed pass away as hinted in a previous post. I found out while researching her father that she died February 2014. May she rest in peace.

May Second Lieutenant Eric Bristowe Maggs of the KRRC rest in peace for his noble deed at the age of 23.

Note: Maggs was an interesting character. He had apparently been in the HAC and was wounded whilst serving there.

Tank.

Rest in Peace Second Lieutenant Eric William Bristowe Maggs.

May he rest in peace aswell as Anne who started this thread and unfortunately passed away in February 2014.

We will remember Maggs, even 104 years on.

Edited by tankengine888

• Admin

Remembering Eric Maggs and his daughter Anne. :poppy:

Remembering Eric Maggs.

Also Anne who shared his story with the GWF.

RIP

• 1 year later...

Probably my favourite thread on the forum.

Worth bringing it into play again so new members get a chance to read up on the power of the forum.