Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This KRRC officer saved my father's life

annestormont

Hello Geoff,

No, I haven 't actually explored Bejamin Johnston at all - was a bit daunted by the thought of starting again but in Scotland! I think I should. The newspapers mentioned earlier would require a visit I think and that's a bit difficult as I am in Plymouth - although I have decided to visit North Devon if necessary.

I found a marriage for Jessie Maggs to Barratt 3/4 1917 Bristol 6a 343. Too soon to send for the certificate. Her full names were not used (Jessie Violet M) so might not be her.

I have received such great support from this forum that I am determined not to give up! Anne

Tomorrow, 20th August, is 2nd Lt. Eric Maggs' anniversary. I have found a record of the family resting place in Yeovil. There are twelve members of his family, including him. His sister is not there and the most recent was in 1947.

Been through The Times again this pm - nothing new. I'm sort of banking on Charterhouse school having a photograph. Anne

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for this - I can't believe I missed it - Genes is my 'home page'!! I'd looked for Eric and his father and an uncle Edward -and I've searched BMD for a marriage for Jessie with no luck. Anyway we will see what Julie comes up with. Anne

Julia replied - William's wife was Sarah, and no mention of Eric, so no match I'm afraid

I-you-we have found him!!!

The officer who saved my dad's life is Eric William Bristowe Maggs. Confirmed today when I received two photographs of him from Charterhouse school. Isn't that wonderful?

I am now searching for living relatives, he had a sister Jessie V.M Maggs, but haven't yet found a death or marriage record.

The question now is how to honour his name.? I think I want to go to France and find his grave. I am overwhelmed by all sorts of emotions - thank you so much for all the encouragement and advice I have received.

Anne

Anne - well done indeed. How satisfying for you, and indeed how emotional. It may well be that you owe your own existence to this officer. Good luck with the visit, take plenty of Kleenex with you!

This is another fine example of the good work of this forum.

Ian

Anne.

Well done on tracking him down.

As Maggs is not a common name you could try searching on the 192.com website for details. There are a handful of households in Bromley and 2 in Barnstaple (near to Northam) with this surname.

Neil

This is an awesome thread and worthy of the classic thread status, if for no other reason than all the team work that helped a newbie track down her man from just a picture.

The best ending to this thread now is a pic from France.

Andy

Well done to all involved - the Forum at its best!

Congratulations Anne.

Well done!

Remembering the gallant Eric Maggs, only 23 years old himself.

I found a marriage for Jessie Maggs to Barratt 3/4 1917 Bristol 6a 343. Too soon to send for the certificate. Her full names were not used (Jessie Violet M) so might not be her.

Might be worth checking The Times for a marriage announcement (I don't have access now).

This was in the 20 August 1919 and 1920 editions:

post-4982-1157363830.jpg

The Memorium entries are also in the Times in 1936, 1937 and 1941 (and possibly all the other years too?)

Obviously a dearly missed man.

Steve.

Ahoj!

Incedible thread!

The question now is how to honour his name.?

Name the next male descendant Eric William.

And explain to little Eric William why he has those names.

Borys

Anne,

Having followed this story I am delighted you have found your man. Is there any chance of seeing the school photo you refer to? I would be interested to see what he looked like before WWI began.

A great thread,

Mark

Congratulations Anne, chuffed for you. You must post up your details of your visit over there

Patrick

post-13874-1157628791.jpgpost-13874-1157628736.jpg

I have just been talking to my eldest son who is more than happy to include Eric William in the naming of his first son - if and when! (He's only 20) Think that's a great idea.

I am going to try to put the photos on here. This is 1909 and 1911 he was 13 and 15.

I have found obits for both parents and other relatives - but nothing at all for his sister - shame. Anne

The look of a schoolboy at 13, the hint of more resolve and the approaching man at 15 years - it is painful to look upon these images, knowing what fate would have in store for him....

From an old, reversed photo and the knowledge of a regiment's name, Anne and the forum have brought back to light, for us to know more about, another man to be proud of.

Again, well done Anne. I look forward to reading any more info that you may uncover in your searches.

For Chris Baker - I echo Andy's previous comment, and also ask that this be considred for the 'Classic' thread.

Ian

Hi Anne

Great to see that you found your officer, well done.

Annette

Ahoj!

I am glad you liked the suggestion. And that your son liked it too.

I was worried it might had been Over The Top.

Keep well.

Borys