Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This KRRC officer saved my father's life

annestormont

Incredible all round... was it ever established how he died, there were a number of possibles, but was it ever narrowed down?

John

Incredible all round... was it ever established how he died, there were a number of possibles, but was it ever narrowed down?

John

This is an inspiring search. As a fairly new member to the forum and starting out on the research for my own G Grandfather who served in the KRRC this goes to show how valuable this forum really is.

• 1 month later...

John

No. I have not found out exactly how Eric died - is it possible to d'you think? This christmas my family round robin letter contained all the details about Eric Maggs and his bravery - just so that every descendent of George James Drayton will be aware that they owe their existance to him.

I continue to be very emotional about all things connected with the Great War - put it down to old age if

you like - but I know my life has been deeply affected by this experience - humbled. Anne

Anne,

Did not your father quote that the officer took the bullet that was meant for your father?

IE - he was shot?

Ian

Yes Ian. he did say that. So I guess that's it really - I mean it wont be recorded anywhere in any detail

will it? It's not mentioned in the diary.

Anne

Anne,

Of course only reading the battalion war diary will asnwer the question. But usually they just state

''killed''. Sometimes it might be possible to deduce the reasons from comments such as: 'suffered heavy shellfire - Mr ... killed plus three O/R....'etc.

It may well be that your father's recollections are as near to it as you can get. Unless there were other diaries/memoirs from fellow serving officers. That would involve a lot of searching and luck to uncover. But maybe worth asking elsewhere on this site: "Anyone have any info/memoirs/diaries for the KRRC in August 1918, or something similar.

Ian

Anne,

According to the electoral there are 10 people called Eric Maggs living in UK. The first one is an Eric W Maggs, albeit only aged 1! But you never know, one of these might have been named Eric after your father's saviour.

Might be worth a speculative letter.

Best of luck,

Dom

Postcode Town Street

FY2 9TX BLACKPOOL Calder Road 27

BS22 8UX* WESTON-SUPER-MARE Kingfisher Road 27

BS49 4LQ BRISTOL Claverham Road 142 Claverham

CH3 5XJ* CHESTER Coopers Croft 5 Great Boughton

GL7 2QR* CIRENCESTER The Waterloo

M24 5NS MANCHESTER Windermere Road 91 Middleton

SO16 5JY* SOUTHAMPTON Coxford Road 207

LL52 0ES* CRICCIETH Penaber Estate

OL9 9PJ OLDHAM Mough Lane 48 Chadderton

IM4 7DN* ISLE OF MAN Minorca Hill Laxey

• 6 months later...

This has been one of the best threads I have read for a long long time. It is truly inspiring that everyone in the know could pull together to finally reveal this brave young man.

What an inspiration he must have been to his troops. We have see him as a little fellow growing through adolesence to the true hero he died as.

Well done everyone. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this.

And may Eric rest in peace - he will certainly not be forgotten by us all.

What a special man.

And, Anne, I think it is a lovely tribute to remember him each year.

Susan.

• 11 months later...

UPDATE August 08 How quickly time speeds by - once again Eric's memorial day is almost here - 20th August 1918 and I know those of you who recall the story will remember him.

During this year I have continued to search for members of his wider family, his own all being dead now. Nothing

turned up until a few weeks ago when I found an ancestrial tree with the Maggs family on it - I was so excited and

anxious to share Eric's story - the response? a total lack of interest. That's all I'll say - 'cept to say there's nowt as

queer as folk!!

When the lady who deals with In Memoriums in The Times rang me to confirm the entry she said "I feel sure there is a story in this" So I was a ble to share it all again! She made an interesting suggestion , although I don't know if its possible, she asked if I knew who else was on that particular mission and wouldn't it be great to find out who else was there and

their stories? I've never thought of that - is it possible? What do people think?

I have to say that I frequently sing the praises of this web site to other people who, like me, are into genealogy I

remain so grateful to you for all your interest and kindness.

Anne

This deserves to be a classic thread.

Apart from over 6700 views it is an incredible piece of detective work by all involved in it and much more of a quality classic than some of the others that made it through the door. It is an outstanding example of what the members of this forum can do with so little information to work on.

One of my favourites. Have asked the Mods to consider giving it the acclamation it deserves.

Cheers

Chris

• Admin

Not the best of photos but you will get an idea of where Eric is buried.

• Admin

And another general view

An absorbing and emotional thread, Rest In Peace Eric

Michelle

Anne,

For some reason I am not getting the usual e-mail notification about postings on your thread, so sorry not to have responded earlier.

It is the 90th anniversary this year as well, so special remembrance of Eric over these next few days.

Researching others who were there and their stories will not be an easy one, a lot of "leg-work" and travel in store for you if you persue this. But then I know your debt of gratitude runs deep....

This forum is the best place to start! Did you read the battalion war diaries? It probably will not name other ranks, maybe just the officers. If you do get names then local newspaper archives from their locale might provide some info?

Good luck, and I am glad this is in classic threads.

Remembering Eric William Bristowe Maggs 20/8/18

Ian

RIP fellow.

Remembering you on the 20th

Susan

Thank you all for your responses. I have read through the war diaries for the time Eric was killed, no other names are mentioned. It simply says a patrol was cut off by a strong party of the enemy and the officer in charge, 2nd Lieut.E.W.B

Maggs, was killed; his body was brought in and buried at Souchez. Guess we will never know who else was there. apart from my Dad!

The photos are lovely, thank you for those.

Anne

Remembering you Eric William Bristowe Maggs, 90 years ago today you saved my father's life and granted me mine.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his life for his friends"

I will never forget......

Anne

• Admin

Not forgotten

• 2 months later...

What a wonderful thread, I was compelled to read the whole thing! I only stumbled across it today when checking to see if anything came up about 11th KRRC. My great-uncle Laurence Duxbury was part of the regiment and died of wounds 22/9/17. I wonder if you have seen the photo on Paul Reeds (11th Kings Royal Rifle Battalion photos) thread - there is an officer on the front row that resembles Eric?

Remembering all those who gave their lives.

Gamakly