Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Terry_Reeves

1 hour ago, Terry_Reeves said:

Mike, many thanks for your efforts, some of these are new to me. The big thing with the Special Brigade is tracking down the units the men belonged to and it these sort of records which are a big help.

TR

If you found the hospital records useful and you or someone you know has findmypast it might be helpful to search findmypast with a filter.  It came up with a list including serial numbers at no cost.  I used No 4 Stationary Hospital and put in the key word spec and got a load of people.  If when you check they are mainly special brigade it might be possible to datamine the records hospital by hospital for each year  in this way and trigger many hits although I doubt it will be comprehensive as the writing in the unit column is often difficult to read and may not be as consistent aas its supposed to be(Spec Spe Sp etc).  Just an idea

query.jpg

query output 1917.pdf

On 22/12/2002 at 15:21, Terry_Reeves said:

Over the past few years I have been compiling a roll of men who served in the RE Special Brigade and Special Companies. This formation was responsible for Britains chemical warfare effort.

I am now able to identify some 2-3000 of these men but would like to hear from any forum member who has information about any individual whom they believe served in the Brigade.

In particular, I would be interested in number and rank, any snippets of personal information, and in the case of those men who were killed, the location of any town or village war memorial that they may have been commemorated on.

If I can help anybody with identifying men whom they believe were in the Specials I will be pleased to do so.

Terry Reeves

Hello

Just wondering if this man was a possible candidate, 

Albert Hague. 

1/5th West Yorkshires 2597.  

Royal Engineers 130776. 

No service records sadly. 

Was a Plumber by trade form Belper in Derbyshire.

I checked a couple of service  numbers either side

130771  - 5th Motar Bttn, Special Brigade RE.   130773 - discharged from RE Special Brigade Depot.   130777- 2 Special Company RE.

Any thoughts and tips much appreciated.  

On 24/10/2023 at 20:26, Mike G James said:

If you found the hospital records useful and you or someone you know has findmypast it might be helpful to search findmypast with a filter.  It came up with a list including serial numbers at no cost.  I used No 4 Stationary Hospital and put in the key word spec and got a load of people.  If when you check they are mainly special brigade it might be possible to datamine the records hospital by hospital for each year  in this way and trigger many hits although I doubt it will be comprehensive as the writing in the unit column is often difficult to read and may not be as consistent aas its supposed to be(Spec Spe Sp etc).  Just an idea

query.jpg

query output 1917.pdf 194.95 kB · 2 downloads

Thank you, sick and wounded lists as provided by dink and Brian have  been a m of help in this respect.

TR

46 minutes ago, james drury said:

Hello

Just wondering if this man was a possible candidate, 

Albert Hague. 

1/5th West Yorkshires 2597.  

Royal Engineers 130776. 

No service records sadly. 

Was a Plumber by trade form Belper in Derbyshire.

I checked a couple of service  numbers either side

130771  - 5th Motar Bttn, Special Brigade RE.   130773 - discharged from RE Special Brigade Depot.   130777- 2 Special Company RE.

Any thoughts and tips much appreciated.  

James, he was a Special Brigade man however I do not know his unit. Sometimes information turns up in other mens records however. If it does I will let you know.

TR

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

This thread has been running so long I am aware that I mentioned Lt. Robert Taylor Hardman, 5th Special Brigade, early on, but don't think that I posted here my eventual detailed entry for him on the Bury Grammar School Roll of Honour. I don't know if there's anything useful for you here, Terry. 

http://bgsarchive.co.uk/Filename.ashx?tableName=ta_boys_rollofhonour&columnName=filename&recordId=26

32 minutes ago, Mark Hone said:

This thread has been running so long I am aware that I mentioned Lt. Robert Taylor Hardman, 5th Special Brigade, early on, but don't think that I posted here my eventual detailed entry for him on the Bury Grammar School Roll of Honour. I don't know if there's anything useful for you here, Terry. 

http://bgsarchive.co.uk/Filename.ashx?tableName=ta_boys_rollofhonour&columnName=filename&recordId=26

Mark, thanks for posting , a good piece of research no doubt.

TR

• 2 weeks later...

In case you do not yet have him on your roll, Pnr 84511 Victor Alfred George was a Lieutenant's batman in 2 Special (Mortar) Company, under 5th Special Battalion. He was shot by an enemy sniper on the Dixmude front and succumbed to his wounds on 14 November 1917. Victor is buried in Steenkerke Military Cemetery. He was the subject of a posthumous award of the Belgian Croix de Guerre.

1 hour ago, Chris_Baker said:

In case you do not yet have him on your roll, Pnr 84511 Victor Alfred George was a Lieutenant's batman in 2 Special (Mortar) Company, under 5th Special Battalion. He was shot by an enemy sniper on the Dixmude front and succumbed to his wounds on 14 November 1917. Victor is buried in Steenkerke Military Cemetery. He was the subject of a posthumous award of the Belgian Croix de Guerre.

I do have a substantial amount of information about him, but thanks for posting anyway.

TR

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me please. My great-grandfather was Thomas Wyatt Wareham, who was in the 'm' section initially before being moved to the 188th company on the 16th September 1915 working with gas. Therefore, we have presumed he was at the battle of Loos, would that be right?

Do we know what they did after this before 1916?

It then all gets a bit confusing. He continues here until the 1/1/16 when he is hospitalised, and then released on the 06/01/16 from the 4th London field ambulance. We therefore have presumed that he now was part of the 47th london division, forming a RE special brigade unit within this unit as they (4th london field ambulance) were linked to the 47th. We think this is the case because he finishes the war as acting captain in the 47th division and I believe the RE sent special brigade units to this unit. 

We understand from our records from TNA that on 15/07/1916 when he is promoted to acted sergent in the third battalion special brigade. 

He is then gassed on the 03/09/16 but we don't know whether this was part of a battle, or around Armentieres. I have read the third battalion diaries from TNO and it looks like this may be the case.

After being sent to 4 GBD from Boulogne, he is then given a commission on the 22/09/16 in the special brigade. Looking at the 47th london division, they were at the Battle of Flers–Courcelette which finished on the day he received his commission. There is no evidence after this he switches unit and at the end of the war, and reports he last served with the 47th division at the end of the war.

Therefore, we have presumed that between 22/09/1916 to the end of the war, he is serving with the 47th, as part of a 1st Middlesex Engineers (who sent RE people to the 47th).

I attach their service record (4 photos) too. Earliest is at the far right.

Any help here about who he served with ie units (as very confusing) and what battles he may have fought would be great and would be really appreciated. 

Thank you. 

RC6133055-2af05ceb-6808-49fe-8e69-d2f3ad2cf575_6133055_WO_339_71928_0019 (1).jpg

RC6133055-2af05ceb-6808-49fe-8e69-d2f3ad2cf575_6133055_WO_339_71928_0014 (1).jpg

RC6133055-2af05ceb-6808-49fe-8e69-d2f3ad2cf575_6133055_WO_339_71928_0013 (1).jpg

RC6133055-2af05ceb-6808-49fe-8e69-d2f3ad2cf575_6133055_WO_339_71928_0009 (1).jpg

Edited by Jamie Humphries

He is named in the Times Official Casualty List 29/09/1916, which will be for his being gassed. I can no longer access The Times Digital Archive since Lancashire Libraries no longer subscribe to it, so I can not tell if it was a large list.

Brian

Jamie

Interestingly he from my home town of Coventry.

A school teacher he was transferred from 14th Bn Royal Warwickshire to the Special Companies. He was sent to "M" Depot Coy at St Mary's Barracks, and from there to sent France.  The Special Brigade Depot in France was at Helfaut, but it is very likely that he was billeted in one of the surrounding  villages. He would have taken part in the Loos battle in 1915. 

In February 1916 the Special Companies were expanded into a Brigade size formation of five battalions,  and Z Special Company.  There was  (briefly) 4a Battalion which was raised to support the 5th New Army, being formed in 1916.

I have a copy go the Special Brigade Summary of Operations and there were no ops open and the only operation on 3.9.17 was that carried out by 6,8, 9 sections of B Special Company, 1st Bn, at Lens in support of 3rd Canadian Division. 

The reference to 47 Division is on his protection certificate and is47 Division Gas Services which makes it likely that he was a Divisional Gas Officer, training unit gas NCO's and advising units on gas protection, checking gas masks, and investigating  gas attacks on units etc. His profession as a schoolteacher would have made him a suitable candidate.

This is the personal information I have: 

1885 - 1979  Bn 30.11.1885, Coventry. BSc London University 1913. 1911 residing 86 Kingsway Rd, Stoke, Coventry. Asst schoolmaster (elementary). Married Edith A (nee Bolton) Coventry, 1916. 1939 Register schoolmaster secondary school, B’ham. Resided 152 Northfield Rd, Birmingham. Died 30.3.1979 of above address. Effects £12,872. Mother and sister both school teachers.  A Capt LG 20.11.18 (from 24.8.18)

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Hi Terry,

Thank you so much for all this information, very much appreciated. He was a physics teacher so makes sense.

Do we know what 188th special company were doing between The Battle if Loos, and 1st January 1916 when he was hospitalised?

Additionally, from 22nd September 1916 to the end of the war, Thomas Wareham, by the looks if things, remained in one unit, as no transfer occurs after this. Is it therefore fair to presume, considering it states he last served with the 47th, that he was with them for the rest of the war?

We know, because he told relatives, that he definitely went over the top, because he stated men either side of him were mown down and he ran as fast as he could. According to the 47th history book, it states the RE supported going over the top when they were short of men, so this fits this then? 

The gas divisional officer, was it usual to go over the top or did they usually just stay in the trenches?

Thank you.

Jamie

On 16/11/2023 at 14:39, brianmorris547 said:

He is named in the Times Official Casualty List 29/09/1916, which will be for his being gassed. I can no longer access The Times Digital Archive since Lancashire Libraries no longer subscribe to it, so I can not tell if it was a large list.

Brian

Thank you Brian. Is there a way to access that at all ie through the newspaper archive online? 

Thank you. 

Jamie

Jamie

Lancashire Libraries told me that Manchester Libraries subscribe to the Times Digital Archive but I have not made any contact with them. The lists, or reduced lists just showing local names, should also be in the local papers. I tried to search the BNL via FMP under Wareham, Birmingham 1916 but could not find anything. Perhaps a forum member can oblige. 

Brian

Jamie

On 13 October, 1915 188 company were billeted at Sailly Labourse south of Bethune.

Christmas 1915 they were at Bilques. 

With regard to men going over the top, some SB men were told to follow the attacking infantry in the first British gas attack at Loos.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 1 month later...
On 20/11/2023 at 09:51, Terry_Reeves said:

Jamie

On 13 October, 1915 188 company were billeted at Sailly Labourse south of Bethune.

Christmas 1915 they were at Bilques. 

With regard to men going over the top, some SB men were told to follow the attacking infantry in the first British gas attack at Loos.

TR

Hi Terry,

Many thanks for this.

I have had a look at the records and it appears the 3rd Battalion Special Brigade was firing and managing gas in the Armentieres region where my relative was gassed  in early September 1916. He was sent to the 110 FA which would have been linked to the Ulster 36th Division I believe. Therefore, it looks like he was not at the Somme with the 3rd Battalion Special Brigade. Is this right?

It looks like they remain there until around November time 1916 when they are involved in a gas operation with the 25 division in Ploegsteert.

Do we know what major battles the 3rd Battalion Special Brigade fought in after the Battle of Loos?

I am presuming The Battle of Messines 1917, the Battle of Cambrai 1917 and the second and third battles of the Somme in 1918? Is this correct? Any help here would be really appreciated.

Thank you!

Best Wishes

Jamie

Jamie, I am away at the  moment. I will probably be able to help, but will need a little bit of time. 

TR

Hi Terry,

Any help here would be really appreciated whenever you have time. Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Jamie

Terry

For Info.

I was reading the WD of 14 Div HQ GS on another thread and found an Operational Order from Major Bunker, OC No 4 Special Brigade, regarding a proposed discharge of gas on 25/06/1916.  Some interesting detail.

WO 95/1865 (Ancestry p316/824).

Brian

1 hour ago, brianmorris547 said:

Terry

For Info.

I was reading the WD of 14 Div HQ GS on another thread and found an Operational Order from Major Bunker, OC No 4 Special Brigade, regarding a proposed discharge of gas on 25/06/1916.  Some interesting detail.

WO 95/1865 (Ancestry p316/824).

Brian

Thanks very much Brian, I will check it out. Happy New Year.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/12/2023 at 23:10, Jamie Humphries said:

Hi Terry,

Any help here would be really appreciated whenever you have time. Thank you very much.

Best wishes,

Jamie

Hi Terry,

From what I have read earlier on, you may have a list of the major battles that the Third Battalion Special Brigade took part in from September 1916 to the end of the war. Do you know which battles this battalion and especially the M company which my relative was in for the majority of this period took part in at all?

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Jamie Humphries

On 11/01/2024 at 20:52, Jamie Humphries said:

Hi Terry,

From what I have read earlier on, you may have a list of the major battles that the Third Battalion Special Brigade took part in from September 1916 to the end of the war. Do you know which battles this battalion and especially the M company which my relative was in for the majority of this period took part in at all?

Any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Jamie Humphries

M Special Coy Operations 1916 -1918

3rd Bn Operations 1916.  May or may not have included “M” Coy”. Only battalions kept war diaries at this stage. Company War Diaries were introduced in 1917.

RS = Red Star    =  Chlorine

WS = White Star   =  50% Phosgene / 50% Chlorine

Projector = Livens Projector

Operations 3rd Battalion

30.9.16 Le Touquest- St Ives - 498 cylinders  WS / RS

1.7.16 ditto 34 cylinders WS / RS

31.8.16      Le Gheer 143 cylinders RS/WS & St Yves  391 WS/RS

8.10.16 Le Touquet, 313  cylinders WS/RS. Le Gheer & St Yves 66 WS/RS

9.1.16 Le Gheer & St Yves 55 WS

11.11.16 South of River Warnave 207 WS

26.11.16 South of River Scarpe WS

M COY specific

31.5.17 Bois du Blez 493 Projector.

14.6.l7 E of Houplines 283 WS

9.7.17        Wes Macquart 250 Oil (Projector). 59 Sect.

10.7.17 East of Armentiers. 250 projector. Sect 56,57,60. 2 Sect D Coy.

19.7.17 Wez Macquart 250 projector.

19.8.17 Le Bridox South of Bois Grenier . 700 projector. Sect 58.

14.9.17 East of Gapaard. 150 projector. Sect 58.

29.10.17 Dixmude. 300 projector .Sections 59/60 300 projector (with Belgian Army).

29.10 17  Dixmude.  300 projector Sections 59/60. Chateau. De la Bre, 400 Projectors Sections 59-60 and cemetery S of Dixmude 300 projectors (Belgian Army).

6.11.17 Dixmude , Section 58. 933 projectors (with 2 sections “N” Coy)

21.3.18 N of Lens 200 CG Sect 56.

1.4.18. E of Loos and Cite Auguste. 675 projectors.

7.4.18 Cite St Auguste. 537 projectors.

27.4.18 Cite St Auguste. 1165 projectors. Sections 57,58,60.

13.5 18 Riez du Vinage,. NW of Hinges. 100 RS. Sections 57, 60.

21.5.18 West of Cornet Malo. 99 RS. Section 60.

24.5.18. NW of Le Cornet Malo 99 RS Sect 57/60.

24.5.18 Pacaut Wood, N of Hinges, 150 projector. Sections 57/60.

7.6.18 Pacaut Wood, 273 projectors,. Sections 59/60.

14.6.18 Pacaut Wood, 343 projectors. Sections 59/60.

9.7.18 Pacaut Wood, 343 projectors.Sections 57/60.

18.7.18. S of Cornet Le Malo. 180 projector.

24.9.18 . SW of Fleurbaix. 460 projectors. Sections 59/60

25.9.18. E of Laventie. 96 projector. Section 57.

26.9.18. SW of Fleurbaix. 60 projectors. Sections 59/60

1.10.18. E of Laventie. 150 projector. Two sections.

2.10.18. E of Laventie. 92 projector (dummy ammunition).

Hope this helps.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 2 weeks later...

Terry

More reports mentioning Major Bunker.

WD 20 Div HQ GS January 1916. Discharge of gas by 190 Co on 08/01/1916. Reports name some Officers and there is a diagram of how "Boxes" were placed in the trenches.

Brian 

1 hour ago, brianmorris547 said:

Terry

More reports mentioning Major Bunker.

WD 20 Div HQ GS January 1916. Discharge of gas by 190 Co on 08/01/1916. Reports name some Officers and there is a diagram of how "Boxes" were placed in the trenches.

Brian 

Thanks Brian. Have you got the WO95 number please?

Thanks Brian. Have you got the WO95 number please?

WO 95/2095/1-5

Brian