Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Terry_Reeves

Terry

Sorry, I got confused by the last post which referred to Tunnellers.

Brian

2 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

Terry

Sorry, I got confused by the last post which referred to Tunnellers.

Brian

No worries mate, I suffer as well .

TR

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/11/2019 at 01:13, Terry_Reeves said:

Pabs

There is a zero missing from the number in your original post, however, this still remains a mystery as 288900 per his RFC record does not appear in the RE medal rolls either, nor is there an index card for him with that number.  I'll see what I can do.

TR

Did you ever have any luck with this Terry_Reeves?

51 minutes ago, Pabs1964 said:

Did you ever have any luck with this Terry_Reeves?

Pabs, I’m afraid not.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 2 months later...

Hi Terry

I have just acquired SWB no B85529 awarded to 1238544 Cpl Arthur Victor Warner RE who was discharged from the Special Brigade Depot due to wounds in 1919. As he got a pair he clearly served oversea so I am hoping you have him in your Special Brigade Database. Here below is the little I have uncovered on him so far. I have assumed that as he must have served overseas with the RE and was discharged from the Special Brigade Depot he must have served overseas in the Special Brigade and been wounded with them. I am hoping you can confirm this please

Andrew

Military Career

He enlisted on the 6th Nov 1915 and was posted to the 15th Royal Fusiliers as Private G/20934. This was Reserve Battalion converting in 1916 to a Training Reserve Battalion and did not serve overseas. He was later posted to the RE as Cpl 128544 in the Special Brigade. As he was awarded a pair he clearly served oversea with the RE and it was with them that he was wounded. He was discharged from the RE on 14 Jan 1919 from the Special Brigade Depot. Again, another unit that did not serve oversea they were based at Withnoe (Devonport).

A V Warner appears on the Old Boys Memorial for Trafalgar School, Elmsleigh Road, Twickenham.

He was awarded a Pair issued to him as Cpl 128544 and SWB no B85529

Family Background

He was born on 14 Dec 1892 his father was Henry a Cab Proprietor and his mother Priscilla nee Friggens. His father was a cab proprietor at the time they were still horse drawn indeed in the 1911 Census Arthur aged 18 is shown as a stable lad and his two elder brothers as cab drivers. The 1911 Census also shows his parents had 8 children but by 1911 only 5 had survived. A sister and four brothers

He lived at Agnes Villas, 6 Gothic Road, Twickenham in 1919 according to his Pension Card and this is the same address as the 1911 Census

He married Edith Florence Jones in 1924 she was born 6 Dec 1893

Arthur and Edith were living at 7 Orchard Road Twickenham in the 30’s

Died in the Hounslow area in 1966 aged 74

wo329_2999-00220.jpg

Medal Roll for Pair.jpg

Andrew, thanks for posting. . He did serve overseas with the Special Brigade, and probably was transferred around March 1916. He does not appear in any of the war diaries.His discharge was from the Special Brigade Depot at Devonport, which closed around the end of January, 1919. I can't hep any further I'm afraid.

TR

Hi all, Davesmedals has sold Nathaniel lobb 5818 medals. If the person who has brought them is on here can you please contact me as trying to get them back into my family, thank you

Edited by Christopher9090

Christopher

Try contacting the seller and ask for them to contact the buyer on your behalf. You may wish to include a note explaining why.  I have Nathaniel in my SB data base. Formerly 12 Field Company RE, died of wounds serving with Z Special Company.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Terry,

I have spoken to Davesmedals and sent him an email to pass on to who has brought the medals, hopefully I can get them back into the family soon 😔

1 minute ago, Christopher9090 said:

Terry,

I have spoken to Davesmedals and sent him an email to pass on to who has brought the medals, hopefully I can get them back into the family soon 😔

Good luck. Keep us informed please.

TR

On 22/12/2002 at 15:21, Terry_Reeves said:

Over the past few years I have been compiling a roll of men who served in the RE Special Brigade and Special Companies. This formation was responsible for Britains chemical warfare effort.

I am now able to identify some 2-3000 of these men but would like to hear from any forum member who has information about any individual whom they believe served in the Brigade.

In particular, I would be interested in number and rank, any snippets of personal information, and in the case of those men who were killed, the location of any town or village war memorial that they may have been commemorated on.

If I can help anybody with identifying men whom they believe were in the Specials I will be pleased to do so.

Terry Reeves

Do you have an elijah jesse flower mentioned anywhere as an RE born late 1800 served first world war 

3 hours ago, Gail said:

Do you have an elijah jesse flower mentioned anywhere as an RE born late 1800 served first world war 

Gail, I’m afraid not.

TR

• 2 weeks later...

I  would point out that this man was with a roads and quarries unit and not the Special Brigade. Perhaps the mods could move this to a more appropriate thread.

TR

• 2 weeks later...

Terry,

Found this one amongst a Newfoundland Regt Soldiers records 

Dave

5E64ED2F-BE55-4C06-90CE-407FEB73B3CC.jpeg

10 minutes ago, dink999 said:

Terry,

Found this one amongst a Newfoundland Regt Soldiers records 

Dave

5E64ED2F-BE55-4C06-90CE-407FEB73B3CC.jpeg

Dave,nice find, Thanks very much. No 2 Coy was part of 5th Special Mortar Bn.

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Terry,

Another good list from inside a Newfoundlander’s service record and not showing up on FMP

Dave

DA56F682-7D1F-4A00-B450-AB4A111AEBC9.jpeg

Well done Christopher!

1879-1917.  Bn Tavistock. Enlist Devonport. Disemb 8.9.14 (12 Fld Coy) Died 10 Stationary Hosp. 18.3.17. Bur Longuness (St Omer) Souvenir Cem. Z Coy attended funeral on 12.3.17. Served Boer War. Sof Nathaniel & Ann Hoper Lobb, Stoke Climsland, Callington, Cornwall. Com Stoke Climsland WM. 

TR

Edited by Terry_Reeves

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Terry

Alfred Andrew Risbridger 

Another Silver War Badge man that was discharged from the Special Brigade Depot

Here is what I have turned up so far from the Usual sources so anything you can add will be gratefully received

Military Career

He enlisted in the RA on 15 Oct 1902 as Driver 27065.

At some time he transferred to the reserve for on the outbreak of WW1 he was working as a labourer and living at 211 Hook Road Epsom when his daughter was christened on 31 May 1914.

He was recalled from the Reserve on the outbreak of war in August 1914. He served in the 30th Brigade RFA at the start of  WW1 and first landed in France with them on the 19th August 1914.

Dorking Advertiser 29 April 1916 article re him being arrested and sent back to Woolwich

He transferred to the RE as 192772 on the 29 Dec 1916 and was discharged wounded from the Special Brigade Depot 21 March 1918 and awarded SWB no 370373

He was an ARP Warden in WW2 and may have qualified for a Defence Medal.

Family Background

Alfred was born on the 9th September 1884. His parents were Henry, a carman and Isabel. The family lived next door to the White Horse Pub in Dorking Road, Epsom at time of 1891 Census

He was one of 12 children 9 still living at the 1911 Census.

He married Edith Mabel Bevand on 6th April 1918 and one week later their first child, Edith was born.

1923 living at Chitty’s Cottages, Woodfield Lane, Epsom

On 21 Dec 1938 he was living at 86 Woodfield Road when his 1914 Star Bar Trio was sent to him

The 1939 Register confirms the dates of births Edith Mabel 1 Aug 1888 and Edith, the daughter 18 April 1914.

Alfred died in 1962 aged 75