Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Andy, wonderful chosen words!

Spike -its worth it, he has more GWF visits than family related visit. Great story here with all your participation and caring!

EGGY

this is a great story for a marvellous book !

MZ from H

Yes Malte I know, but I am not a book writer that's the problem!

• 1 month later...

Egbert

What a story I have been spellbound. You are so lucky to have all these momento's of your Gran'dad.

Treasure them, you must turn them into a story after all the effort you have taken in putting them into Threads. There must be a publisher somewhere who would you point you in the right direction.

How could you have waited so long to open the trunk?

All our family has of our Great Uncle is his medal which has an assumed name engraved on it as he enlisted under the name Smith which you must admit is not very original.

Best wishes

Sylvia

Well Sylvia and Malte, I fear there is no market for something like that being written in a book. So all efforts would be uneconomic.

If the British folks here on GWF understand that the other side to include the families suffered the same fate and produced widows and orphans, the story fulfills its mission

egbert,

You have your Grandad's & Dad's photos and decorations on your wall looking very impressive.

Now is there another generation of Sandrocks ready to put your photo and decorations on the wall too? (Have you posed for your portrait yet?)

Thank you so much Egbert and Gottfried. I live many miles away from the North of France where my grandfather William and his four brothers served for King and Country, and my great uncle John's name is listed on the Menin gate with so many others from the War to End All Wars.

The story of your grandfather is remarkable, and the stories, mementos and maps have left me with an indelible image of his life and sacrifice that I will stash away deep in my heart. Thank you so very much for sharing these private things with us all.

Egbert;

I just recently discovered this forum and today this thread which I have just read begining to here.

Reading this returns what reading a great novel does - A life connected to LIFE. His life - your families life - the life of his generation - our lives today. The lives of all people through all ages.

Two things struck me as to this feeling of life outside time:

One was that picture of the site of Gotfrieds temporary resting place from the era transposed with that of the satelite image of the same spot.

The other, how extaordinary it is - that your Grandfather who gave your Father life who gave you life - Was in a way brought back to life by your Father's discovery of his resting place , and then you gave back to your Grandfather his name, on that resting place. And now he is a part of all our lives.

Thank you, and thank you to those who made this website and maintain it and to those who contribute to it.

Thank you;

John

thanks again Joe!!!

John these are interesting points you observed, maybe the driving factor to remember and to research was/is the fact that also my father and myself are in the military and maybe better understand the circumstances of the ultimate sacrifice. If I had to answer on the spot, I'd name the mouth organ the most poignant artifact as I always try to think about the fact that when they played it in the trenches, clearly audible for friend and foe how painful the sweet tune must have brought memories of home to the soldiers in the dirt and miserable life in the dugouts

thanks again Joe!!!

John these are interesting points you observed, maybe the driving factor to remember and to research was/is the fact that also my father and myself are in the military and maybe better understand the circumstances of the ultimate sacrifice. If I had to answer on the spot, I'd name the mouth organ the most poignant artifact as I always try to think about the fact that when they played it in the trenches, clearly audible for friend and foe how painful the sweet tune must have brought memories of home to the soldiers in the dirt and miserable life in the dugouts

Yes, and the baby shoe, and the lock of hair .....every single thing in that chest has great evocative power.

The whole story would make a great movie, but it would take a genius to do it right.

Citizen Cane was developed from only a lousy sled.

John

Egbert,

As others have said, thank you so much for sharing your family - I have been deeply moved reading through it all. Thankfully my grandfather survived the war however I never knew him, but I feel closer to him through thanks to you.

Nick

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi Egbert

I have just clicked on to this thread. Shamefully overdue! It has taken me a good hour and a half to read your granddad's story and what an emotional rollercoaster it has been! You truly are a master of suspense and a gifted storyteller! Words cannot describe the emotions that I experienced while reading and I cannot put how grateful I am to read this into words. I only hope that this post encourages members to read this wonderful story, if they haven't done already, by putting it "on top of the pile".

God bless you and your family!

I for one will never forget your granddad!

Lynz

Lynz, your posting made me aware to keep a promise.

Somewhere in the large thread I posted the last will of Gottfried addressing his sons

............I have just finished translating all the field letters and some letters of his two sons, dating "futuristic" up to 1943, when both were young Lieutenants. Amongst other I found heartbreaking commitments and pledges from Grandfathers two sons towards my Grandmother on the legacy which Gottfried wrote down as a gift for their path of life (and which was quoted in the thread). Amazing stuff -I hope coming generations know how to deal with this treasure and assume responsibility for lord-keeping all this material.......

Hi, Egbert - any chance of you postting those letters if they're not too private?

Marina

Let me bring back the actual words of Gottfried's last will directed to his sons in 1918:

My dear sons,

You hardly knew me, but your good mother will always tell you how much I loved you. You were my pride and joy.

I wish you much luck in your lives; be ambitious but respectful, and never abandon your good mother. If either of you were ever to leave his mother in need, he would not be worthy to have the sun shine on him.

My last wish is that you should learn a good profession and bring honour to our family name.

Farewell, my dearest boys

Your father

And here are the relevant letters from the two young lieutenants many years thereafter, written to their mother who raised them alone:

Bernau, 13 June 1942

My dear little Mutti,

This gift of flowers from us, your sons, is just a very small token of the gratitude we owe you. You devoted your life to bringing us up to become decent men, and I think you succeeded in that, and you have no reason to be ashamed of us.

Field Post letter

Göppingen, 11.5.1943

My dearest Mutti,

On Mother’s Day … the day on which your sons think of you with gratitude. I look back on my own childhood, which you guarded and guided as both Mother and Father. And when you hold our little bouquet of flowers in your hands today, know that it is not only from us but also from Günther, who may not be able to send you his greetings on the exact day this year, but, like us, will be with you in his thoughts….. So, be happy on this day and above all proud of your work, proud of your boys, who have always honoured and obeyed their father’s last wishes, and always will.

(Remark: the last letter addresses the fact that my father was engaged in the bloody battle of Kursk where he earned his EK I as a battery commander of AAA unit in surface-surface fighting. Field post was certainly minor priority in the strugglefor survival)

That's really good of you to share that with us Egbert. I feel like I "know" these wonderful people! Their respect and devotion to their mother is really touching and I wish we'd see more of that nowadays!

Lynz :lol:

Egbert, did your father command a battery of 88s? My late father was under surface-to-surface 88 fire in 1945.

Egbert.

Apart from the little shoe I think Gottfried's letter to his sons is the most moving part of this thread. Your grandfather's story is still the best thing ever to have appeared on this Forum and, while I know you had trouble from some parts of your family for making it public, I hope you realise it is appreciated worldwide.

Neil

Egbert.

Apart from the little shoe I think Gottfried's letter to his sons is the most moving part of this thread. Your grandfather's story is still the best thing ever to have appeared on this Forum and, while I know you had trouble from some parts of your family for making it public, I hope you realise it is appreciated worldwide.

Neil

I followed this topic for a long time now, and I would like to say thanks for sharing it with us.

Hello Egbert,

I am a resently joined member to GWF and only came across this thread 2 days ago. I must say that it has been one of the best storytelling that I have come across. You have moved many a person to tears according to some of the entries by fellow members and I must admit that I am one of them who had a tear in my eye over some of the articles and letters.

Egbert, thank you for a job well done.

Regards

John