Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

The great advance 1914, Grandfathers push into France in/with 12.Kompanie, III Bn, IR 49

The battle of Soupir, 2 November 1914

post-80-1154715171.jpg

The great advance 1914, Grandfathers push into France in/with 12.Kompanie, III Bn, IR 49

The enemy fled in panic and left lots of hardware and food. 2 artillery guns and 3 MG were also captured.

Remarkable fact: in the French trenches we found German trench coats and tarps with issue stamp of our regiment 49. Obviously they were the same French troops as the ones we had fought earlier in Crapeaumesnil and Les Loges and where we suffered heavy losses from them. The victory in Soupir was considered a true satisfaction, revenge and success.

Small world, eh?

Marina

Front of Chateau de Soupir 1914

post-80-1154876487.jpg

Back of Chateau de Soupir 1914

post-80-1154878599.jpg

Soupir village 1914 or earlier

post-80-1154906189.jpg

"La Cour de Soupir", 1914

post-80-1155313766.jpg

"La Cour de Soupir", destroyed

post-80-1155313831.jpg

I wonder why attachments within this thread have been deleted. I do understand that over time the interest in this thread will diminish to nil, but-

will most attachments therefore be deleted over time due to file storage limitation?

Spot checking I find the attachments in post #601 and # 489 already removed.

The attachments are both .PPT files. I wonder if these type of attachments are no longer permitted?

Steve.

I have recently completed a summary of this thread (well the Trunk bit but not the subsequent maps and pictures on advances into France) and, having had agreement from Egbert and Chris, hope to make it generally available in the not too distant future. It will not include every single attachments but hopefully the main ones.

Neil

Well done Neil. That's great news

I think the story should be published. I know I am not the only member to think this.

Are there any PALS members who could help in a professional way?

Would be wonderful and a totally fitting tribute to the man himself.

Susan.

After a bit of messing about - because I could not get my own web space to work - I have put the summary on E-Snips which can be accesed from here.

This is no work of art or professional job, merely a rough summary I put together for myself. But Egbert has seen it and made the changes he felt necessary. I also want to emphasise that this is for personal use only and the copyright rules of the Forum apply.

I hope it works!

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Egbert!

I only "chimed in" or posted in this thread a couple of times, but I have followed it closely. It truly has been wonderful. The thread itself is a specific, unfolding art form, but I also feel that all your research and your artifacts deserve another presentation.

There now are so many options, both technical and business/financial, in publishing that it is now possable to easily and inexpensively publish almost anything, without the approval of a dreaded publisher and editor. (Clearly a proper presentation of this material would be an unusual book that some publishers might not instantly warm to.)

I have a couple of "e-friends" in Germany who write books on WK I and self-publish them, quite nice and excellent books. They also sell them themselves, and probably also get them into more conventional book outlets. One is a Hauptmann in the Bundeswehr. I also have seen a book self-published in the US by two life-long friends who now live on opposite coasts of the US and carry out a lively e-correspondence. They decided to write a book based on their e-mail conversations, certainly a topic of limited interest, and they used commonly available software to write and lay it out. Then some firm printed a full-sized book, with illustrations, with an attractive paper cover in color that included a photograph. They had 100 copies printed, for a total cost of $800. This was a couple of years ago, and I bet that it could be done today for less.

A book such as the one you could produce would of course have a much wider appeal than the example I gave above. You might also consider an edition in English as well as in German.

Such a work would be a really permament way of perpetuating your grand-father's memory.

Gruss aus Philadelphia,

Bob Lembke