Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Please tell me your dad survived WW2!?

Graeme keep on reading , you will get the answer towards the end of the long long thread!

Spike, I got the reference from this link. I believe the pagesjaunes were also discussed here.

Egbert, I was bathing my 3 year old son last night and all I could think about was your dad missing his daddy, talk about choked up. I still maintain your trunk is a German national treasure. I'm glad we can all marvel and grieve as friends nowadays, I hope those who suffered so much are all drinking beer and schnapps and having a good old sing song up there together.

Also, I remember I have parachuted at Merville myself, onto a WW2 gun battery that was attacked by us in the war. I did it as a commemoration jump a few years back. If I had known your grandad was nearby I would've popped in!!!

Spike, I got the reference from this link. I believe it was alsohe pagesjaunes were also discussed here.

Thanks Egbert- now I'll just have to try and get it to work- I now recall the thread and at the time(last week I think)-I couldn't get it to work and I think I was not the only one :unsure:

Egbert,

It seems that the real secret of Gottfried's trunk is the drawing together of peoples from all walks of life and nationalities, in a remembrance and understanding of all those that served in the Great war.

Your posting has shown that there are two sides to the story, and that compassion and understanding can reach over the barriers erected by the few, to enlighten the many.

I hope that those who attend the battlefields this year, make a point of visiting Gottfried's grave and placing a poppy or a token on it, for the appreciation of all, for this wonderful human story, and as a tribute to all who died, during the Great War.

regards Kim

I see now, you have to know a business address in the area you want,(which you can find using the parent site Mappy- Mappy itself appears to restrict the aerial views to major cities only-changes back to a map as you leave these cities-well it did with Amiens) Then paste this adress into pagesjaune and chose map/ vue aerienne. then you can move the satellite view -I'm just looking at a view of Thiepval and the Lonsdale Cemetery- found via La Taverne du Cochon Salé restaurant in Authuille then moving the view NE.

You must have a screen capture facility Egbert- as the picture is in macromedia flash player.

Guest Ali Holmes

Hi,

I've been visiting this site for a year or so on and off - only just found this thread. I am absolutely stunned, enthalled and completely emotional. From the touching personal moments that bring a warm glow, to the absolute horror of war that makes you wonder how anyone endured it. What a treasure you have and how it makes me long for even 1 item to remember my grandfather. My grandfather was in the RFA from 1914-18 and was one of the survivors of the war but unfortunately died in 1963 the same year I was born so I never had the chance to meet him.

It all seems so much more real now. I have spent long hours reading accounts of various days during the war, trying to discover where my grandfather was and what he going through and although there is some extremely interesting reading I think I tended to forget that these are actual men who had lives before the war with families who they worried about and longed to be with. There are also the wives and children at home missing and terrified for what may happen to their loved ones.

I am completely in agreement with all those who think this should be published, both the way it has been presented and the story it tells is quite fascinating.

Alison

Hi all - yes I dropped in on Merville gun battery in Normandy. I didnt realise there were 2 Mervilles!!! Sorry!!!! Good job the pilot didnt either coz he would deffo have dropped us on the wrong one!

Hands up if you think Egberts family treasure should be given wider recognition!!! What a legacy for his Grandad!!

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought the missing Centenar Medal at an auction -its the same medal as you can see Grandfather wearing in the portrait picture, posted earlier here within this thread

post-80-1149096092.jpg

Another Epilogue

Operation Michael, 21 March 1918 -26 March 1918, Part I, Grandfathers path forward in/with 1st Bn, IR 49

Bourlon-Louverval

post-80-1149299400.jpg

Operation Michael, 21 March 1918 -26 March 1918, Part II, Grandfathers path forward in/with 1st Bn, IR 49

Louverval-Hermies

post-80-1149342058.jpg

Operation Michael, 21 March 1918 -26 March 1918, Part III, Grandfathers path forward in/with 1st Bn, IR 49

Hermies-Bertincourt-Barastre

post-80-1149429139.jpg

Operation Michael, 21 March 1918 -26 March 1918, Part IV, Grandfathers path forward in/with 1st Bn, IR 49

Grevillers-Irles-Achiet le Petit

post-80-1149448932.jpg

Operation Michael, 21 March 1918 -26 March 1918, Part V, Grandfathers path forward in/with 1st Bn, IR 49

Achiet le Petit-Serre

post-80-1149514858.jpg

Some more "filling" to the amazing story you've told, Egbert. This thread really is a tribute....... and then some !

Operation Michael, 21 March 1918 -26 March 1918, Part VI, Grandfathers path forward in/with 1st Bn, IR 49

Serre-Hebuterne

post-80-1149614085.jpg

:( From the baby shoes, the touching letter excerps about his golden ones, the wedding photos, to the picture of the son visiting his father's grave in 1970, I have just spent the last 2 hours with a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing your very personal story, I, like many others I am sure, will lay a poppy cross on Egberts grave when I am next there in June/July.

I, like many others I am sure, will lay a poppy cross on Egberts grave when I am next there in June/July.

Yoshi thank you very much for caring and showing your respect to the "other side"!

There is one more thing Yoshi: please do not put poppies on my grave, first because we don't know when I will die, second we don't know where it will be :o

But if you put some poppies on Gottfrieds grave in CWGC Merville and also would take a picture for me, I'd really appreciate that. Thank You Yoshi

Hallo Egbert,

I am reading this thread "secretly" :) for some time. Now it`s my turn to say that in my opinion this is absolutely great and amazing work!

Hut ab, weiter so und Hacke... na Du weißt schon!

Hinrich

Yoshi thank you very much for caring and showing your respect to the "other side"!

There is one more thing Yoshi: please do not put poppies on my grave, first because we don't know when I will die, second we don't know where it will be :o

But if you put some poppies on Gottfrieds grave in CWGC Merville and also would take a picture for me, I'd really appreciate that. Thank You Yoshi

Sorry Egbert, typo, :unsure:

I will ofcourse take a photograph of Gottfried's grave.

• 2 weeks later...

The great advance 1914, Grandfathers push into France in/with 10.Kompanie, III Bn, IR 49

The first battle, Sailly-Saillisel 27./28.8.1914

IR 49 losses: 286 souls

French PoWs captured: 1500

post-80-1151286465.jpg