Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

The great advance 1914, Grandfathers push into France in/with 12.and 9.Kompanie, III Bn, IR 49

The big battle, Les Loges/Crapeaumesnil, 1-26 October 1914

Les Loges 1914

Picture courtesy of "Collection Patrimoine de la Grande Guerre ", www.patrimoinedelagrandeguerre.com

post-80-1153066375.jpg

The great advance 1914, Grandfathers push into France in/with 12. and 9.Kompanie, III Bn, IR 49

Les Loges 1915

Picture courtesy of "Collection Patrimoine de la Grande Guerre ", www.patrimoinedelagrandeguerre.com

post-80-1153066510.jpg

The great advance 1914, Grandfathers push into France in/with 12.and 9.Kompanie, III Bn, IR 49

Les Loges Ferme

post-80-1153068898.jpg

Les Loges Ferme

post-80-1153068965.jpg

Les Loges Chateau

post-80-1153070743.jpg

Beuvraignes Station before the war

post-80-1153071774.jpg

Beuvraignes Station

post-80-1153072031.jpg

Beuvraignes Church, before the war

post-80-1153079317.jpg

Beuvraignes Church, 1915

post-80-1153079468.jpg

Beuvraignes Church, 1915

post-80-1153080715.jpg

Still a fantastic thread. Egbert, your telling is all. If you ever publish this...... I would be proud to own a copy. Can only humbly echo everyone's sentiments. This has been and still is THE BEST thread I have read.

Susan.

Egbert - great pics. On Stiletto's 'two men one memorial thread', E. Southwell describes visiting the interior of a ruined church like the one in the photo above.

Marina

And I thought i am entertaining myself here. Thanx Susan and Marina -two faithful friends of Gottfried, and Annie again for the bleuet!!!

French barricade in Beuvraignes

post-80-1153434716.jpg

Egbert,

Just looked at the thread again - plus all the new bits.

Well done, really enjoyed it.

As you may recall my Great Grandfather was killed very close to wher yours Grandfather died.

I will definately place a poppy on his grave next time I visit

Mark

Mark that'll be generous, if you follow Annie's footsteps. I know about the fate of your Granddad at "Le Vert Bois" and placed new pictures exclusively for you here; don't know whether you saw them yet

Beuvraignes -La Melina

post-80-1153499482.jpg

Egbert,

Some pages back we were wondering about the small chain with wire and ball at the end? We wondered if it was for a monocle, for instance. I cannot remember if it was resolved, but here is a picture of a Swiss train guard (zugbegleiter) and notice the attachment of the pince-nez to his ear.

The chain goes around the ear and is threaded back onto itself.

I think that may be what you have in your grandad's trunk?

Ian

post-7046-1153512140.jpg

Well, when I saved the scan as jpeg the image quality dropped to the point where you might not see the whole point of my post!

Sorry...

Ian

Well, when I saved the scan as jpeg the image quality dropped to the point where you might not see the whole point of my post!

Sorry...

Ian

True statement Ian; Marina the mystery officially is not declared >solved< :rolleyes:

Beuvraignes -La Place de Ville from more peaceful times

post-80-1153516853.jpg

My curiosity about the battle of LES LOGES/CRAPEAUMESNIL/BEUVRAIGNES led me back to my own archive and I found a picture book of IX. Reservekorps from 1914/15. There are some more pictures from Beuvraignes. Interesting side effect:

1. The French pic shown earlier on this page, is named La Melina. In the German book I found more pics of the same ruin and it was actually a farmhouse, called "Schweineferme"; obvioulsy a pig farm

2. A trench system within Beuvraignes was called "Sperlingslust" and there are some few interesting pics from