Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Egbert,

You know I love this thread but I canm hardly bear to click on it because of that thing whizzing round and round in your avatar!

Marina

Hello Egbert,

It is sad that we have come to the end of the journey for your granddad's chest. It was an interesting look into the past that many readers enjoyed. I thank you for sharing your story with us and hope many more people will get to read and enjoy this threat as much as I have. It was a classic, classic.

Regards

John :rolleyes:B)

• 4 weeks later...

Wow! What to say? Thank you for sharing Egbert. I joined this forum yesterday to learn about my Grandfather and feel enlightened by learning about yours.

Wow! What to say? Thank you for sharing Egbert. I joined this forum yesterday to learn about my Grandfather and feel enlightened by learning about yours.

Thanx for your continued interest.

In a couple of days my Grandfather's death on May 1st ,1918, commemorates its 90th anniversary. I was promised by one French pal here from GWF to have my Grandfathers favorite flowers lay down on the grave in Merville, as I will be out of Europe.

• 2 weeks later...

Egbert,

As I promised, this morning I was at Merville for my "rendez-vous" with Gottlieb... the weather is not very fine in north of France today an the light not very good, but here is one of the phogotraphs I taked of his grave I flowered for you.

Very friendly

Michel

(let me know if you want the others pictures)

post-10155-1209650257.jpg

Thank you for doing that, Michel, and for sharing it with us. Thanks to Egbert and this thread, I'm sure I'm not the only forum member who almost feels that Gottfried is part of my own family.

It must be an emotional day for Egbert. I can't promise it will be appropriately German, but I will raise a glass to Gottfried tonight.

Adrian

Adrian,

It is a great honour for me that Egbert given me this mission and you are right today must be an émotional day for him.

I just see that I made a mistake in the name, we must of course read "Gottfried" and not "Gottlieb" I apologize for this blunder.

here to make me forgive another photo of Merville ... with GOTTFRIED's grave flowered on the first plan.

Michel

post-10155-1209654298.jpg

C'est super sympa,Michel.Tous que t'as fais pour Egbert aujourdhui.

David et Chantal.

C'est super sympa,Michel.Tous que t'as fais pour Egbert aujourdhui.

David et Chantal.

My pleasure, you know well, my great pleasure... and it is so easy for me.

Very friendly

Michel

What a journey this thread has been. Egbert, I am honoured to have been allowed to share in your family's story - I have cried, and smiled, and the greatest thing I take from this, is that above the horrors of war, a man loved his babies so much he took an outgrown shoe to war, a woman loved a man so much that she brought up his children in the manner he asked, and kept her wedding flowers her whole life, to take with her, a baby loved his daddy so much he made a Santa mask and scribbled in his notebook ... your love for your father and grandfather, and grandmother ...

Love is greater than war ...

Thankyou ...

Michel, coming back today from a long journey, the first thing i did was admiring the pictures of the beautiful flower bouquet you put on the grave of Grandfather at his 90th year of KIA, 1May. Your flowers are so beautiful and most of all -they fit so very well: I believe Grandmothers favorite flower was lilac and of course Grandfathers were white Chrysanthemes, which are met with your composition so nicely. I thank you so very much for your caring and symbolic gesture. Could anyone believe 90 years ago that we are so close friends today? Certainly not. So this flower bouquet also is a symbol of the tragedy of so many soldiers taken away from their loved ones for what?

On May 1st I was somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, and my thoughts went so often to Grandfather when I watched the myriad of stars covering the quiet ocean....

The ship's passengers composed of Americans, Aussies, Belgians, Brits, French, Germans, New Zealanders -what could better symbolise that beyond the life in the mud and filthy trenches another world emerged where friendship rules....and above all of them/us= the souls of the Great Army, not forgotten.

In the night of this remarkeable day a guy called John Christie performed on stage. He should be known with Aussies and Brits as he even had some TV series in these countries. I was so touched and sunken in my own world when thinking of Grandfather's sad day 90 years ago, that I only listened to the very first and the very last words of his final song:

"Once Before I Go...................... God Bless You All-GoodBye.

post-80-1210497847.jpg

Beautifully expressed reflections, Egbert.

Gwyn

• 2 weeks later...
Yes indeed sometimes very moving what these things express! Thank you ALL for reading and participating.

Now - before I go on with lots of more secrets, there is one piece of jewelry which I do not understand what it is used for; some few jewelry may be mixed later with stuff from Grandmother, so it is not clear whether this particular piece comes from G'dad or G'mother; generally it is all low value, cheap stuff. So here is my question: what is this? Ladies to the front!!! or is it Gentlemen stuff?

Scale is in centimeters!

Egbert, it does indeed seem to be a monocle chain. Would this convince you?

monokel_neu.jpg

The original pic is from here:

Optik-Museum.De

Excellent Karvinen= that's it, no doubts any more. Thank you for caring!

Not at all, thanks for a memorable thread, Egbert

What a fascinating thread, Egbert! Thank you for sharing such personal information with us. It has been wonderful to read through so far.

• 2 weeks later...

A moving story accompanied by such beautiful detail.

Thanks

David

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Egbert,

I have just read the story from start to finish of your Grandad's trunk. It has been a truly fascinating read, and I wanted to say thankyou for sharing it.

Best wishes

Sarah (Fudgeweena)

Well thank's to/for the last 4 entries. The thread seems to be still running as the visitor hits are still rising