Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

Hi Egbert,

I noticed on Your fathers wedding photo that he wears the Luftwaffe Erdkampfabzeichen.

I cannot make out what unit he belonged to, Flak?

Best regards,

Cnock

What an amazing thread. Glad to have come across it.

• 2 months later...
Although in Granddads trunk, I suspect Grandmothers memorabilia

I think the flowers engraved on the locket are '"forget me nots."

• 2 months later...

A classic thread indeed, what a great family story, thank you Egbert

Andy

:rolleyes:

Thanks Andy for digging this thread up again.

I am still thinking how I can add to the existing posts with more revelations. But as I said earlier it needs to be planned carefully as I am always walking the thin ice w/r to family privacy. I think the fieldpost letters will not be suitable for the public as Granddad weaved his letters with expressions of his unconditional love towards wife and children

See you still have that DISGUSTNG insect there, Egbert!

Can you censor the letters by removing the really personal stuff? I:m sure we'd all like to see whatever is suitable.

Marina

I've been reading this thread for the past two hours ... an incredible story.

I remember reading this thread when I first joined the forum so when it popped up today as an active thread my reaction was "Wow" A blast from the past!" Like so many postrs along the thread, I've just spent several hours re-acquainting myself with Gottieb. This is in every sense a classic thread, Egbert. Thanks for sharing.

Keith

Can you censor the letters by removing the really personal stuff? I:m sure we'd all like to see whatever is suitable.

Marina

Egbert, that seems like a sensible idea. I am sure we would all like to learn more from the trunk's treasures.

Ian

@ all: thank you for your kind considerations and answers! I think in the first place maybe continuing the case with pictures and other 1912 until 1918 discoveries. The translation of the field letters into English language would be a sisyphus job, taking years and years (it took me alone months to decipher the Suetterlin letters into high German). Allow me some time, I have no real plan at the time. The disadvantage is that there maybe information which actually fits better in my previous postings within this thread. But weaving them in is impossible from a technical standpoint and from the viewer's/reader's standpoint. So if ......it has to survive a stand alone supplement/addendum

Hallo egbert,

I can´t believe it (ich traue meinen Augen nicht) 82 000 views and 900 replies!!!!!!!!! :wacko:

My best congratulations. Hope to read much more from you in this new year.

Viele Grüße

Fritz

Hello Egbert

I am new to the forum and have just read this wonderful thread right the way through so its now 2.20am here!! Thank you so much and if my school German survives - vielen vielen dank for sharing, and touching each of our lives in a very special way.

PS Is it possible to repost the restored picture of him with his colleagues as it seemed to not be accessible to me and I would have loved to have seen it.

If you mean the referenced thread 'The Ghost of Bois de Nieppe', I have rstored my pictures and have requested the forum owners to restore the other contributors pics since nearly 2 years, sadly to no avail

Guest gullifer
Hello Egbert

I am new to the forum and have just read this wonderful thread right the way through so its now 2.20am here!! Thank you so much and if my school German survives - vielen vielen dank for sharing, and touching each of our lives in a very special way.

Hear Hear!

Truly a great thread story pictures family history great stuff. Bet there are a few on the forum who are green with envy (me included) of how well documented this is i wish i could have as much information on my own family.

Dan

• 2 months later...

The trunk is locked and is back in a remote attic corner for coming generations to discover. Chester is now an old , retired m essenger dog but good enough to be the lordkeeper, whereas Lara is not interested in history and is only interested in food. Any paralells to humans acting?

P.S Thanx for reading Granddads story and make it to 84000 hits! R.I.P.

• 1 month later...

Hi Egbert,

the song is fine for me

Regards,

Cnock

Hi Egert,

Following on from the song about your Great Grandfathers box, I was wondering if you would give me permission to use some of the photos on this thread to create a video/slideshow to go along with the song. It would be tastefully done and sympathetic to the items you have shown us. I would of course let you see the finished article before publishing on Jonathans Mysapce page and only do so with your full consent. My idea is to show the items as they are introduced in the song, I feel that it would help "tell the story" and contextualise the meaning behind the song and the inspiration for it.