Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

On 29/11/2016 at 13:19, Jim Strawbridge said:

STAFFORDSHIRE, Burton-upon-Trent, Chasetown, Lichfield, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter, West Bromwich

Who/whose headsone in Tettenhall are you looking for?  Got any more details to go off?

Do you need. Photos of Linton graves?

20 hours ago, Matlock1418 said:

Who/whose headsone in Tettenhall are you looking for?  Got any more details to go off?

I need a photograph of the headstone of Eunice Cicely Boys ADAMS, Voluntary Aid Detachment member who died 1st February 1919 and is buried in St. Michael and All Angels churchyard.

22 minutes ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

I need a photograph of the headstone of Eunice Cicely Boys ADAMS, Voluntary Aid Detachment member who died 1st February 1919 and is buried in St. Michael and All Angels churchyard.

Tettenhall is just a couple of miles from me, I can easily do this one.

Roy

16 hours ago, chaz said:

Jim, looking for info on Lilian Stevens found this....

anything of interest looking down?

http://friendsofcm.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/20160327-Chippenham-RedX-hospital-female-staff.pdf

she was 43 years old at death

I have searched under Chippenham through my manuscript and cross-checked with the listing that you have provided.

I have Muriel Annie BELCHER, VAD, died 30th September 1914

The list shows her sister's, Dora and Evelyn BELCHER but not Muriel.

Doris and Ellen ROOKE, VADs were both casualties and are on the list. The Mrs Rooke shown could have been their mother although I cannot see a BRCS record card. Indeed, I cannot find a BRCS record card for any of the Chippenham Rookes. I cannot see a connection with the Miss M. Rooke but I am sure that there is one. A sister, Phyllis Mabel Rooke, may have gone under her second initial.

Lilian Annie STEVENS, VAD, is there as Mrs A. Stevens and I have found her recorded elsewhere as Mrs A. Stevens so she obviously went under her second name of Annie amongst family and friends. The age of 43 corresponds with Lilian's age at death in November 1918. Find My Past states that she is buried in St. Pauls cemetery but a search has not found her. Another look under the name of Annie may reveal her.

40 minutes ago, RoyEvans said:

Tettenhall is just a couple of miles from me, I can easily do this one.

Roy

Roy, Can you liase with Matlock 1418 as I wouldn't want you both to go ?  Jim

13 hours ago, Alisonmallen62 said:

Do you need. Photos of Linton graves?

Alison, I am after a photograph of the headstone of Mary Agnes HINCKS, VAD, who died 17th April 1920 and is buried in plot 519, Christ Church churchyard, Linton, Derbyshire. (note, this is not the Cambridgeshire Linton).

ISLE OF MAN

Saw this and thought of you!

You may know of it, but then again you might not [I've not trawled your whole thread just in case it is a bit of a repetition!] - Manx First World War Biographies [female] by Manx National Heritage / Manx Museum

http://imuseum.im/search/people/search?tab=people&view=&term=First+World+War+Biographies&firstname=&lastname=&title=&dfrom=&dto=&century=&nationality=&gender=F&occupation=&parish=&townvillage=&address=&subtype[]=First+World+War+Biographies&sort=&size=20

For those interested in IoM, then they have males too - not hard to find using the "Advanced" button [some other interesting search options there as well]

:-)

Jim, have responded will sort as soon as work/grandchildren etc allow, will be so interesting and a pleasure to help

On 22/12/2016 at 15:28, Matlock1418 said:

ISLE OF MAN

Saw this and thought of you!

You may know of it, but then again you might not [I've not trawled your whole thread just in case it is a bit of a repetition!] - Manx First World War Biographies [female] by Manx National Heritage / Manx Museum

http://imuseum.im/search/people/search?tab=people&view=&term=First+World+War+Biographies&firstname=&lastname=&title=&dfrom=&dto=&century=&nationality=&gender=F&occupation=&parish=&townvillage=&address=&subtype[]=First+World+War+Biographies&sort=&size=20

For those interested in IoM, then they have males too - not hard to find using the "Advanced" button [some other interesting search options there as well]

:-)

Thank you. I found the British Legion photographs on there very interesting, too.

Jim,

Thanks to CGM's directions, I found the Glass grave today, despite the sun directly in my eyes. It was a bit bigger than I was expecting.

I have some more shots, including the name panel, which I will send to you.

Phil

P1200565.JPG

Jim-  Do you have a MARY ILEENE HACK, died on 9th December 1918. Her small metal grave marker in the churchyard of St.Mary's. Wanstead, in the east of London, lists her as VAD and ASC. She was a nurse at a local military hospital-by implication Highams- then,after her health broke down, she became a driver of sorts for ASC. She is not on WGC (yet) but is in De Ruvigny.

If yes, I'nip round and take a pic. 

11 hours ago, Phil Evans said:

Jim,

Thanks to CGM's directions, I found the Glass grave today, despite the sun directly in my eyes. It was a bit bigger than I was expecting.

I have some more shots, including the name panel, which I will send to you.

Phil

Phil, Well done. What a grave marker ! The Red Cross at the very top is particularly striking. I look forward to receiving what you have.  Jim

Jim-  Do you have a MARY ILEENE HACK, died on 9th December 1918. Her small metal grave marker in the churchyard of St.Mary's. Wanstead, in the east of London, lists her as VAD and ASC. She was a nurse at a local military hospital-by implication Highams- then,after her health broke down, she became a driver of sorts for ASC. She is not on WGC (yet) but is in De Ruvigny.

If yes, I'nip round and take a pic. 

GUEST,  In theory I have her grave marker BUT mine is a normal plinth and cross of stone. I know nothing about a metal marker and am intrigued. So, yes, I would like to see what you have found, Jim

Jim,

Email sent with the Dropbox link.

In case anyone else has an interest in the memorial, I have attached a photo of the named panel. Although the memorial stands over two graves, there appear to be additional names on it.

Phil

P1200569.JPG

Jim

If you still want Selly Oak and Smethwick, send me details. I moved recently so a lot closer to them. Granddaughter also at Uni of Birmingham, so I will be over that way sooon (ish)

Steve

Hello Jim, I'm in Ipswich, and Rushmere is only a mile or so from home, so I can easily do those ones for you.

Let me know what you need.

Hello Jim,

I live between Welwyn and Essendon in Hertfordshire and Aldbury isn't that far I would guess.

How can I help?

Maxi

On 29/12/2016 at 10:26, Radlad said:

Walkden, Westhaughton and Bolton details please Jim. I have some free time in January so will have a scout round.

WALKDEN - Elizabeth Ann TUDGE, nurse. She died early July 1918 and is buried in St. Paul's churchyard, Walkden. Photo of grave marker required. Out of interest her name is on the memorial at St. John the Baptist church, Little Hulton - about 1.5 miles away. 

WESTHOUGHTON - Lucy GREENHALGH, died July 1918. She is buried in Westhoughton cemetery. Photo of grave marker required. Out of interest her name is on a memorial in Leigh church - about four miles away.

BOLTON - Ellen ALLISON, died in a zeppelin raid on 26th September 1916. She is buried in Tonge cemetery, Bolton. Photo of headstone required (if there is one).

Bridget Ellen IRWIN and Ellen Margaret IRWIN died in the same zeppelin raid and are buried in Tonge cemetery. Photo of headstones required (if there is one).

Ann McDERMOTT and Mary Ellen McDERMOTT died in the same zeppelin raid and is buried in Tonge cemetery. Photo of their headstones required (if there is one).

Martha O'HARA died in the same zeppelin raid and is buried in Tonge cemetery. Photo of her headstones required (if there is one).

Elizabeth and Ellen GREGORY, died in a zeppelin raid on 26th September 1916. She is buried in Heaton cemetery, Bolton. Photo of headstone required (if there is one). I have seen it mentioned that they did not have a headstone so please do not waste your time unless you have time on your hands to look.

I hope that you can help.

22 hours ago, stevem49 said:

Jim

If you still want Selly Oak and Smethwick, send me details. I moved recently so a lot closer to them. Granddaughter also at Uni of Birmingham, so I will be over that way sooon (ish)

Steve

Steve,

SELLY OAK

Bertha LARNER, VAD. died either 28th October 1918 or 6th November 1918. She is buried in grave 7345, Lodge Hill cemetery, Selly oak. Photo of her grave marker required.

SMETHWICK

Edith Emily ORGAN, munition worker, died 24th May 1918 and was buried in Smethwick Old Churchyard. An obituary stated "The funeral took place at The Old Church, Smethwick on Saturday, 1st June 1918, of Miss Edith Emily Organ [18] who died in the General Hospital as the result of an accident while at work at Piggott's Ltd, Spring Hill. She is buried with her mother, Fanny Frances Organ, who was buried in the same grave in 1928.

19 hours ago, FJM said:

Hello Jim, I'm in Ipswich, and Rushmere is only a mile or so from home, so I can easily do those ones for you.

Let me know what you need.

RUSHMERE

Renira Clementina CHEVALLIER, VAD, died 16th February 1919. She is buried in St. Andrew''s churchyard, Rushmere.

IPSWICH

Gladys Jessie COBBOLD, died 5th August 1917. She is buried in grave 34, division 3, section K, Ipswich Old Cemetery, Belvedere Road, Ipswich.

Thank you.

17 hours ago, maxi said:

Hello Jim,

I live between Welwyn and Essendon in Hertfordshire and Aldbury isn't that far I would guess.

How can I help?

Maxi

WELWYN

The name of Gertrude Lucinda ROSKELL, VAD, is on the Welwyn War Memorial. A photograph of her name on it is required. I have one off the Web but obviously someone else has copyright.

ESSENDON

Eleanor Grace BAMFORD and Frances Mary Louise BAMFORD died in a zeppelin raid on the 4th September 1916. They are buried in the churchyard at Essendon. A photograph of their grave is required.

ALDBURY

Amy Richardson died December 1918 and is buried in St. John the Baptist churchyard, Aldbury. A photograph of her grave is required.

Thank you.