Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

15 hours ago, Phil Evans said:

Jim,

As per my PM, I am not knowledgeable on London Zeppelin raids.

In case anyone else is able to pick up on your list, I have had limited success so far. Below are the ones I have located:

The Glass family are buried in Camberwell Old Cemetery. Grave 85/25077. Unless this is a special grave (other casualties are buried in what is probably an adjacent grave), there is next to no chance of finding it. I gave up with this cemetery long ago as the powers that be (Southwark Council?) just let it go to total rack and ruin under the pretext of providing a natural environment for little furry and feathered creatures.

The three Eltham casualties on your list are apparently buried in St John the Baptist Churchyard in Eltham.

My notes are on their way to you via email.

Phil

Thank you for the information which is gratefully received.

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Brought to the top again - here are my latest requirements

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Kirton, Peterhead

ANGLESEY, Maeshyfryd
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BERKSHIRE, Sulham St. Nicholas

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Radclive

CAMBRIDGESHIRE, Caldecote

CARDIGANSHIRE, Lampeter

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Abergwili

CARNARVONSHIRE, Phwllheli

CHESHIRE, Altrincham, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Sale

CORNWALL, Falmouth

DENBIGHSHIRE, Gwersyllt, Gwyddelwern

DERBYSHIRE, Linton, Ockbrook, Shirebrook, Taxal, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire), Pelton

ESSEX, East Ham

FIFESHIRE, St. Andrews

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Llantwit Major, Southerdown, Swansea, Ystalyfera,

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Berkeley, Oldbury on Severn

GWYNEDD, Boduan, Llanbedrog, New Quay, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Alverstoke, Curdridge, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial)

HERTFORDSHIRE - Aldbury, Essendon, Welwyn

HUNTINGDONSHIRE, Kimbolton

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine, Dunboe, Londonderry), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed)

ISLE OF MAN, Marown

KENT, Ashford, Beckenham, Crayford, Folkestone, Gillingham, Swanscombe, Tunbridge Wells

LANARKSHIRE, Airdie

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Blackburn, Bolton, Chadderton, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, Eccles, Liverpool (Kirkdale), Pendlebury, Sale, Walkden, Westhoughton, Wigan

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay, Lincoln, Mumby, Sausthorpe, Whaplode Drove, Willoughby
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Ham, East Sheen, Frierns Barnet, Greenwich, Hampstead, Hampton, Harrow, Havering (Romford), Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green, Kensington, Lewisham, Norwood x 2, Nunhead, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden

LOTHIAN Edinburgh x 2, Loanhead

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Abersychan

NORFOLK, Sheringham

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Duston
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Nottingham
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford

PERTHSHIRE, Dunblane
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Burton-upon-Trent, Chasetown, Lichfield, Ocker Hill, Ogley Hay, Tettenhall, Tipton, Uttoxeter, Walsall, West Bromwich

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Ipswich (+ Rushmere, Ipswich), Lowestoft
SURREY, Bramley, Brookwood, Burgh Heath, Chessington, Chiddingfold, Guildford, Kingswood
SUSSEX, Arlington, Bexhill-on-Sea, Eastbourne, Horsham
WARWICKSHIRE, Selly Oak, Smethwick
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Altofts, Barnsley, Eston, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Low Moor, Redcar, Scarborough, Sheffield, South Anston, Staithes, Wakefield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Western Australia (Albany, Denmark x 2), New South Wales (Kogarah, Manley, Millthorpe, Milton x 2, Rockwood, Rookwood, Waverley x 2), South Australia (Terowie), Tasmania (Holbart), Victoria (Castlemaine, Langley, Swanwater)
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Alberta (Edmonton), New Brunswick (Sackville), Newfoundland (B
rigus), Nova Scotia (12), Ontario (Brantford, London, Paris), Prince Edward Island (Charlottetown, Souris), Quebec (Gatineau, Hull)

EGYPT, Alexandria

FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux, Sallanches
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Clare (Ennistymon), Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Deansgrange, Drumcondra, Glasnevin and Dublin),
Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Limerick,
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

POLAND, Warsaw
SERBIA, Belgrade, Kragujevac
SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Pacheco, Redlands, San Andreas), Colorado (Pueblo, Wheat Ridge), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Connecticut (Windsor), Illinois (Beardstown, Cairo, Evanston, Marion, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ames, Anamosa, Davenport), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2, Foxborough), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Cresskill, Swedesboro, Trenton), New York (Bellevue, Brooklyn, Oneonta, Poughkeepsie, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Bedford, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barr), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Virginia (Fredericksburg), Washington (Washington), West Virginia (Clarksburg), Wisconsin (Superior)

on - Kent (Folkestone), London (Eltham), Lanarkshire (Airdrie), Lothian (Edinburgh), Staffordshire (Walsall), Surrey (Chessington), Warwickshire (Selly Oak), Australia (Victoria - Castlemaine)

off - Co. Down (Bangor), London (Eltham, Woolwich), The Orkneys (Hoy), Bordighera (Italy)

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Do you really need someone from Hoy still, Jim? I thought we'd covered that.

I am in Alverstoke, Hampshire so let me know what you need from there.

seaJane

3 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Wikipedia says that. But I have been searching to find out where. I have found an entry in the Shreveport Times, Louisiana, dated 17th March 1918 - BURIED. London, March 16. -The funeral of Mrs. Lena Guilbert Ford and her son, Walter Ford, the two Americans who lost their lives in last week's air raid on London, was held today from the Church of St. Saviour, in Paddington borough". What I do not know is if this was purely a funeral service but it looks like they were buried according the the report. Perhaps they were exhumed and reinterred in the US.

I didn't take this information from Wikipedia but from an account I found somewhere else on line (but which I can't seem to locate now) which included a description of how a domestic servant saved Lena Ford's mother when the house was destroyed. St Saviour's vicarage was also wrecked by the same bomb and the vicar, who as a special constable, was on duty at Maida Vale tube station, at the time, ran to where the bomb had landed. It is very likely that he would have held a Memorial service at St Saviours, for those killed in the blast in addition to holding funeral services when required. I notice that the probate information shows that the beneficiary of Lena's estate was Antoinette Mary Brown. Was this her mother ? If so did she return to the U.S. If so she may have wanted her daughter and grandson's remains to go with her. It may be worth checking to see if Lena and Walter were cremated in the Kensal Green Crematorium.

8 hours ago, seaJane said:

Do you really need someone from Hoy still, Jim? I thought we'd covered that.

I am in Alverstoke, Hampshire so let me know what you need from there.

seaJane

Hello Jane, Long time no sea !!  No, I don't really need anything from Hoy following your visit. I still cannot help wondering if her body was recovered and is under the memorial but no way of telling. I will take her off my list.

My Alverstoke requirement is :-

Kathleen Felicia Devereux WOODS, V.A.D. who died 30th October 1918 and is buried in St. Mark Cemetery, Alverstoke.

Regards,

Jim

Hi Jim

Having talked to various people and seen the place where the whaler hit the mine, I would be surprised if her body was ever recovered, to be honest. Besides, I would have expected recovery to have been noted in the local papers, at which point someone would have found it, given all the recent research.

I was discussing Miss Woods with someone local recently who had found her gravestone and was trying to locate her father's house (which I pass every day) so I should be able to get that photo easily.

sJ

On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 18:35, Phil Evans said:

Hello Jim,

What are your latest wants in Greenwich, Lewisham and Nunhead?

I just love the expeditions you send me on :unsure:

Phil

Me too - sort of :)

I put my head above the parapet earlier in the year and said I'd look at Rushmere and Kessingland, (btw you might want to amend your list to show its Rushmere near Ipswich as I went to the wrong one, Rushmere near Lowestoft). You asked for a picture of the headstone of Kate M Crawford, died 9/8/15, following a Zeppelin Raid and buried in St Edmund's Churchyard.

Indeed the local paper, the Eastern Daily Press, had an article on the 3rd September 2014.

"It was thought the victim of the raid on August 9 1915 was a Helen Cook, of 86 High Street, in Lowestoft, who was said to have perished when a bomb fell in Lovewell Road. However, local historian and author Ivan Bunn has unearthed evidence that shows this was not the case. The only victim to die in that bombing raid was, in fact, 19-year-old Katie Marie Crawford, whose family lived at Oaklands Terrace, Kessingland.

There is no memorial or headstone to mark Miss Crawford’s last resting place, (my emphasis) and no record of her death or burial was reported the local press.

But, after researching documents held at Lowestoft Record Office, where he works, Mr Bunn has found a copy of her death certificate which shows she died “from being crushed and suffocated as the result of a collapse of a house caused by the explosion of shell or bomb discharged from a hostile aircraft”.

The house in question was the corner shop run by pork butcher and general dealer, Arthur Stebbings, where Miss Crawford worked as a live-in kitchen maid.

She was buried in the graveyard at St Edmund’s Church, Kessingland, on August 16, 1915.

Against the entry in the burial register, the rector of Kessingland, the Rev Ralph B. Forster, added the following detail: “Killed by a bomb from a German Zeppelin in Lowestoft on Monday August 9th at 10.30pm. The girl was in service in Lowestoft and was to have been married in October. "

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/local_historian_solves_first_world_war_mystery_of_lowestoft_bombing_victim_1_3756199

(There is more family history in the article but basically it looks like the Crawford family didn't move there until 1914 and the family connections lie elsewhere).

So I travelled down in mid-August absolutely determined just to look for the headstone and absolutely no way end up researching the names on any war memorial I found along the way. To keep me disciplined I made it one of six places I needed to fit in.

Well the churchyard of Kessingland St Edmund turned out to be much larger than I was anticipating. I ignored the war memorial and concentrated on headstones, which took the best part of an hour to inspect, although the number of kerbstone type memorials that were overgrown, "conservation-area style", means I cannot be 100% certain that I saw all the details. I only found one headstone with the surname Crawford and that was a young couple in their early thirties who died at the start of the 1890's, so couldn't have been Kates' parents.

Before I gave up altogether, I checked out the inside of the church. I still didn't find anything out about Kate Crawford, but one name attached to the bottom of the brass plaque war memorial in the church caught my eye - VAD Ethel E Strowger.

31180603722_8e6869596c.jpgKessingland War Memorial (inside the church) by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

I'd already seen a headstone for Ethel in the churchyard, although no mention of being a VAD, and it stuck in mind because of the rareness of the surname and that the side-panel of her memorial also referenced a Second Lieutenant Charles Catchpole. So back I went taking photographs.

30408842664_2350798dfe.jpgEthel Strowger - VAD 1918 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

31115610151_c00e4a1dfe.jpgEthel Strowger - VAD 1918 (dedication) by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

And a check of the War Memorial in the churchyard reveals she is also remembered there, although the WW1 panel is showing its age.

30914507910_b787e34f21.jpgKessingland War memorial - Great War 3 of 3 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

So three and a half months and 52 War Memorial names researched later, the results are, no luck on Kate Crawford and a minor mystery on Ethel - I haven't found any other reference to her as a VAD or how she died. She died in the Poole District on the 7th November 1918. The British Red Cross web-site has a Mrs Ethel Elizabeth Catchpole who was resident in Bournemouth, (Catchpole was in her maiden name) but she could very well have been a completely different person. There is more on the family history on the write up that accompanies those photographs.

I'll send you over copies of the pictures shortly,

regards,

Peter

Edited by PRC
30/11/2016 Typos

20 hours ago, Myrtle said:

............. It may be worth checking to see if Lena and Walter were cremated in the Kensal Green Crematorium.

There were very few Crematoria in the London area during WW1 and Kensal Green was not one of them ( built in 1939 ).

As far as I am aware only Woking, Golders Green, City of London and West Norwood had been opened.

CGM

On 28/11/2016 at 21:01, Phil Evans said:

Jim,

The Glass family are buried in Camberwell Old Cemetery. Grave 85/25077. Unless this is a special grave (other casualties are buried in what is probably an adjacent grave), there is next to no chance of finding it. I gave up with this cemetery long ago as the powers that be (Southwark Council?) just let it go to total rack and ruin under the pretext of providing a natural environment for little furry and feathered creatures.

Phil

Phil, I have a copy of the grave plan for Square 85 as I used it to find an IFCP grave some time ago.

This Square includes the Screen Wall so, apart from being waterlogged after heavy rain, is accessible and well cared for.

I can't see me getting back there in the near future but if you are able and would like a copy of the plan I can certainly email it too you.

CGM 

Yes, I do have it.

The position of the grave should be fairly easy to identify if the paths have not been moved since the plan was drawn up.

CGM

2 hours ago, Jim Strawbridge said:

Phil, Well done for discovering Ethel Strowger. She is totally new to me. I have also reassigned Rushmere.

Jim,

I can't really take the credit for that one - it's Peter.

Phil

Re Agnes Fanny HOLLINSHEAD, munition worker, (aged 16). died in the 4th quarter 1917. buried in Eston cemetery

Bit of background on Agnes Fanny Hollinshead

Daughter of Sion George and Agnes Hollinshead (you most likely have this)

Her father Sion was Killed in action 5th July 1916

CWGC  register entry

Soldiers effects for Sion Ancestry link

Family on the 1911 census Ancestry Link

Two of her brothers served George Hollinshead  and John Charles Hollinshead

Pte 22727 12th Yorks George Hollinshead (brother) service papers Ancestry Link

Pte 39965 West .Riding .Regiment  John Charles Robert Hollinshead 

Sion reported missing  N.E.D.G 5th July 1916

5th aug 1916 nedg.JPG

Reported missing now killed N.E.D.G 30th August 1916

30th aug 1916.JPG

Regards Ray

Regards Ray

Sorry, Peter,, for mis-accrediting you. Thank you, also, Ray, for the above details on George Hollinswood. An interesting one as his mother pleaded for his return following the death of her other son, the army releases him to go home and work as an iron ore miner providing he reports regularly to the police and after a while he, whilst still an army reservist, joins the Navy. Luckily the army accepted the position and released him.  

Just a small correction Jim it was Mrs Hollinshead's husband who was killed  in action

both sons survived the war

Regards Ray

21 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Just a small correction Jim it was Mrs Hollinshead's husband who was killed  in action

both sons survived the war

Regards Ray

Oh, bother. I am not doing very well, am I?

Jim,

I headed East of town last weekend and had mixed fortunes.

At Woolwich Cemetery, I was unable to find the Pearce grave. The numbers suddenly changed. I've done a bit more research and will have to visit again and see if they are in a different row.

I popped into Greenwich and am still convinced that Eleanor Dabner's grave is unmarked and in a large open area, totally bereft of gravestones.

At St John's, Eltham, I found the Allen grave and have attached one of the photos. The grass is long and the holes are deep. I couldn't find Ellen Funnell's grave. The description of " a small memorial nearby" wasn't accurate enough. I will give it another go when I can. The churchyard is a lot bigger than I imagined.

CGM has kindly forwarded the details for Camberwell Old Cemetery and I will head West somewhen in the next few weeks.

I will forward the photos of the Allen grave after my second visit to Woolwich.

Phil

Allen grave at Eltham.jpg

Phil, Thank you for the update. If you are convinced that the Dabner grave is unmarked that will be good enough for me and I would welcome a photograph of the open area where you think she is. I appreciate what you are doing and look forward to the results, Jim

I visited the graveyard at St John's in Eltham a few years ago.  It sounds like it hasn't improved since then, although the grass was a bit shorter.  It's the sort of cemetery I call an "ankle-breaker" as it was very poorly maintained.  It's also one of the few cemeteries that I have felt uncomfortable in - very noisy due to traffic on the busy roads on two sides and also partly overlooked by a tower block.  There are two parts to the cemetery and it would be easy to miss the western half as there was only a small gap in a hedge to get through, and this section has another hedge down the middle.

I've gone through my images and don't have anything for Funnell, although I wouldn't have been looking for it.  I've got an image of the Allen grave due to the reference on it to a zeppelin raid.  The memorial was erected by fellow workmen of Frederick Allen and Ann and Gladys are not mentioned by name, rather just as "his wife aged 36 years, and their daughter aged 11 years".  A larger version of the image is available on request.

Ian

20120310-0054.jpg

Ian,

That looks like a lawn compared to how I found it. Anything smaller than a full size headstone was buried in thick grass.

I didn't have time to go through to the other section, although I was probably there for about an hour and assumed that the description for Ellen's grave as "nearby" meant that in normal circumstances I would be able to see it from the Allen grave. The proliferation of footstones didn't help. I intend to give it another shot within the next few weeks.

Phil

2 minutes ago, Phil Evans said:

I intend to give it another shot within the next few weeks.

Phil,

My visit was in March 2012.  Maybe they cut the grass once a year?  If so then perhaps it is better to wait a few months.  The attached map shows where the second part of the graveyard is.  I only realised it was there as I still had a few names on my list that I hadn't found yet.  From memory the graves in the western part are more recent, so CWGC graves I was looking for from WW2 are here.  It is this part of the cemetery I felt uncomfortable in as it's enclosed by hedges and a high wall, overlooked and the ground is very poorly maintained.  There was also evidence of inappropriate activity - empty beer cans and a few syringes - probably because it is very secluded.  If I had a loved one buried there I would not be happy.

Ian

St John's Eltham.jpg

14 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Happy to cover Northern Ireland. ?

Thank you for the offer. This is what I currently have outstanding :-

Co. Tyrone - Nellie BRANNIGAN, QMAAC, died 30th March 1919. Buried in the Church of Ireland cemetery , Edenderry. It is a CWGC grave but records state "cross not desired". I hope this means no cross on the headstone rather than no headstone at all. I can ask the CWGC if required to save a fruitless visit.

Emily GRAY, QAIMNS, died January 1919. She is buried in Minterburn cemetery (opposite the Presbyterian church). Accepted for CWGC commemoration in 2010. Hopefully headstone now installed. Her grave is the first on the left side of gate on entering the graveyard. Her brother is on a memorial in Minterburn Presbyterian Church and worth checking to see if his sister is there, too.

Co. Londonderry - Norah DUGAN, VAD, died 26th July 1916, is buried in Articlave, Coleraine.

Mary Louise MORRELL, QAIMNS, died 27th June 1921 is buried in St. Paul's churchyard, Dunboe.

Laura Marian GAILEY, VAD, died 24th March 1917. Her name is on a memorial tablet in Kilfennan Presbyterian Church, 54 Rossdowney Road, Londonderry.

Any help will be appreciated.

Jim,

I think I will take Ian's advice and wait until they cut the grass at St John's before I have another go at looking for Ellen Funnell's grave.

I appear to be third time lucky at Woolwich Cemetery. The Pearce grave is unmarked and after mapping half of plot 34, I have now worked it out and photographed the plot.

I assume that you already have Winifred Daw's CWGC headstone (Worker 7319 QMAAC). If not, I have photos.

I also came across Gertrude Luce Keyworth in my wanderings (see below). Does she fall within your current remit?

I know it is not WW1, but I couldn't resist taking a photo of the headstone of Sister Gladys M M Richards-Lockwood SRN QAIMNS.

Phil

PhilP1200484.JPGP1200489.JPG