Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

17 hours ago, Phil Evans said:

Jim,

I see Greenwich, Camberwell, Lewisham and Nunhead are back on the list. What are you after?

Phil

Phil,

CAMBERWELL - Lydia Elizabeth GIBSON, munition worker, died in October 1916 and is buried in Camberwell, Old Cemetery. Unfortunately I do not have the plot number and it is quite possible that the grave is unmarked.

NUNHEAD - Emily COPPARD, VAD, died in 1918 (November?) and is buried in Nunhead Cemetery in Cons. Square 23, plot 5644. A photograph of her headstone if there is one or a photograph of the plot if there isn't.

The other two locations were left on my list in error.

Jim

Edited by Jim Strawbridge

Jim,

Emily Coppard has come up before, in fact it was me that gave you the grave number - see post 1621. Square 23 is unmarked common graves and I sent you some photos of it in February last year.

Unfortunately my Deceased Online subscription ran out last week, so I will need to know the grave reference for Lydia Gibson before I attempt it.

Phil

On 17/01/2017 at 19:22, Phil Evans said:

Jim,

Emily Coppard has come up before, in fact it was me that gave you the grave number - see post 1621. Square 23 is unmarked common graves and I sent you some photos of it in February last year.

Unfortunately my Deceased Online subscription ran out last week, so I will need to know the grave reference for Lydia Gibson before I attempt it.

Phil

Phil,

I downloaded two photographs from your Dropbox in February last year and thought that both were for M.E. Shaw, I didn't realise that they were one for Shaw and one for Coppard. Unfortunately I don't know which is which now and your Dropbox has been cleared. But I don't suppose that it matters as both plots were pretty overgrown. I don't subscribe to Deceased Online and cannot find the Lydia Gibson plot numbers by Googling. We shall have to hope that someone else reads this note and can help,  Jim

Hello Jim,

Around that time, I uploaded a batch (7) of general views of the jungle that is Square 23. I think you can say that they are representative of any common grave in that square

They look like this.

Phil

P1180621.JPG

rogress report,  not sure if you already have the information but thought I would update you, also see query re. Ellen Allison.

WALKDEN - Elizabeth Ann TUDGE, nurse. She died early July 1918 and is buried in St. Paul's churchyard, Walkden. Photo of grave marker required. Out of interest her name is on the memorial at St. John the Baptist church, Little Hulton - about 1.5 miles away. 

More research taking place

WESTHOUGHTON - Lucy GREENHALGH, died July 1918. She is buried in Westhoughton cemetery. Photo of grave marker required. Out of interest her name is on a memorial in Leigh church - about four miles away.

Died aged 35  on 29/7/18. Interred in the ‘new section’ section C, grave 172 ( non conformist) on 2/8/18  at Westhoughton Cemetery

Completed. Photos and details sent to Jim but further research being carried out.

BOLTON - Ellen ALLISON, died in a zeppelin raid on 26th September 1916. She is buried in Tonge cemetery, Bolton. Photo of headstone required (if there is one).

Unable to trace any details of internment in any Bolton or Wigan records. Cemetery records for Tonge do not include the Allisons. Research ongoing

Bridget Ellen IRWIN and Ellen Margaret IRWIN died in the same zeppelin raid and are buried in Tonge cemetery. Photo of headstones required (if there is one).

Buried in the R/C section in Tonge cemetery. Division 4, section S1, grave 16

Completed. Photos and details sent to Jim

Ann McDERMOTT and Mary Ellen McDERMOTT died in the same zeppelin raid and is buried in Tonge cemetery. Photo of their headstones required (if there is one).

Buried in the R/C section of Tonge cemetery. Division 4, section V1, grave 16

Martha O'HARA died in the same zeppelin raid and is buried in Tonge cemetery. Photo of her headstones required (if there is one).

Buried in the C.of E. Section of Tonge Cemetery. Division 3, sectionL3, grave 13

Elizabeth and Ellen GREGORY, died in a zeppelin raid on 26th September 1916. She is buried in Heaton cemetery, Bolton. Photo of headstone required (if there is one).

Buried in the R/C section of Heaton cemetery. Division 3, section L3, grave 30

Edited by Radlad
Updated 27/2/17

On ‎08‎/‎05‎/‎2016 at 13:00, Jim Strawbridge said:

Peter,

SHERINGHAM

All Saint's Churchyard, Mary Ann WEST, munition worker, buried 5th March 1915, aged 16.

KESSINGLAND

St. Edmund's Churchyard, Kate M. CRAWFORD, died 9/8/15 following German zeppelin raid.

LOWESTOFT

Lowestoft Cemetery (Normanston Drive), plot L/12/556, Helen Grace COOK, died 9/8/15 following German zeppelin raid.

I have yet to find the graves of Annie Elizabeth Davey (and her brother) who were killed by enemy bombardment on 25th April 1916.

MELLIS

St. Margaret's Churchyard (north west corner), Mildred LEEPER, VAD, died April 1916.

RUSHMERE

St. Andrew's Churchyard, Renira Clementina CHAVALLIER, VAD, died 16th February 1919.

A check of local war memorials may also yield names.

Jim,

I've been down to Lowestofts Civic Cemetery a couple of times now looking for these graves and both times drawn a blank.

According to the local council's website, as well as Helen Grace Cook being buried in grave L/12/556, Annie Elizabeth Davey and her 16 year old brother Sidney Herbert are buried together in L/13/408. A small child that died with them in the bombardment, Robert Vernon Mumford is buried in L/13/418E.

We can ignore the "L" as that just refers to Lowestoft. The first time I went armed only with knowledge of where the official war graves were - including that there were a lot of them in section 13 starting with 370 and going through to 400, all circa 1916. The second time I fleshed it out with details from the council site of which civilian graves were in the same area.

General details about the cemetery are that the top third, (its on a slope) consists of five areas, each separated by a tree-lined path apart from the extreme left which is a low hedge into the new extension for more recent deaths and the extreme right which is the wall separating the cemetery from the main road, The cemetery road up to this part takes you to a large cross of remembrance which the road then loops round on either side before going off to the new extension. The cross is just off centre of the five areas. The numbering system defeated me on the first visit as there are no section markers and I couldn't even find a CWGC grave that had the location etched on the side, (as they sometimes do), so had to go from where the CWGC web-site says they are.

If you stand facing up the hill with the memorial in front of you, then in the plot in front on the right there are a significant number of war-graves, stretching about two thirds of the way across the area. They are a mix of standard CWGC pattern headstones and private memorials. the first two rows are in section 14, circa 380 - 405, numbering from left to right as you look at them. The second two rows are section 13, with the furthest right being grave 400.  the next civilian graves up the slope are in section 12. Pacing out based on the distances of the existing plots it would be possible to get to grave 408 but you'd be close to the tree roots. However, the whole area from grave 400 to the trees appears undisturbed.

Going from the council records, a significant number of those buried in this area from the 1910 - 1920 area were either elderly workhouse inhabitants or very young children, so I suspect there could be a number of unmarked paupers graves in the part of the cemetery - that certainly seems to be the case in the next area across towards the road where there are a considerable number of grassy mounds but very few headstones.

Drawing a blank on Annie, Sidney & Robert, I then tried a similar process with Helen Grace Cook. "If" I've got the right approximate location, (and its a big if as the numbering from one area to the next isn't consistent), then there are several kerb-stone type memorials that look like they have been vandalised with a sledgehammer, leaving nothing readable.

Someone else is welcome to try but I feel there is now nothing to find for any of them,

Sorry about that,

Peter

Edited by PRC
21/01/17 - typo

Hi Jim,

I can have a go at Friern Barnet, Hampstead and Harrow for starters.

Regards,

Nick

If you still require Dunblane my husband will do it Tuesday or Wednesday.If you give me details.

Mary.

Having found Mary Hincks grave it seems the village church goers are searching for her home and at least remembering her.  I found her enormous house and her husband was the colliery manager so a well paid position, plenty of census documentation and will info on ancestry. They have perhaps one of the best resting places in the church grounds yet it had been allowed to become overgrown.  Sad really to think that we must all pass graves of people who achieved amazing things and yet we just dnt know.  This is such a worthwhile task Jim, many thanks.

21 hours ago, TheMasseyShaw said:

Hi Jim,

I can have a go at Friern Barnet, Hampstead and Harrow for starters.

Regards,

Nick

Hello Nick,

FRIERN BARNET - photo of headstone of Monica Machin FERGUSON, VAD, who died on 21st November 1918. She is in St. James the Great churchyard. I can let you have a poor photograph of it for identification to save you spending too long looking for it. The one that I have is off the Web, is quite poor and, of course, I do not have the copyrightholder's permission.  Her name is also on the Friern Barnet War Memorial which is in the same churchyard. I need a photo of her name on that, too, please.

HAMPSTEAD - photo of the headstone of Mabel HARDIE, Scottish Women's Hospital, who died 12th July 1916 (or within the five months after) and is buried in Hampstead Cemetery. Also a photo of the headstone of Phyllis Mary PAINE, VAD, who died in the July 1919 and is buried in the same cemetery. Also a photograph of the headstone of Esther SEYMOUR, Mercantile Marine, who died 27th February 1916 and is buried in section G8, plot 41, in the same cemetery.

HARROW - photo of the headstone of Dorothy Cranfield GOODMAN, VAD, who died 4th April 1916. She is buried in grave 22/3692, Harrow Cemetery.

regards, Jim

16 hours ago, mysie said:

If you still require Dunblane my husband will do it Tuesday or Wednesday.If you give me details.

Mary.

Thank you for the offer, Mary. Actually the one that I want was only accepted by the CWGC last year so a grave marker will not yet be in place.

Jim, sent you some photos of the grave of Renira Chevallier in Rushmere St Andrew churchyard a few days ago by email, not sure if you received them. Let me know if not and I'll try again.

FJM

3 hours ago, FJM said:

Jim, sent you some photos of the grave of Renira Chevallier in Rushmere St Andrew churchyard a few days ago by email, not sure if you received them. Let me know if not and I'll try again.

FJM

Hello FJM, Nothing has come through so far. I am PMing you direct with my email address.

Hello Jim 

Do you have Mrs Martha Grounsell born 08 December 1890 in your records? 

She worked at New Zealand Hospital, Brockenhurst.

Found two references on Red Cross Database but now not able to connect.

Barbara

Husband of Nurse Grounsell.png

23 hours ago, BarbaraG said:

Hello Jim 

Do you have Mrs Martha Grounsell born 08 December 1890 in your records? 

She worked at New Zealand Hospital, Brockenhurst.

Found two references on Red Cross Database but now not able to connect.

Barbara

Husband of Nurse Grounsell.png

Barbara,

My research is into WW1 serving female casualties  ie  they died serving their country. Nurse Grounsell survived so outside anything that I have records on.

Many thanks Jim - she came to light while I was looking for the elusive Margaret E Bramfitt - both having worked at the New Zealand Hospital.

Barbara